The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 coco - not eaten properly for 2 weeks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
theonlydarrenever Posted - 23/10/2009 : 22:03:21
hi guys,

coco the python hasn't eaten properly for about 2 weeks. last week i offered the usual small rat weaner but wasn't interested. i had a small mouse spare so i tried that and in the morning it was gone.

normally coco is a strike feeder but i've had problems lately getting the bugger to eat. this week he didn't take anything at all.

i read that non feeding is kinda normal for this time of year, would this apply to my royal even though it's quite young?

i'm not too worried about it at the mo as it ate last week, even though it was a small mouse. just wanted a bit of info :) cheers
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bengy_s Posted - 02/11/2009 : 22:59:28
Thats great news. They do make us worry.

Just a word to the wise (it happened to my corn snakes): if your feeding them rats & then for what ever reason go back to adult mice (i ran out of wieners too) it can sometime be difficult to get him/her back on rats as mice are more appealing to snakes due to a more inticing scent.
theonlydarrenever Posted - 02/11/2009 : 20:03:15
coco's back on the rats :) had 2 small weaners tonight. struck and constricted aswell. landed.
theonlydarrenever Posted - 26/10/2009 : 17:38:59
thanks for the replies guys and girls.

i'm not really worried about coco not feeding for a couple of weeks cause i know this happens with royals. just wondered if it was probably due to the time of year. ill keep you all informed on what happens when i try a smaller item next feed :)
kashie Posted - 24/10/2009 : 23:20:27
Gladyss was on rat weaners and a regular feeder at one point and for no reason just stopped eating for 12 weeks, I managed to get her feeding again by offering her mice, which at the time was better than her having nothing.

After a few weeks of mice she is now back on small rats, so don't worry and as they say above, apparently it isnt unusual for this time of year.
antw23uk Posted - 24/10/2009 : 22:04:37
You just have to love em
hodgie Posted - 24/10/2009 : 19:39:31
I`ve got one that hasn`t eaten for 5 weeks, and when i bought Joker he went 7 weeks without food. I think you need to learn that Royals aren`t your average pet like a cat or a dog feeding all the time, i know its worrying but it is very common. I`ve seen reports of Royals going over a year without feeding, now that would freek me out abit.
xautomaticflowersx Posted - 24/10/2009 : 18:35:56
If you have the stomach for it you could try stabbing the rat to get some blood/brain matter exposed. Most snakies seem to rather like that.
It's what I do if ever Ripley is taking a bit long to strike. As soon as there's a bit of blood or brain exposed his little tongue goes mad and he grabs it pretty quickly.
antw23uk Posted - 24/10/2009 : 16:45:26
Obran my 07 hasnt eaten for a month and he is normally a great strike feeder ... just so happens it was a month ago i put him in his new viv
theonlydarrenever Posted - 23/10/2009 : 22:28:02
coolbeans. well i guess i'll just try again next week. might try a smaller food item to try get it going again.
Blackecho Posted - 23/10/2009 : 22:20:20
So far I have 1 at 5 weeks, not unusual for this time of year.
ookami Posted - 23/10/2009 : 22:09:03
hiya i dont think that 2 weeks will be much of a problem but somwone with more experiance will be along soon to let you know!! xx

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000