The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 I feel like giving up PLEASE HELP

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
laura118 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 13:12:42
Im having sooo much trouble with the temps and humidity. I feel completely down.
What ever i do it seems to be wrong and i just dont know what to do now.
My temps in my hot end are great, between 88-91F. The thing is everything else is wrong and i dont no what to do.
At the moment i have a moist hide and water bowl in the cool end, and that has made the humidity rise to 87%.
I have tried different lids on the rub to see if anything will help. i tried a lid with no holes, the humidity is at 87% and the cool end is 70.7F 21.5c which i think is too cold.
So i tired a lid with lots of holes and the humidity went down to 85% but then the cool end gets colder.
IM really at a loss, i dont know what to do, if i take the moist hide out the lowest i can get the humidty is mid - low 70's.
I do have another heat mat the same size as the one i have i was thinking of adding this to the same thermostat, because the heat mat i am currently using doesnt quite cover half the rub.
PLEASE HELP
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Debbie Posted - 22/10/2009 : 22:00:23
From what I can see of your set up it looks as though the holes at the back are against the wall so air will not be circulating around those. Has the room that the box is kept in got a lot of air movement? I also notice that you have a lot of wood in the box. When there is a lot of humidity wood absorbs water in the air and that can cause the humidity to remain higher even when the water source has been removed. Maybe try some of the resin hides or plastic climbing/hiding things. You could always add the wooden ones back in at shedding time. I hope this helps :)
karl Posted - 22/10/2009 : 13:14:18
IIRC as long as your cold end aint below 19C for prolonged amounts of time you are ok (this is the point where snakes can't digest). But thinking logically, if the snake is cold, so long as it HAS a warm end, it can choose what temp it wants to be in.
spor Posted - 22/10/2009 : 01:59:43
Hi Laura. keep at it and dont pack it all in he is feeding which is good and if he was up set he wouldn't be. Try and make the holes a bit bigger this should help as it will allow the air to pass through easier. so say the diameter of a drinking straw.

hope you can get thing settle so you can settle as well.
chris100575 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 16:08:49
There's nothing wrong with worrying, it's much better to want to get everything right.
laura118 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:50:08
He is eating fine, so i will just add a few more holes
and hopefully everything will be ok. i am such a worry guts,
i just want everything to be perfect, its driving me mad. I feel alot
better now.
Thanks
Danny Action1 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:45:02
The set up looks fine to me i would just make sure the temps at the hot end are ok and the humidity is ok and dont worry about the cool end at all as i said i never do

Also all my Royals are in Rubs and none of them have holes in only the gap around the top of the Rub and all my snakes eat and shed fine
Blackecho Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:42:47
Your cool end is pretty much going to be your room temp when using a heat mat regardless. Unless you have one at each end, both set at different temps with a stat each, which is expensive.

You can see how many holes I used!
laura118 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:32:14
Do i need more holes in the sides? i thought i was getting carried away with holes, but
you can see how many holes i have in the pics. Also if i make more holes, the cool end will get
cooler, or should i just forget the temps in the cool end, and keep a eye on humidity and hot end
laura118 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:27:22
I have taken the moist hide out, in the corner with the space i have a water bowl,
thats about 3" wide. The second pic shows how much floor is covered by the heat mat
laura118 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:25:50

Blackecho Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:24:37
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

A 4L RUB I'm using.

Just counted the holes so that you have an idea. There are 2 sets of 12 x 4mm holes in opposite corners on the sides and there are 127 x 4mm holes in the lid. So 151 holes in total, the humidity is just about right.

That's a post I made a while ago, might help.
laura118 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:22:47
i will add pics in a min
Danny Action1 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:22:20
Right if I was you I would take the moss box out unless she is going to shed soon put the water bowl as far away from the heat source as you can and make sure the heat matt only covers 1/3 of the Rub and I would not worry too much about the cool end Temps i never check mine
Blackecho Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:20:45
Photo's please Laura.
Heffa Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:17:09
Hi Laura

I had the same problem as you with the temps, exept I couldnt get them above 86F on the hot end and 70F on the cool end. I have to run my cool end by another heat mat and a seperate thermostat. Only guessing, but I would assume if you run 2 mats off one stat, that both heat mats will raise to the same temperature. Thats why I use a seperate thermostat.

I have found by doing this that I am controlling both the hot and the cool end.

Regards to the humidity, do you know what the level is in the room your snake is in. Because if the humidity is high in that room, you may have problems getting it down.
chris100575 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:16:10
It depends on the temperature of your room, but where my snakes are it's usually around 22c. Feather is in a faun on a heatmat and she's fine. I know she's not a royal, but the requirements for boas are pretty similar. The care sheet on here suggests 24c for the cool end, but I honestly don't think two degrees cooler is a problem and if she gets cold she'll move to the warm end.

It's different for Princess as she's in a viv with an infra red bulb, and that raises the air temperature so her cool end is above room temp.
laura118 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 14:08:42
Is it dangerous to have the cool end that cool?
chris100575 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 13:49:07
Hi Laura

As Ben said, post a pic of your setup and I'm sure we'll be able to help. If you're using a heat mat you're going to struggle to get the cool end much above room temperature, as the heat mat only heats what it's touching. As for the moist hide, I would definitely leave that out if your humidity is 70% without it. Moist hides are only really useful during a shed, and not everyone uses them even then.

Chris
laura118 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 13:39:26
Thanks for your reply, but the heat mat is definatly not too big, as it just about covers half, if that.
What should the cool end be at?
bengy_s Posted - 21/10/2009 : 13:35:39
Hi. Someone with more knowledge will answer this more thoroughly i'm sure but I've been having the opposite problem. My hot end is too cold, but my humidity is ok. From my limited experience royals only need humidity to be around 50%, unless they are shedding so a moist box or placing the water bowl on the heat mat to raise humidity is good at those times of shedding.

As for the heat mat, I was under the impression it needed to cover half, but it seems covering 1/3 to 1/2 is ideal. From my best guess and its only that I would say the heat mat is maybe too big therefore it is heating the water bowl and therefore your humidity is a lot higher.

The more experienced guys do prefer photos so its easier to give an opinion so while you are waiting for them to reply maybe try uploading some?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000