The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 co-ordinated shedding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Robert Posted - 20/10/2009 : 22:24:16
It's strange but I got a new Spider Royal two weeks ago who's doing fine and almost doubled in weight, he and my normal both went milky eyed two days ago and both shed today !!! pheromones or what ? has anyone else with multiple royals in the same room experienced this ? or is it just coincidence ? curious :)
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lee2308 Posted - 22/10/2009 : 20:14:03
quote:
Originally posted by chris100575

quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

It's like women who live closely together all having a visit from Auntie flo at the same time

This still freaks me out, it's just scary!

what,kaz or auntie flo lol
HannahB Posted - 22/10/2009 : 15:56:12
cant say ive ever noticed it with my corns - they are all next to eachother on a desk, might happen with my royals though but as Little One just shed I dont think it will..
chris100575 Posted - 22/10/2009 : 15:40:48
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

It's like women who live closely together all having a visit from Auntie flo at the same time

This still freaks me out, it's just scary!
bengy_s Posted - 22/10/2009 : 15:31:17
Yer had the same with my corns when they were cohabiting. they were from the same clutch and fed same time but genetically they are different and they are different morphs. Think its just one of those strange unexplained things of mother nature! Needless to say we split them when we were told they were both female and one day one snake appeared really skinny and in the back of the viv were 13 eggs! Since the split they have completely different shed patterns!
Kazerella Posted - 22/10/2009 : 09:15:20
Well I think why not?

If something as complex as the human reproductive system can be syncronised, then why not snake shedding.

We know that snakes give off pheromones too, because they are used during courtship. That is why the male is normally introduced to the females viv.
Robert Posted - 21/10/2009 : 20:38:26
I'm happy to hear that others have had this experience too, I thought it was a bit of a weird coincidence and like BE I thought that shedding was down to feeding and the need to grow, but my two royals feed at different intervals and yet they managed to get into sync both with the eyes blueing over and then shedding on the same day, I believe that in the wild this probably wouldn't happen but given all I have read here it seems common amongst snakes kept together in the same environment, so I am guessing that like women who live and work closely together and synchronise their periods then there must be a chemical stimulus (pheremone) that is emitted that cause snakes to shed in synchro, I will wait and see what happens the next time around :) many thanks to all for your input, and Kaz, I'm with you on this unless time proves otherwise :)
sexychef Posted - 21/10/2009 : 18:21:58
i thought bout this my corns shed within 24 hours of each other but then i relised that they are on the same feeding schedual(spellin) so even tho they are on slightly diffrent pray sizes they are growing at the same rate so that might be the link
Kazerella Posted - 21/10/2009 : 13:10:52
I started a thread like this once and I got laughed at

...but I stand by my guns. Snakes in the same house DO seem to shed together. I've had 4 snakes all shed within 24 hours of one another. It's like women who live closely together all having a visit from Auntie flo at the same time
karl Posted - 21/10/2009 : 00:19:25
I have just had all five shed within a week of each other
Blackecho Posted - 20/10/2009 : 22:43:53
Yes I have and it doesn't really make sense as shedding is to do with growth predominantly and they all grow at different rates.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000