The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Help- previously docile royal keeps striking!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
charliep Posted - 13/10/2009 : 21:46:53
Fed my new 6 year old royal python a rat yesterday in the viv as previous owner did, seems to still be in feeding mode as keeps striking the glass when I walk past and appears much more alert than usual! Usually very calm and docile and handles easily. Will he just forget about food/eating in the coming days or is it something I've done?! Have changed a few things in the viv in order to improve the conditions.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wolfspirit Posted - 14/10/2009 : 22:01:38
try him with a weaner at the weekend and see how he is then..
charliep Posted - 14/10/2009 : 17:37:05
yeah i know just wanted to start him off with something bit bigger than he was used to but not too daunting for him! doesn't look skinny. yep, got digital therm and stat. just weird how he's changed since i fed him...
Blackecho Posted - 13/10/2009 : 23:24:49
Might be hungry too, sounds a bit small for a 6 year old Royal.
wolfspirit Posted - 13/10/2009 : 23:18:36
quote:
Originally posted by charliep

fed him small weaner yesterday, they had only been feeding him hoppers i think for some reason. don't know what his weight is i'm afraid. set up consists of warm end 32.5 heated by ceramic, cool end 24, hides both ends, large water bowl and wood to climb.

be good if you could weigh him, kitchen scales will give you an idea...

the cool end could do with lifting a bit , my cool end sits at around 27-28

how are you measuring temps? is it digital or a dial thermometers?

that ceramic does have a stat doesnt it? have to ask, so dont take offence at the question

is he very big? chunky or skinny? feeding him hoppers wont help at all..the poor little man...

he should easily be able to take bigger than small weaners though..my 09 takes them easily and she is only five months old..

that could be some of the reason for him being active, but the striking is normally a defensive warning...

charliep Posted - 13/10/2009 : 23:03:09
fed him small weaner yesterday, they had only been feeding him hoppers i think for some reason. don't know what his weight is i'm afraid. set up consists of warm end 32.5 heated by ceramic, cool end 24, hides both ends, large water bowl and wood to climb.
wolfspirit Posted - 13/10/2009 : 22:16:54
I have a royal who used to do that, took her a good while to settle and she still gets nervous if she sees one of my cats..so it coul dbe nerves on his behalf ...maybe he is in a high traffic area and stiff..they can take a good few weeks to settle in and realise nothing is going to hurt or eat them..

it could still be in feeding mode, mine is for a while after, but only for an hour or so, i think she hopes that she might get seconds..lol...but she did not strike the glass when she was like this...

what are you feeding him size wise and what is his weight do you know?

whats your set up like?
Blackecho Posted - 13/10/2009 : 21:59:01
Probably just still settling in.
charliep Posted - 13/10/2009 : 21:54:22
he's in same viv. have had him 2 weeks.
kashie Posted - 13/10/2009 : 21:50:21
How long have you had him - is it a different viv to what he had before - what was he housed in before????
could be alot of things.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000