The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 behaviour help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fjfenton Posted - 15/11/2009 : 21:34:33
Doug, my 04 male royal is making a mess of his belly. He keeps climbing on his viv 'furniture', particularly the ceramic guard, and he keeps falling down. But whilst climbing/falling he is catching and pulling his belly scales. up until now they have looked a bit rough but tonight i have noticed they have got a more pink tinge like he has grazed himself. I am bathing his tummy in iodine solution to prevent infection (although there are no visible 'breaks'/cuts in his scales). There is no blood, no mites, the temperatures are OK, I have not changed any of his set-up. He has not done this before, and none of my other snakes which have identical set-ups are behaving oddly. The only noticeable change to him is he stopped eating a couple of weeks ago...but he does this every year! I did wonder if it was his hormones as my female is in the next viv?

Does anyone have any suggestions what might be causing this behaviour, and how can I prevent him hurting himself?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bengy_s Posted - 16/11/2009 : 22:24:08
Yeah I wouldn't think the behaviour is a big concern. As said I think the photos will be needed as the pink scales are probably from the climbing but anything is a guess without photos.

You said temps are fine. Is the viv substrate nice and dry? Your doing the right thing to bathe the belly but if the substrate is wet it can lead to scale rot. Does the scales look ANYTHING like this?

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1382/p1010574sa5.jpg

I imagine not so bad as you are treating it. If the edges have any darkness around the pink then please take him to the vets. In particularly around the areas where you say the scales appear "broken"?
matty18714 Posted - 16/11/2009 : 21:27:34
Im having the same problem at the moment. I have a female royal that is climbing on her bulb guard for hours after 6 each evening. Shes not got any pink pathces as of yet, but her scales are becoming scuffed in places.

What type of guard are you using?

This kind: http://www.petzoo.co.uk/product_thumb.php?img=images/bulbguard.jpg&w=116&h=150

or this kind?: http://www.livefoods.co.uk/images/ceramic_heater_guard.jpg

Im using the first one, but thinking that maybe I should change for the second one as she may not be able to cling onto it.
fjfenton Posted - 15/11/2009 : 22:35:11
quote:
Originally posted by boze

Maybe coming up for a shed? Sals tummy scales go pink before her eyes go blue...

I know what you mean but hes not coming up to shed to the best of my knowledge and when he does his belly also goes an orangey-pink...this is different and seems more localised at the base of each scale, also the edges of the scales are a bit ragged where they look like they've broken off a bit where he has caught himself
boze Posted - 15/11/2009 : 22:30:00
Maybe coming up for a shed? Sals tummy scales go pink before her eyes go blue...
fjfenton Posted - 15/11/2009 : 22:28:28
meant to add that when I was bathing his tummy scales i had a good look at them and the pink tinge seems to be where the scales attach (almost like if you bend your nail back), and it is only on about a third of his body, starting about 4 inches down from his head (ie appears to be where he tries to hold on with). Also, he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort...he was active and explorative as normal when i had him out and didn't flinch or anything when i touched and bathed his tummy
fjfenton Posted - 15/11/2009 : 22:23:11
I will try an get pics ASAP...I don't want to get him out again today as he has already been out so I could bathe his tummy, so don't want to stress him.
I have removed all 'funiture' except his water bowl and hot & cold hides....
bengy_s Posted - 15/11/2009 : 21:50:04
Reference to the taking photos, close ups are good. Obviously you might need someone else to hold him or the camera.
Blackecho Posted - 15/11/2009 : 21:49:49
Is he hunting for a mate do you think?
bengy_s Posted - 15/11/2009 : 21:48:53
They do climb if they can, they just aren't very good at it!

Have you got a photo of the "pink tinge like scales"? That is the only concern I would have at this point. I would suggest that if there is anything high up in his viv then remove it or lower it because as I said, they're not good climbers.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000