The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Is my viv too dry?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Simonas Posted - 04/10/2009 : 10:36:12
On myhumidity measurer it says the humidity is only about late 30's 40? is this too low, when I had the royal in an old fish tank it was 70!!

It hasa water bowl in with fresh water, aspen bedding, and temp at hotend is 31.8?

should i leave it or do i need it a bit more humid?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Simonas Posted - 26/11/2009 : 22:23:53
the new one seems to have settled and is reading about 9-10% higher than the other digital one. Its about 48% now
madmez Posted - 24/11/2009 : 00:13:25
Is it still ok
madmez Posted - 16/11/2009 : 10:06:23
quote:
Originally posted by Simonas

the new hygrometer gave the same readings!!! which is worrying low 30s!!

However I blocked a couple of the lower vents off leaving the two higher vents and its now raised to 47 on both hygrometeres

Having the same problem.
Read my thread.
Simonas Posted - 16/11/2009 : 08:11:06
the new hygrometer gave the same readings!!! which is worrying low 30s!!

However I blocked a couple of the lower vents off leaving the two higher vents and its now raised to 47 on both hygrometeres
heaton177 Posted - 19/10/2009 : 18:12:41
hello all,
my humidity leveel in the viv is around 55-60% the odd time it will drop below 55%, but i also have a damp hide in, i read on the care sheet on this forum that it needs to be around 50%-60%, but the only thing tha confused me is i went into a petshop and on the tank it has ionfo about the species they are selling and on the royal python they said it needs to be 60%-80%. am i right leaving it the way it is with the damp hide in the cool end and a normal hide in the warm end. i do see him moving about between hide. and he has not missed a feed yet.
Simonas Posted - 18/10/2009 : 01:14:25
I'mstill struggling, my humidity is leveling off at about 32 which i know is too low
sprayingimproves it but only for a short while
will this harm my royal?
Simonas Posted - 16/10/2009 : 22:35:06
even with my digi hygrometer I;m still geting readings of 40, I spray it a little and it rses for a bit before dropping down a bit
Heffa Posted - 16/10/2009 : 15:03:15
Just a quick question. I know someone on here bought a pulse from serpent supplies. I bought one too, but mine wont rise above 86F. Have you had any problems?
Heffa Posted - 12/10/2009 : 16:36:56
Hey peeps

Ditched the electric heater and am raising the cool end, with another heat mat. got the hot side running on pulse-propotionate thermo and the cool end running on my on/off thermo. This way, the humidity is normal and the rub is at the high heat.

expensive way of doing it, but it had to be done.

I think my hygro is pooped anyway, as the eco-zerra one is showing 43-48, but i have another humidity meter in the rub, which is for use in greehouses. (its digital) and that shows at 58. I have a damp hide in the rub, so no way it can be down in the 40's.

Thanks for any advice givem, just happy it finally sorted.

I loved her into a 12 L rub now, she has really been exploring. :)
John_Boy Posted - 08/10/2009 : 19:59:47
Yes the electric heater will be causing a drop in humidity. I'm a central heating engineer and most electric heat has a drying and static effect. If you want to raise the room humidity you should try leaving a bowl of water with a large surface area in the room fairly near the heat. Not too close though because remember water and electric don't mix very well. lol
Simonas Posted - 08/10/2009 : 08:32:37
its not in properly yet i have to unscrew the lid to get it in properly and i was feeding him so just left it in for 10 mins
spor Posted - 07/10/2009 : 20:52:11
48% is ok. where abouts have you placed the probe head? LOL i told you 10%
Simonas Posted - 07/10/2009 : 20:35:29
well my digi hygrometer came today. displays 48% bit different to the dial one!! lol is 48 ok?
Heffa Posted - 07/10/2009 : 10:36:39
We have central heating, but that only goes on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening.

To keep my room temp up tho, i use an electric heater, which is on for an hour every 2.5 hours. As I live at the top of the chilterns in stokenchurch, we get hit with the cool weather.

my room humidity is lower than outside, so i have the window open slightly. Maybe the electric heater is drying the room out. So im wandering if a damp hide is the best way to go
Robert Posted - 06/10/2009 : 20:26:49
I am fortunate as my study where I keep my royals is always 50% or thereabouts and they seem to thrive and shed well, as for shedding I use a small RUB in their faunarium in which I put a damp flannel which I moisten every day and that works a treat as I am not happy about using moss in case of bacteria and other contaminants, the flannel I sterilise before every shed and rinse with hot water when I freshen it up every day.
spor Posted - 06/10/2009 : 19:30:11
My humidity levels are pretty constant at the moment. putting a moss hide in now will not cause any up set. you can keep them in your viv permanently as long as you are changing the moss out every few weeks st stop any bacteria building up.
Remmy Posted - 06/10/2009 : 17:25:09
Do you have any heating on in your house and what sort of heating is it. My humidity levels have gone up sinse the weather has got colder
Heffa Posted - 06/10/2009 : 17:01:38
Hi peeps

Are any of you guys seeing a drop in the humidity levels? Since i got digitial hygometers, my humidity has been fine, but my room humidity has dropped considerably to 38-40%. I am constantly spraying Heffa's rub to keep her humdity above 50%. Why could this be and what can I do to keep it up? She has just had a shed skin, so will putting a damp hide in her rub cause her any problems? is this going to be the only way I can keep the humidity up?
spor Posted - 04/10/2009 : 22:11:21
at least 10% difference.
Simonas Posted - 04/10/2009 : 20:54:02
cheers Spor
a bid has gone in on ebay now!! lol

it;ll be interesting to see what the readings are incomparison with the digi one

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000