The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 substrate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ookami Posted - 02/12/2009 : 18:42:33
hey all when i move Igbo into his bigger viv i am thinking of using "astro turf" for the substrate cut into foot long sections for ease of removal when he poos and im going to buy enought for 2 "sets" i was just wondering if this would be ok i dont want to use orchid bark as ive heard of a few snakes getting mites from this and im probably being daft but the chips seem uncomfortable :)
thanks xxx
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ookami Posted - 07/12/2009 : 20:40:06
thanks BE :)
not that i hold a lot of snakes (just my 2!!)but its good to know!
Blackecho Posted - 07/12/2009 : 15:42:02
It is possible to pass a lot of diseases including mites/eggs, always best to thoroughly clean between handling snakes.
ookami Posted - 07/12/2009 : 14:56:21
thanks again guys
how are mites passed? on is it possible that if i was to hold a snake with mites that id bring them home and pass them on?
skullcandy Posted - 07/12/2009 : 00:18:49
aspen or orchid bark, if your going to get mites your gonna get them regardless of substrate
Robert Posted - 06/12/2009 : 22:42:36
I prefer Aspen and spot clean when needed and a thorough clean every 4 weeks or so.
Nazzle Posted - 05/12/2009 : 17:07:21
We use astro-turf at work and just keep multiple sheets so they can be changed whenever necessary, in rotation. We have the hides with removable bottoms,covered in paper (newspaper without print) and as this is where most of the mess is the astroturf doesn't need changing all the time. Must admit I'd never use it at home though, orchid bark is far easier to spot clean.
ookami Posted - 03/12/2009 : 14:07:05
thanks for your input guys :)
looks like ill have to think again might go with apsen coz hes used to being fed outside his faun so there would be no risk of impaction and the viv i got is tobaco walnut so this would brighten it up a bit
thanks again xxx
spor Posted - 02/12/2009 : 20:40:28
I had thought of doing this when i first started planning on keeping snakes. seemed like a great idea and would look great but as GP said the concern would be the build up of bacteria. spot cleaning with bark/aspen or chipping is a doddle with a total clean out every few weeks. but this really would not be possible with the AstroTurf and you would constantly be swapping it out to clean which in the end would cause more disturbance to the snake.
Gingerpony Posted - 02/12/2009 : 19:44:49
could harbour bacteria unless it was changed and disinfected daily....
ookami Posted - 02/12/2009 : 19:19:30
i could put kitchen roll below it ???
Blackecho Posted - 02/12/2009 : 19:11:29
I've thought about it in the past, you can get some good quality stuff that won't be too rough on them. The only problem I can think of is that it wouldn't be absorbent at all.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000