The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zoobeef Posted - 21/10/2009 : 17:26:51
Not sure if this is the right section as its a hello with soome general questions.

Im a member of another forum (car related) so i know how valuable the forums are and how they can be a good part of your life :)
So i thought i'd start the ball rolling in joining this one. I hate being a noob but i've got to start somewhere haha.

I've wanted a snake since i was about 12 but as the mother doesnt like them i was never aloud to get one. I am now nearly 25 and moved out over 4 years ago and a few months ago i was in the garden centre looking at the pets and its given me the bug again, much to the happiness of the missus lol.

Always wanted a Royal as in my opinion there the best looking snakes there are :)

Now in december i'll be leaving the country for 3 months so the plan is to get one once im back at the end of Feb, is it correct that the breeding season is Spring to Summer anyways??

In the last 3 months and the next 4 alot of research has been/will be done so i'll be fully prepared for what its going to be like owning a snake and have spent a lot of time on here reading everones experiances.

Now the main reason i'm writing on here today is that im looking into building my own viv. When the royals are young i see that alot of people keep them in RUBs and then either upgrade to a bigger RUB or then move them into a viv. My plans are to build a viv that is 36"x18"x18" and put a temporary partition in so its smaller and then keeping it in that straight away. Will this be fine to do? I'm going to be building the viv soon, using an infrared bulb on a dimmer stat, 2 hides (1 cool end, 1 hot), and a water bowl/bathing bowl in the middle. Also in there will be the usual plants and sticks.

As im building it soon i'll have plenty of time to get it set up right befor i get a royal and everything should be grand :)

Last question for now haha is how big should the partition be at first? so it becomes 12"x18"x18" or 24"x18x18"?

Thanks for your help guys and hopefully in the future i can help others :)

Cheers

Mark
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zoobeef Posted - 22/10/2009 : 17:54:50
Good point, i did think there might not be enough room to make sure there was a cool end using the infrared. As i'll be building it soon but not getting one for a bit yet i'll prob get it up and running for a week and get it set right then store it untill a couple of weeks befor i get one and set it up again.
I'm going down to the Snake thing in Portsmouth this sunday so should be able to get more ideas from there. Anyone else going?
Blackecho Posted - 22/10/2009 : 06:27:26
Good point Spor.
spor Posted - 22/10/2009 : 01:49:57
plan sounds good although i think you would find that you would have issues with temperature gradients if you were using an infra red heat lamp in a one foot viv. using a heat mat with a pulse stat would probably work better for that amount of space and then you could covert to ceramic heat lamps when expanding the viv, Or you could go as planned but have a rub as a back up so if you do have problems with temps you could re move partition and place rub in the viv.
Sorry hope that makes sense. Which ever way you decide. make sure you get 2 digital thermometers one for hot side one for could and have your viv up and running at least a week before you get your snake. that way you will allow yourself time to see and sort any problems.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Blackecho Posted - 21/10/2009 : 18:03:49
Sounds spot on, the 1' side, then the 2' side and then all of it.
Zoobeef Posted - 21/10/2009 : 17:48:23
I want to start as young as possible so i can watch it grow so prob best to start with the smallest partition then and expand as it grows?
matty18714 Posted - 21/10/2009 : 17:39:49
Hello and welcome.

36x18x18 would be fine for a royal. The partitioned section's size depends on what size royal you want. The rule of thumb is: legth of viv + depth of viv = length of snake.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000