The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Help with Condensation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jam Posted - 26/09/2009 : 20:19:24
Ive finished setting up my new 24x18x15 vivarium earlier today with heating, themostat etc.. setting it to heat up to around 85f throughout the day..Ive notice that i have condensation appearing on the glass doors..Is this because the temp is too high for the size of the vivarium or is it due to not enough ventilation..

Any help and advice on this one would be appreciated..

thanx
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
karl Posted - 27/09/2009 : 20:37:53
can often be a case of just moving the vivs an extra inch from a wall, or positioning them in areas with more air flow etc. I wouldn't want you getting cold now would I, lol.
steve7046 Posted - 27/09/2009 : 19:49:40
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

brrrrr! too cold!

all the snakes are in my bedroom, would need somebody to snuggle up to all night...........

Well that would probably help raise your temperature, not sure What effect it would have on the RUB's !!
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 27/09/2009 : 18:49:08
when i first set up my vivarium, there was condensation on the glass doors, because the humidity and the temperature was sorting itself out. It will go in a few days.
If you are using orchid bark then you can try and dry it out as much as you like, I put my bark in the oven for 3 hours and that did nothing, it feels dry but there is a lot of moisture in it still. So after all that trouble i went and brought wood chippings, and that made the condensation go after about 3 days.
Gingerpony Posted - 27/09/2009 : 18:45:19
brrrrr! too cold!

all the snakes are in my bedroom, would need somebody to snuggle up to all night...........
karl Posted - 27/09/2009 : 18:25:50
increase air flow in the room ;)
steve7046 Posted - 27/09/2009 : 17:08:03
Cooler ambient room temeperatures, will mean the walls of the RUB or the glass on the viv will be cooler. When water vapour in the RUB or viv hits the walls it will condense. Hope that makes sense.
Gingerpony Posted - 27/09/2009 : 16:07:34
BUT i've found that with the ambient room temperature dropping quite low in our house overnight and having nice warm air inside the RUBs, i'm getting some condensation when i haven't had a problem with it all summer.........
karl Posted - 27/09/2009 : 09:56:13
Basic rules for condensation are more ventilation or less dampness, so if there is nothing damp (other than water bowl) then increase ventilation
spor Posted - 27/09/2009 : 01:55:15
As WS and GP said your substrate could be adding to high humidity but ultimately condensation is caused by lack of ventilation. At this point it doesn't mean you need to add more vents. deal with the other things mentioned above first if needed and see how it goes. also if you have viv in kitchen or near a tumble dyer these things well add condensation if ventilation is low.

Also as WS said a picture of your set up would help.
Gingerpony Posted - 26/09/2009 : 22:44:21
if you're using orchid bark as substrate that will cause stupidly high humidity........
wolfspirit Posted - 26/09/2009 : 22:42:56
quote:
Originally posted by Jam

Ive finished setting up my new 24x18x15 vivarium earlier today with heating, themostat etc.. setting it to heat up to around 85f throughout the day..Ive notice that i have condensation appearing on the glass doors..Is this because the temp is too high for the size of the vivarium or is it due to not enough ventilation..

Any help and advice on this one would be appreciated..

thanx

it could be, what are you using for a heat source in your viv?

Also what are you using as substrate? if your using orchid bark that could be damp and can cause it.

where you place your water bowl also has an effect, it needs to be in the cool end..

photo of your set up might also help..

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000