The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 stabilizing temp

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 28/09/2009 : 11:07:28
in my viv i have a heat mat on a thermostat, and i have a 25 watt red heat bulb with a guard around it.
however the heat mat wont reach even 88oF on its own, even with the thermostat, so the heat lamp is there for extra boost, but then that makes the temperature too hot, about 96oF.
i am at college and so cant sit there at home turning the light on and off to keep the temp stable
i thought the stat would sort this out, obviously not.
any help greatly appreciated, i dont want a frozen or cooked snake
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 29/09/2009 : 18:01:19
thanks a lot, i will remember to get reflector infra red when i go to pet shop tomorrow.
I always thought that a heatmat was an essential, because it heats up the ground.
spor Posted - 29/09/2009 : 15:33:51
probe placement for stat is really up to the keeper.i think as long as your bare in mind the difference in distance. For eg if you have your probe 6" away from your source and set at 90F then when the probe picks up 90F it could be 95-100F 1" from the lamp. This is the main reason i place probe under lamp and i have my hot end digi therm probe attached to stat probe so i know that i am reading the highest temp. Just be worth checking the temp where you snake can rest closest to the heat source and then making your changes from there. (if any or need.) Just a small thing i notice with your lamp. You might be best to switch to a reflector style infra red http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Infra-Red-Heat-Lamp-75W-R63-ES-Screw-in_W0QQitemZ400025375573QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item5d235ed355&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14as it controls the heat displacement better. At the moment with the lamp you are using a lot of heat is going out the side and above so its probably using a lot more energy to maintain your temps..
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 28/09/2009 : 21:59:05
Ok here are some photos, giving you some idea of where the light fitting is

hope this helps, unfortunately Boo was reluctant to move out the way
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 28/09/2009 : 21:09:42
i have my stats on the wall outside the viv, and the wires going through the back of the viv. Can i place the probe on the wall just below the light, because although the light is in the hot end, it is in the middle of the width of the roof, and i cant put the probe on the floor under the lamp, because there is quite a distance between the light and the floor, and there is a hide in the way. I can get some pictures of where the light is and the hot end of the viv for you to see if it helps. pictures will be on in about 30 mins
spor Posted - 28/09/2009 : 21:03:22
once the dimming stat is set up and temp stable you'll hardly ever notice the lamp dim as the chance will be that slight. a 25watt bulb really wouldn't cut it you would be best going for a 75w or 100w for a 3ft viv. you set your temp on the thermostat dialand place the probe attached to stat in the viv. ( i place mine at warm end on the ground almost under lamp) then you just let it establish.
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 28/09/2009 : 18:47:34
i got two digital thermometers measuring the temperature so thats all good. So if i see the light dim, got to not mistake it for the light about to blow!!!

thanks a lot guys
Remmy Posted - 28/09/2009 : 17:34:35
You will need a thermometer to tell what the temp is as the dial on the stat wont be that accurate
boze Posted - 28/09/2009 : 16:21:46
It doesnt switch it on and off, it dims it to the right temperature. If it gets too hot it dims it down a tad and if its too cold it gets a little brighter until the temps even out. Because of this theyre very accurate for keeping the temps stable.

D
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 28/09/2009 : 15:51:33
ok so if i set the stat to 88oF
it will turn light off when it gets too hot and then turn it back on when it gets too cold
how does it know when its too cold, do you have to set that on the stat as well??
Blackecho Posted - 28/09/2009 : 15:49:35
It isn't like an on/off stat, they will actually turn the power off when they reach a set temperature and then turn them back on when they drop by a certain amount. Dimming stats vary the power to maintain a constant temperature very accurately. My bulbs are not on full power and easily maintain 32C.
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 28/09/2009 : 15:30:59
ok thanks.
i have never used a dimmer thermostat before
are they exactly the same as matstats, appart from the fact that they are used on lights, or do they work in a different way
and what temp does your light get the vivarium up to
Blackecho Posted - 28/09/2009 : 13:09:17
I have never tried, I use 75W bulbs in mine.
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 28/09/2009 : 11:17:51
will a 25 watt bulb on a stat get a 3 foot vivarium up to 90oF
Blackecho Posted - 28/09/2009 : 11:16:39
Get rid of the heat mat and put the bulb on a dimmer stat.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000