The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Temps

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
boze Posted - 28/11/2009 : 16:10:21
Right.... The temp outside sals warm hide on the substrate is 90-92F but the temp INSIDE her warm hide is only about 81F, she spends the vast majority of her time in her warm hide so will this affect her in any way? Shes on an IR bulb and dimmer....

D
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boze Posted - 29/11/2009 : 21:16:43
Aye cheers GP :-) I think ill be making some hides as soon as sals outgrown these ones...

Would it be cheeky to ask for a couple pics of your slate ones? Ive got a lot of slate out my back garden you see.....

D
Gingerpony Posted - 29/11/2009 : 21:11:00
obviously if you're using a heatmat, say for a juvenile in a faun or RUB, and heating from below the temp in the hide should be spot-on regardless of the type of hide
Gingerpony Posted - 29/11/2009 : 21:09:28
she has the option to go somewhere warmer (ie. outside the hide but still under the IR) so i wouldnt worry too much hun

the E-T style hides do seem to insulate the heat away from the snake, so inside can be considerably cooler, which is why i use home-made slate-topped hides now
boze Posted - 28/11/2009 : 23:51:05
I put the probe in a part of the hide she cant fit in (its a tight slope) so her body temp didnt affect the reading lol

Its cool, as long as im not the only one experiencing cooler temps inside hides then im sure all will be well :-)

cheers folks

D
spor Posted - 28/11/2009 : 23:00:12
with the temp probe in the hide you will actually end up reading the temp of the snake when it is in the hide as it normally ends up lying on top of probe, if she spends most time in the hide she is not coming out to get warmer but her temp inside is getting her to 81 which will be ok. as long as the temp gradient is there for her to use then she will be happy.
boze Posted - 28/11/2009 : 21:18:49
Thanks for the replies folks.

GP: Her warm hide is under the IR bulb and its one of them open-bottomed epoxy type exo terra jobbies. I was just curious about the temp in her hide the other day so popped her cool end thermometer probe inside her hide for a while. It just seems weird. When she was in her RUB on a heatmat she would always be moving between her warm and cool hides but since shes been in her viv with an IR bulb shes almost never out of her warm hide....

Shes still eating fine, shedding fine, pooing fine and being handled regularly...

D
Gingerpony Posted - 28/11/2009 : 20:30:56
is the hide immediately under the IR source? and what sort of hide is it?

i do measure the temp inside the hides, and aim for about 3*C below the optimum hot end temp. with my boas, i have a hide with a slate top directly under the heat source so the slate absorbs and emits the heat and is a good basking area on an evening too.
with my big boa who is heated with a rep rad the actual stat probe is suspended 6inches below the guard and the stat is set to the thermometer, so a cold snake coming over and laying on the probe doesn't happen and send the temps soaring!
matty18714 Posted - 28/11/2009 : 17:58:00
I dont measure temps in hides either, just next to the hide.
boze Posted - 28/11/2009 : 17:49:01
So its alright if she spends most of her time at 81F?

D
Blackecho Posted - 28/11/2009 : 17:17:08
TBH, I don't measure the temps in my hides, but know some people do and have the probes in the hides.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000