The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 humidity getting lower.....any ideas???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 09:17:36
my humidity regularly sits between 50%-54% but recently it has been dropping to around 45%-48%. I have been having to mist spray the tank to keep the humidity up. I have moved the water bowl more over to the warm end of the tank which didnt achieve nothing
I will get a picture up as soon as i can, but in the mean time could the winter weather be affecting this, i always thought that humidity went up in winter.

any ideas, thanks
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bengy_s Posted - 10/11/2009 : 14:50:57
thats very low. I think it'd be very hard to have that low humidity in this environment. Is it an analogue/dial or digital hygrometer?
Blackecho Posted - 10/11/2009 : 06:44:03
If it gets below 40% I'd question the hydrometer.
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 10/11/2009 : 06:39:29
i know it is meant to be about 45-60% (ish) and whenever mine is droppong below 45 i spray the tank and this brings it back up again. im not sure about 30's one of the experts should be able to answer this for you
Simonas Posted - 10/11/2009 : 00:11:36
mines dropping to low 30's shou;d I worry bout that?
chris100575 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 13:40:44
I don't worry about it either, normal room humidity is fine.
bengy_s Posted - 09/11/2009 : 13:00:07
would agree with BE regarding central heating being on so dries the air out that circulates the room and viv. I only happen to have a digital thermometer with a built in hygrometer, but again as BE said, i wouldn't worry bout it too much day-to-day, just swap or provide moist hides when he enters 'blue' phase and lightly mist the viv. Otherwise high fourties isn't going to have an adverse effect on him. Mine goes in his water bowl around shedding time so if he did feel 'dry' the bowl is always there for him.
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 09:36:15
as promised some pictures of the viv (not the water bowl is in the middle of the viv now not in the cool end), just wondering whether the size of the water bowl might be the problem.

left hand side of vivarium

middle of the vivarium (where the water bowl is now - not above)

right hand side of vivarium

note: will be buying infra-red bulb, waiting for this heat bulb to die
Blackecho Posted - 09/11/2009 : 09:34:26
I wouldn't bother, just provide a damp hide when in shed.

You could add a larger (surface area, not depth) water bowl if you want to.

I would guess that as its getting colder your central heating is on more and drying the air out, but I don't monitor my humidity, room humidity is usually fine in this country.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000