The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Viv Modifications

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kimitree Posted - 22/09/2009 : 13:37:35
I'm looking at making a few modifications to my viv, but was just wondering are there any materials to stear clear of because they'd be harmful to the snake.

One example, is Pine OK to use on the lid? (As long as it's not in the viv and ingestible.)

Obviously I don't want to go making something only to find it's going to be dangerous.

Thanks
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Remmy Posted - 30/09/2009 : 19:42:37
If you cut MDF i would cut it outside and wear a mask. It has been banned in a lot of places around the world as it can cause cancer.
kimitree Posted - 30/09/2009 : 19:27:31
Absolutely, I remember that from Design Technoloy A-Level many moons ago...had risk assessments coming out of my ears!

Basically what I'm trying to achieve here is a new lid for Rex's viv. Currently it's a wire mesh lid with a solid frame that slides on and off. Fine at the moment, but with the weather getting colder it's going to be harder to keep the heat in, so I want to go for something a little more solid!

Going to trundle over to B&Q at the weekend and see what I can find, then home to probably cause multiple injuries whilst making a mess of the cellar
boze Posted - 30/09/2009 : 14:25:12
Remember not to breath in any sawdust or dust from drilling into hardwoods. A lot of hardwood dust, and plywood dust, is carcinogenic.

D
Gingerpony Posted - 30/09/2009 : 10:34:36
yeah if there's not enough varnish on MDF it could turn to mush!
spor Posted - 30/09/2009 : 09:15:31
as long as there is a good varnish on it, as it is dusty material and can really soak up water.
kimitree Posted - 30/09/2009 : 09:06:24
How about MDF? Is that safe to use?

Thanks for the comments so far, very helpful.

matty198111 Posted - 22/09/2009 : 21:46:31
as above dont use normal silicone

the aquarium stuff smells more when you first put it on but give it a couple of days and it should be fine ( think i actually left mine a week )
the aquarium stuff is expensive in the fish shops but you can get it in them cheap diy stores for about £2 a tube
Gingerpony Posted - 22/09/2009 : 21:21:12
i've used pine before with lots of varnish too

another no-no is normal silicon sealant, use the aquarium grade stuff - it's safe for reps
matty198111 Posted - 22/09/2009 : 16:00:13
ive used pine on my viv but it was varnished with a low voc varnish i also done 7 coats

mat
Blackecho Posted - 22/09/2009 : 14:07:37
Pine is bad because of the toxic Phenols that can come out of it, it doesn't have to be ingested to be harmful, inhalation can be equally toxic.

All hard woods are fine (including fruit trees), plastic, slate etc.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000