The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 newbie advice please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
roy Posted - 29/09/2009 : 12:56:22
Got my first royal yesterday, he's about 8 weeks old. how long would you advise leaving him to settle in before attempting to feed? thank you.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
roy Posted - 30/09/2009 : 10:38:44
Well my room is nice and warm, thanks to the vivs.lol
spor Posted - 30/09/2009 : 10:36:02
no problem. room humidity is normally fine around 50% so as you say you could added a damp hide. your house must be nice and comfy if your room temps 27C.
roy Posted - 30/09/2009 : 10:20:18
I've just got the one digital thermometer at the hot end, my room temp averages around the 27c mark. I considered using paper towel but was a bit worried about getting the right humidity, I suppose I could just use a damp hide though. I was planning on taking him out to feed (avoiding impaction) but as I wont be handling for a while I should really change to paper towel. I will do that later today. Thanks Spor.
spor Posted - 29/09/2009 : 22:18:52
sounds good. do you have digital thermometer at both ends.? You might want to switch the orchid bark out for paper or kitchen towel until he is a bit bigger. Easier to clean and less of a hazard come dinner time.
roy Posted - 29/09/2009 : 21:13:18
I've just got him in a large faunarium with coarse orchid bark substrate, two small hides, one hot end 30c, one cold end 27c. a water bowl, and he's heated by small mat on a pulse stat. Then i've got a digital thermometer/hygrometer.
wolfspirit Posted - 29/09/2009 : 20:40:22
quote:
Originally posted by roy

I will definately follow your advice Spor, thanks.
And thanks for the tip Hodgie

enjoy him, i know you will, it will all be worth it in the end,

i love my royals they are terrific..

whats your set up like?
roy Posted - 29/09/2009 : 20:37:59
I will definately follow your advice Spor, thanks.
And thanks for the tip Hodgie
hodgie Posted - 29/09/2009 : 17:43:03
You should be able to see when your new Royal is in feeding mode, it`ll have its head sticking out of the hide at night
spor Posted - 29/09/2009 : 16:10:12
its really worth the wait though. and the general day to husbandry of water changing and spot checking for mess really helps the snake get used to the fact that these big hands reaching in are not going to eat me.LOL good luck and look forward to seeing some picks when he as settled.
roy Posted - 29/09/2009 : 16:06:52
wolfspirit, I'm sure I never got this nervous when I purchased my other herps,lol.
Thanks for the welcome and advice Spor. (I'm so tempted to hold him though, he's so cute)...this is going to be a looong month.lol.
spor Posted - 29/09/2009 : 14:58:24
hi and welcome. as WS said 7-10 days before first feed to give it time to settle. and best to wait until you have had at least 3 consecutive feeds before handling. good luck and have fun. the first couple of months is the hardest part.its worry worry worry ( for no reason)but after that it great trust me.
wolfspirit Posted - 29/09/2009 : 13:15:03
quote:
Originally posted by roy

Thank you Wolfspirit, just wanted to make sure. I feel like an anxious parent.lol.

i know, its worse i think..lol..
roy Posted - 29/09/2009 : 13:01:43
Thank you Wolfspirit, just wanted to make sure. I feel like an anxious parent.lol.
wolfspirit Posted - 29/09/2009 : 12:57:46
quote:
Originally posted by roy

Got my first royal yesterday, he's about 8 weeks old. how long would you advise leaving him to settle in before attempting to feed? thank you.

Hi congrats on your new addition,

normally 7-10 days before feeding, and a bit more before handling...

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000