The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Shedding and humidity

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Heffa Posted - 19/09/2009 : 14:45:25
Hiya

Finally I have setup all good and Heffa is happy. Eventually I had to get a small electric heater and boost my room temp. Its all good. Humidity stays in line with the room.

Just a quickie question though.

I think Heffa is going into shed, her eyes look normal with only slight dullness, her eyes have not turned blue.

Her skin is slightly dull, but has not faded or gone grey like in the pics i see on here and in books. Is she going into shed?

If so, what level of humidity should I rise it too, as I only spray the bedding slightly to achieve this. Her bedding type is kitchen roll.

Appreciate any advice
Thanks
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
spor Posted - 30/09/2009 : 09:49:13
good for her and you of course. pics when you can so we can get a look at your nice shinny snake.
Heffa Posted - 30/09/2009 : 08:30:43
She shed last night YAY and did the biggest poo and wee.

She shed in two parts, and when i found it, it was twisted up like a ball lol.

Checked the shedded skin and the cover over her eyes is there, near the vent area, it has a small hole but looks like she shed the skin to that area. I checked her over last night and she doesnt look like she has any excess skin.

Quickie question: Humidity even with damp hide in was between 50 and 65. With the damp hide out, the rub all cleaned out and put back in as normal, the humidity this morning was 68 to 70. Dont understand the increase, maybe just a humid night i guess.

Im so happy that she has shed tho, taken my mind off it
Heffa Posted - 29/09/2009 : 23:00:39
I did start using paper towel but then people told me that lying on a damp papertowel for too long would be any good for her. So that is why i went for the moss.

all bagged up and in the freezer, ready to boil tomorrow :)
boze Posted - 29/09/2009 : 19:24:35
The new philly tubs are perfect :) I use damp paper towels as theyre already sanitary, make no mess, store easily and theyre a tiny bit rough to the touch which is great for a snake in shed.

D
Heffa Posted - 29/09/2009 : 15:19:59
Cool, she will be ok till tomorrow when I can do it, wont she?

I just didnt think to freeze it and boil it, as the caresheet said just wet it.
Will get a cheap tupperware box tomorrow as well. Just have to try and find one that is big enough for her, small enough for the 9L rub and dont get in the way of the water bowl lol ;)
spor Posted - 29/09/2009 : 15:04:53
yep boil and freeze for me to. best way to kill any nasty bugs. As BE does i have a couple of bunches ready in the freezer for when i need them. check out this link for making a moss hide it will help hold the humidity a bit better.
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1399

Freyja is sitting in hers at the minute and has been there for a couple of days. She just went cloudy eyes last night.
Heffa Posted - 29/09/2009 : 11:19:54
Cool. Thanks for that. I havent been freezing it or boiling it, so I hope she hasnt caught any crawlies.

Does everyone do that or just soak it and rinse it through?

I will freeze them tonight and follow the process tomorrow, cos i only want the best for Heffa :)
Blackecho Posted - 29/09/2009 : 09:25:15
It should be damp but not wet.

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=710
Heffa Posted - 29/09/2009 : 09:11:01
the moss is still in her normal cool hide, so the entrance is at the side, so after she had a go in it, a little bit of the moss spreads on the kitchen towel but not too messy and i clear it up when si get home.

Could I be squeezing too much water out of the moss. My sister says it feels too dry, but i get worried that it is too wet, so i squeeze as much water as i can get out of it, so it is damp, but dryish to touch, if you get wot i mean. should it be damp enough that if you touch it, your fingers feel damp?
spor Posted - 28/09/2009 : 21:14:08
I just leave my moss hides they way the are . with the lid on and a hole in the lid just big enough for snake to fit mine seem to hold there dampness for more than duration of shed. it may dry out a bit on top but bottom remains moist and thats were mine lie.
Heffa Posted - 28/09/2009 : 15:34:53
her temps fluctuate a little, but i think are ok.

