The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 just need to check with the experts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 05/10/2009 : 23:55:03
Boo is eating mice fuzzies, meant to have 1 on thursday and 1 on sunday, however she is capable of eating 2 on thursday and 1 on sunday, so i think thats its time for a prey size change
she is 3 months old on wednesday and weighs around 130g. even though her food weighs 11g each they seem to small.
when i went down the pet shop today their rat pups were the same size roughly as the mice fuzzies, but the rat fluffs look too big to feed her, and weigh to much.
i will try and get a video onto youtube of her feeding for you, but can anyone help me just from this shamble of writting
thanks
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bengy_s Posted - 31/10/2009 : 13:52:02
Cheers Piers! And I'm supposed to be an accountant That's what you get when trying to watch formula 1 qualifying and trying to type too!
Blackecho Posted - 31/10/2009 : 13:46:20
10-15% of 1Kg is 100-150g

Mine only tend to go every 4-6 weeks or when they shed, so don't worry unless there is an obvious bulge/blockage near the vent.
bengy_s Posted - 31/10/2009 : 12:58:38
Ok. When you have figures it'll help more but you need to be feeding it every 7-10 days (less often when they're older) a prey which is 1 to 1.5 x the widest part of it's body. Or (when I have your snake's weight) feed it prey roughly 10-15% of the body weight every 7-10 days. I.e. if your snake is 1KG feed a small adult rat of 100-115grams.
scarredlithium09 Posted - 31/10/2009 : 08:41:27
oh ok then i'll weigh her and get straight back to ya that sound right the guy i brought her of sais she onlt needed one a week it would probly explain a lot if she needs bigger food thx will message bk when i weighed :)
bengy_s Posted - 31/10/2009 : 01:11:38
To add to last comment. I think there is nothing coming out as there is not enough going in!
bengy_s Posted - 31/10/2009 : 01:03:56
Hi Mike. What type of mice you feeding it? If its 3 feet long it should be on large wiener rats i would have thought. How much does he/she weigh? Mine is about the smae length and weighs 1.1kg. He's been on large wiener rats but is now going up to small adult rats.
scarredlithium09 Posted - 31/10/2009 : 00:48:16
thanks for the reply mate another Q for ya now lol urm my snake has eaten 4 mice in the past month and still hasnt pooped is there sumit wrong it seems happy enough everytime i offer it food its about 2 n a half maybe three feet long???
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 07/10/2009 : 17:38:05
i have never had a waterfall for any of mine....but the newest member Boo spent a day in her water bowl, i thought she might have been getting all moistured up for a shed or something, but no she just decided she wanted to be a water snake for the day

not sure mate, im sure that it is nothing to worry about, they are hardy snakes, im guessing you will get a few replies back from the more better snake keepers on this site

scarredlithium09 Posted - 07/10/2009 : 09:45:02
hello people i put a waterfall in my viv and my royal python has slithered inside and has been lying in the water for a day now is it ok for the snake to be in cold water for that long? Its normally in its hide which has a heat pad underneith it!?!?!?
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 07/10/2009 : 09:06:14
thanks a lot, hope she does too
spor Posted - 07/10/2009 : 00:09:10
they can become obese over time which has of t=course the obvious implications. with one meal if it where very over sized they could suffer some ruptured blood vessels or could regurgitate. but trust me a fuzzy rat is by no means any way to large. good luck hope she enjoys it.
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 06/10/2009 : 21:19:44
ok, i am going to get next monday a rat fuzzy and try her on it. It is twice as long as the food she is eating at the moment, and not quite sure how much they weigh, but if she manages to eat it, then every 7 days that's what she will eat until she starts putting a bit more weight on.
Is there any problems that royals can develop if they eat something that is too big for them, i mean in the wild they dont have a personal butler making sure that the food is the right size or weight for them, they just get on with it.
boze Posted - 06/10/2009 : 18:49:40
The first thing I learnt when I got Sal is to stop asking for advice in shops, get it all here

As Spor and BE said, you need to give her time to digest, and feeding on Thursdays and Sundays is too often. Once every 5-7 days until she is 400grams is what you're aiming for.

D
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 06/10/2009 : 15:20:44
But if you believe she should be able to tackle on of those then i will try her on one.
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 06/10/2009 : 15:20:10
unfortunately i dont have pocket scales lol
i use the kitchen scales, but use a tub which the mice go in to weigh them, my mum would go beserk otherwise!!!!!
ok well i think that the rat pups are the same size as the fuzzy mice that i feed Boo at the moment, If the shop cant weigh them for me then i will buy one rat pup and one rat fuzzy and try her on the larger first. If she can eat it without chucking it up then I will go down the shop and buy a months supply. Problem is with my pet shop is that they think they know more than anyone else about reptiles, they told me i shouldnt have my royal on wood chippings because they might go mouldy???!!!
i just think it quite a size difference from mice fuzzies to rat fluffs, they are like double the size
antw23uk Posted - 06/10/2009 : 12:17:26
Having only two snakes i take my small pocket scales with me and weigh the food before buying it, lol ... i think im far too organised!
Blackecho Posted - 06/10/2009 : 06:42:20
Just remember that these are snakes, not dogs, they are designed to go for periods without food and do not burn it off by running round etc.
spor Posted - 06/10/2009 : 00:08:43
size of food wise she would also be able to handle fuzzy rats. if they are less than 19g you would be okay with that.in some shops you can ask for food by weight if you are only buying small amounts.How ever if you were to move on to these or even just the rat pups i would seriously recommend not feeding so soon after each other and leave the 5-7days gap, as she really needs the time to digest it. if she won't go for the rats then small mice would be your next step up.
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 05/10/2009 : 23:57:53
i have seen spor's prey weight thread and looks like rat pup is what i should go for but would feed thurs and sun again for a couple of months till she can go for something bigger and which can last her a gap of 5 days in between feeds. cause i dnt think one rat pup every 5 days is enough for her

like i said will try get video sorted

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000