The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Co-habiting question ASAP

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lancealittle Posted - 29/11/2009 : 10:42:51
i have just acquired a 3ft x15" x15" viv with 3x 1&1/2 ft royals, supposedly males. they have been together since bought about 1 1/2 years ago.

i feel i must explain a bit here - i used to have a royal about 10 years ago which died. i had had her for around 5 years when it happened. due to my attachment to that particular snake i found it hard to get another one until now.
these royals belonged to a local drunk who has ended up being evicted - instead of using the money i paid him for them (£180) to pay his rent he blew it on more booze & lost his home in a matter of weeks.

i like to think i have done the snakes a favour. 2 of the 3 have fed already within a week of the move.

so now to my question :

since these royals have been together since their early days, should i split them into 2 tanks (i still have my old viv) or leave as-is ? if i do take 1 out it should be soon before they enter adulthood and dominance starts to happen.

also that would leave 2 in one tank since i dont have a 3rd viv, and couldnt even think of getting another till mid january.

any advice is welcome, please get in touch with your comments.

oh, and hi from a forum-newbie too

regards to all, paul
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lee2308 Posted - 19/12/2009 : 21:21:09
good to see you have your priorities right.
Blackecho Posted - 19/12/2009 : 20:05:13
Well done Paul, happy Christmas to you too.
lancealittle Posted - 19/12/2009 : 19:47:50
hi guys, problem for me isnt paying for a viv - after all you pay for what u get. pay pennies get pooh - as my missus says ;)

its a case of finding the cash this side of xmas - after all kids come 1st, but that hasnt stopped me. i pawned off my wii & used the money to get they new viv.

its a ebay bargain viv, 2ft x 15" x 15". looks nice, easy to clean and fairly cheap (£60) to replace when old.

keep sending posts, i enjoy reading the good advice.

oh, and merry xmas to all !

regards, paul
heaton177 Posted - 14/12/2009 : 17:24:28
maybe get the viv as a present off a family member, or try building one yourself wpuld prob be alot cheaper. and people have put up some DIY viv instuctions u can follow?
lancealittle Posted - 14/12/2009 : 16:51:33
based in wales uk.

Blackecho - arranging another viv at the mo, should be sorted by weekend. no point arranging a RUB when for a little more i can get a viv. just bad timing with xmas so close....
Paulusworm Posted - 13/12/2009 : 08:45:35
Whereabouts are you based Paul?
Gingerpony Posted - 12/12/2009 : 21:37:45
DEFINITELY split them up............
Blackecho Posted - 12/12/2009 : 18:44:00
If they're males (or at least one of them) then they could easily be starting to try and mate. They may not care that they are trying to mate with another male, or if one of them is female you may be in for a trip to the vets or a dead snake if you're not lucky.

It costs about £30-£40 to set a RUB up, suggest you get it sorted.
lancealittle Posted - 12/12/2009 : 17:57:49
im also noticing some odd behaviour. 2 of the 3 snakes are displaying 'courtship behaviour' around feeding times before being seperated. they are twisting together for small periods of around 5 mins or so, then seperating, then repeating for maybe a hour total.

i call this odd since they are young, and also i thought they were all males ! any1 seen similar behavious in their royals ?

nice RUB box setup spor, thanks.
spor Posted - 10/12/2009 : 01:50:01
really hard to say for sure on age as it all depends on feeding etc. my 4 were under 6 months at that lenght.

check this thread out for rub pic.
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1451
lancealittle Posted - 09/12/2009 : 20:14:19
sorry 4 delay in replying, and thanks 4 advice guys. ill split them as soon as can be done.

to answer your questions, yes in good health except 1 was burnt by a bulb when young and has left a mark / scar. as for age im only going by what the bloke told me. they feed well on small dead rats - i seperate them for that and feed weekly. 2 eat well but 1 likes his food 'shaken' before striking.

they also hunting more often, should i provide food more than 1 / week ? maybe the 1 1/2" baby rats are too small. Advice please.

what is appropriate age for 18" snakes ? and any1 got a pic of a RUB?

regards, paul
Gingerpony Posted - 01/12/2009 : 21:16:53
quote:
Originally posted by lancealittle

i have just acquired a 3ft x15" x15" viv with 3x 1&1/2 ft royals...bought about 1 1/2 years ago.

18" and supposedly 18 months old?? that's really small!

and as the viv you got is 36"x15" you could even split it into 3 x 12"x15" vivs, plenty big enough space for each royal individually
spor Posted - 01/12/2009 : 01:33:46
As GP has just said you could split your 3ft viv with a divider giving you the three vivs you need to split them all up( which i would also reccomend) and then in Jan or what ever you could buy your third viv and remove the divider. Are the snakes in good health? had the previous owner manage to keep feeding them ok?
Gingerpony Posted - 29/11/2009 : 21:21:39
oh! as the viv you've got is a 3 footer you could easily put in a divider that could be removed to house a single adult at a later date. or RUBs (Really Useful Boxes) are a cheap alternative that royals seem to like
Gingerpony Posted - 29/11/2009 : 21:18:36
i co habit my corns but they are all older than a year (past the age of common cannibalism) and the juvies are in 110% definitely-certain single-sex pairs. all pairs are VERY evenly matched in size, age and weight and are VERY carefully monitored. i have FULL provision to split all of my pairs up at a moments notice. co-habiting snakes neccessitates feeding individually outside of the viv, something that many royals won't take to.
although i get away with it with my corns i certainly wouldn't risk it with any of my boas (or python when i was a python-keeper)
i might be sounding like a hypocrit but i'd definitely split them and house them individually
Blackecho Posted - 29/11/2009 : 13:57:04
As above, have a read of the Sticky.
sexychef Posted - 29/11/2009 : 11:09:05
as matty says
matty18714 Posted - 29/11/2009 : 10:58:37
I would split them all up as soon as you can. It is better for the snakes in many ways. Keeping them together doesnt give the snakes any benifits.

Have a read of this: http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2922

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000