Her hot end varies from 86 to 93(on a hot day). But the thermo stops at 90 and cools down to 86/88. The cool end varies from 75(at night) to 80/81 in the day.

Heffa Posted - 28/09/2009 : 15:00:58
thanks for the advice, really appreciate it, i will keep a good eye on her and hopefully she will have no probs :)
boze Posted - 28/09/2009 : 14:28:00
Its not a problem, they can go a fair time without food with no adverse effects

Her eyes go cloudy as the old eye cap on the outside separates from the new one thats forming underneath it, once they have gone clear again this means it has totally separated and its at about this time that she will probably start trying to get her old skin off from the head first and will probably spend most of her time either rubbing her head on things or in her damp hide loosening the skin. Dont worry if you notice any wee dents in her eyes at this point as its just the old outer eye cap thats dented and not her eye.

As long as her damp hide's damp and her temps are ok, she'll get on with it no problems. Plus its always good feeding after a shed knowing that she can just relax for a couple days and let her food digest without the stress of shedding, plus if its a few days late its amazing to see the power they strike with

D

PS. When sals eyes clear she normally sheds within 3 days.
Heffa Posted - 28/09/2009 : 14:16:28
ok, that makes sense. I think in relation to the moss hide, I will put fresh damp moss in every few days, as when I have been spraying it, it seems to dry out quite quickly.

I know that a shed can take up to 2 weeks, will this be a problem for her if she doesnt eat during this time?

I noticed today, her eyes werent as cloudy as yesterday, and strangely her skin wasnt as white as the day before. I cant really get my head around it lol
boze Posted - 28/09/2009 : 14:11:18
I wouldnt try and feed her, its her first shed with you so Id just leave her be. Not sure about the moss as I use paper towels in my damp hide.

She will shed within a couple of days of her eyes clearing up so just wait till then to feed her as she'll need a load of energy to get her skin off and its best not to take up that energy by feeding her. Also when she has eaten youll find she will spend a fair amount of time in her warm hide, when you really want her in her cool damp hide to help her shed.

D

Heffa Posted - 28/09/2009 : 13:07:46
Weighed her on friday evening, as she had done a bit poo and wee. Her weight is 220G. Saturday her eyes went blue and her skin has dulled.

The humidity with the moss hide in fluctuates from 54 to 67. Which I dont understand, I guess this may be related to the electric heater in the room. To keep the moss damp, should I just spray it or put fresh moss in every few days when it dries out?

Havent fed her since wednesday, am going to try and feed her tomorrow, as that would be 6 days. as she is going into shed, she may not be interested, but we will see.
Blackecho Posted - 25/09/2009 : 11:36:24
She will shed when she's ready, don't worry
Heffa Posted - 25/09/2009 : 09:18:56
checked on her this morning and she has still not messed. I got some moss last night and put in her cool hide. (soaked it and then squeezed all water out, so it felt damp to the touch)
She went and sat in it straigt away. yipee. Unfortunately i didnt have a spare tub, so had to go under butter tub, with hole in the side. bet be messy when i get home lol.

In respect of feeding, I will just feed her on small mice for next couple of weeks, then on large mice. Ill feed her every 6 days, does that sound reasonable.

Im a little worried that she hasnt shed yet, as it would have been at least 5 weeks ago now, that she had her last shed. Her skin is looking quite dry and dull, but not signs of blue eye or whitened skin. Hopefully the moss hide will bring this on :)

Thanks for the advice
spor Posted - 25/09/2009 : 00:35:55
quote:
Originally posted by Heffa

Sorry, the rats I bought are the same size as the large mouse, so possibly small weaners, not large ;)

thats not so bad then. 150 weight is ok for her age, so you can stop worrying there. i don't think there is much need for multi prey items any more.

but to go from 150 to 200 in one week is a bit excessive .
when you can try and get a post poo weight.
Heffa Posted - 24/09/2009 : 10:37:46
Sorry, the rats I bought are the same size as the large mouse, so possibly small weaners, not large ;)

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000