The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 couple of questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
prebble Posted - 12/10/2009 : 12:15:47
hi ya new to forum

just brought a royal python week ago he is about 2.5-3ft long lovely snake, had him out and he was calm and just led next to me and wrapped around my arm, he has been a little shy for the last couple of days am not sure if it is because he only had a normal light bulb and now i have got him a red infered heat light would there be to much of a difference in heat and he is not used to it. he was eating mice but luckly this morning got him to eat a rat for first time,also how long should i leave my snake after feeding.

thanks

Adam
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blackecho Posted - 13/10/2009 : 18:29:52
http://www.ekmpowershop7.com/ekmps/shops/exotics/index.asp

Yes, £35 on here ^^
prebble Posted - 13/10/2009 : 16:28:46
yeh i brought a dimming hemistat one cost me £57 did i get ripped off then if there £35 :(
i be making some tonight bit of diy lol
wolfspirit Posted - 13/10/2009 : 15:39:17
quote:
Originally posted by prebble

he has got rock down there and he go behind it and there is leafs to cover him but i am going to put one down there as well just trying to get some more money spent so much so far lol. to be honest last night he wasnt very shy at all he was popping his head up looking out the viv

you dont need to go buying hides, you can make them out of Margering/ice cream tubs, ok it dont look so good on the eye, but covering them with fake plants and nobody knows..and my royals are quite happy in them..
karl Posted - 13/10/2009 : 15:29:47
some royals aren't shy at all ;)

Sorry to ask, but do you have a thermostat to control your temperatures? (just I cannot see one which is why I ask)

These are around £35, but mean you can set a max temperature in the viv
prebble Posted - 13/10/2009 : 14:57:17
i have moved it about a bit since the picture, he has got rock down there and he go behind it and there is leafs to cover him but i am going to put one down there as well just trying to get some more money spent so much so far lol. to be honest last night he wasnt very shy at all he was popping his head up looking out the viv
spor Posted - 13/10/2009 : 13:30:47
Does he have a hide down at the warmer side of the viv?
kimitree Posted - 13/10/2009 : 12:22:32
quote:
Originally posted by boze

Thats a cool viv and an even cooler royal!1 Wish mine would do the hoovering....

D

LOL! Can he make the tea and do the washing too?! Lovely looking snake you've got there.

Just thinking aloud here...say you have all the lights out, and just the red light on and then go to get snakey out, could that make them more nervous/shy as they can't see as well?

boze Posted - 13/10/2009 : 11:58:43
Thats a cool viv and an even cooler royal!1 Wish mine would do the hoovering....

D
prebble Posted - 13/10/2009 : 09:14:29
[url=http://www.postimage.org/][/url]

nigel doing the hoovering
prebble Posted - 13/10/2009 : 09:10:40
[url=http://www.postimage.org/][/url]
i have put a red bulb in since this picture.

prebble Posted - 13/10/2009 : 09:00:18
i will get some pictures up asap, he has been out of his hide since he has eaten looking all happy and he slept in the leafs all night, so hopefully it was just him getting used to it all. i gonna get my self digital one because i have only got the dial it seems rubbish and he pulled it off the wall already lol. :)
Blackecho Posted - 13/10/2009 : 07:03:26
Have you got a picture of your setup?

He won't get too hot, that's what the thermostat is for, just make sure you're measuring it with a digital thermometer, the dial ones are useless.

Don't handle for a couple of days after eating to allow him to digest.

Welcome to the forum
spor Posted - 13/10/2009 : 01:48:54
Hi and welcome. the guard gets very warm when the lamp and temps are first settling. after that it is not just as warm. and you should be ok. mine naturally disappear after a feed for a couple of days. that may also be the shyness thing you have notice.
sounds like your doing right by him any way . getting him on rats, and infra red heat on stat and guarded. alot better than a light bulb that gets turned of at night...
prebble Posted - 12/10/2009 : 15:08:02
i now leave it on all the time, he turned it off at night he must of been freezing bless him.

:) thanks guys
karl Posted - 12/10/2009 : 15:04:04
Don't turn the heat off at night, that was how we kept royals over 10 years ago, lol.

Read the sticky at the top of the threads and it should give you a good idea what to do.

So long as your temps are in the correct ranges then you should be ok.
chris100575 Posted - 12/10/2009 : 14:49:41
By the way, royals are naturally shy, mine spends most of her time in her hides. Another reason that you're seeing less of him could be because the white bulb was stressing him out and now he's more relaxed. They also often spend a few days exploring their new home and then settle down once they're used to it.
prebble Posted - 12/10/2009 : 14:46:04
thank you for the replys hopefully he sticks with the rats, no the guy didnt have a thermostat just normal light bulb he said he turned the light off at night, i have brought thermostat for him and got the red light. just dont want him to be to hot, also on the bottom on the guard for the bulb its really hot any ideas what i can do thanks
Dazzetski Posted - 12/10/2009 : 14:37:54
quote:
Originally posted by prebble

hi ya new to forum

just brought a royal python week ago he is about 2.5-3ft long lovely snake, had him out and he was calm and just led next to me and wrapped around my arm, he has been a little shy for the last couple of days am not sure if it is because he only had a normal light bulb and now i have got him a red infered heat light would there be to much of a difference in heat and he is not used to it. he was eating mice but luckly this morning got him to eat a rat for first time,also how long should i leave my snake after feeding.

thanks

Adam

If he goes quiet or stays in his hides it could be the start of a shed, depending on when you're checking, don't forget they're active at nightime. I always leave all of my snakes at least 2 days after a feed & I've not had any problems. Good on you for the rat, if he sticks with them he'll soon be piling on the weight (in a good healthy way).

Hope this helps
chris100575 Posted - 12/10/2009 : 14:36:20
Hi Adam, welcome to the forum. Assuming that you're using a thermostat for your bulb (which you should be) then the temperature should be the same, but he'll be happier with the red light because snakes can't see red light very well and it'll look like dusk to him. After he's eaten you should leave him alone for 48 hours to give him time to digest his meal.

You're doing the right thing getting him onto rats.

Chris

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000