The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 think snake is going into shed. advice?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
heaton177 Posted - 13/09/2009 : 13:14:51
hello i got my snake a week and a bit ago (friday the 4th) th woman in the petshop fed it on the day i bought it the friday just gone i tried to feed it but it refused it. i did handle it once or twice within the 1st week buit stpped as i got advise to on my hello post :) i tried offering her it again today and she refused it again. she seems to be hiding in her hide and not moving alot exept in her hide, and she seems to shy away abit when i try and offer her the food.
her eyes have gone duller and i do think she is going to shed, i this why she might be refusing her food? i have put a tub of spaghum moss in her viv at the cool end, and i out her in it and she stayed in it for a bit and moved out of it. why should i offer her the food again if se is starting to shed? as i dont want her to starve. or what should i do for her to make it easier or to feed her.
she is only a couple of months old will this harm her not feeding?
i took 3 pictures of her tell me what you think about her, she look like shes going into shed?
http://yfrog.com/16090913124339j
http://yfrog.com/5a090913124651j
http://yfrog.com/10090913124717j

thnx chris.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
heaton177 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 21:43:55
i have got a see through tub with a hole cut in the lid with spaghum moss in. will she go in that even though it is see through?
boze Posted - 15/09/2009 : 19:02:56
You should really put a damp hide in to make sure all her skin comes off properly. Just cut a hole in the lid of a marg tub or something similar and put 3 or 4 damp paper towels or some sphagnum moss in the bottom of it. Mind and smooth down the edges of the hole

Next thing you know youll have a perfectly shed wee snake!

D
heaton177 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 17:10:06
i had alook round like you said but i only saw bits and pieces, but ihad a good look at flame and she still has alot of her skin still on her. how long should i give her befor i should help her shed? and what are the best techniques to help her shedding?
lee2308 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 11:33:38
isnakes do sleep.If you have found skin i would have a good look around the viv four the rest of it,look in the hide,my always sheds in his hide and it is perfectly rolled up.
heaton177 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 08:02:24
just as i say that she came out. i woke up thismornin and looked at her viv to see any signs of movement, and she had pushed all the substrate out of her hide. didnt think noting of it and went and got my breakfast, come back up and there she was lay there. i dont know if she was there befor i went down bt i didnt see here haha anyway she was mooching around so i presume its food. i can see her head in her hide so i put a mouse in the door of her hide and she eats it. she must have been hungry :) this is prob a silly question but do snakes sleep ? and i think i p***ed her off. i just looked at her and she had a bit of aspen in her mouth so i got some tweesers and got it out and she striked at me :( i found a bit of skin in her viv aswel but there aint much, only 2 little pieces.
Blackecho Posted - 14/09/2009 : 22:54:37
Quite often if they're going into shed you just won't see them for a week or two. They feel vulnerable and like to stay hidden away.
heaton177 Posted - 14/09/2009 : 22:44:48
ok :) i dont know if its going into shed but i think its getting the film over its eyes. when there going into shed should they still waggle there tongue? i havent actually seen her out of her hide since she went in the viv when i got her on the friday befor last. should i worry?
Gingerpony Posted - 14/09/2009 : 21:07:41
i re-freeze prey items providing they haven't been out for ages.......
snakes are opportunists and will decided if they don't want to eat something that's too far gone, some of mine seem to have a preference for re-frozen then re-thawed items

BUT in this instance, a new Royal that's in shed, i doubt i'd even bother defrosting anything till it's shed
heaton177 Posted - 14/09/2009 : 17:27:22
thnx mate, im just tinking the worst as i dont know anything about snakes other than what ive said and as you all know whats wrote down are onli a guide line and it doesnt always go the way its wrote down, you are all very helpful on this site thnx for the help so far, as i said i am new and any info will help me.

thnx chris.
russm Posted - 14/09/2009 : 09:29:58
I just got a new 4 year old female and she was in shed when I got her. She was due a feed not long after I got her but she would not take it. A couple of days later she had shed so I offered her another meal and she nailed it. She was in a huge huff while in shed as well, hissing at me every time I went into the viv but now she is back to the usual royal temprament. I am sure yours will be the same. Good luck.
heaton177 Posted - 14/09/2009 : 07:55:32
ok thnx, i havent reali seen her move but i think she is moving of a night. ill let you all no how it goes on.

thnx fr your help.
Remmy Posted - 13/09/2009 : 19:44:00
I wouldn`t offer more food until after the shed and once you have defrosted the food throw it away dont refreeze it
heaton177 Posted - 13/09/2009 : 19:19:35
ok thnx, should i keep trying to offer her the food? is it ok defrosting the food and then re-freezing it again? or should i buy a new 1?

thnx chris
Gingerpony Posted - 13/09/2009 : 16:52:10
after their eyes clear again they usually shed within about a week, best to not handle them during this time until they have actually shed.
some will feed if they're in shed, some won't...... so don't be alarmed if you get another refusal, skipping 2 feeds isn't much for a royal, even a hatchie

heaton177 Posted - 13/09/2009 : 16:04:43
well i think her eyes are gettinga film over them, and that means there going into shed? how long does the process normaly take?
Blackecho Posted - 13/09/2009 : 13:25:16
Can't really tell from those, but I wouldn't be handling a non-feeding Royal.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000