The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Heating help please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
char3190 Posted - 20/12/2009 : 23:13:19
When I first got my royal she was in a little RUB, and was being heated by a heat mat. Now she is in a 4ft vivarium, I have not yet changed this.
Is the heat mat enough to heat the viv suffieciently?

And also, I noticed today that the temp in her warm end were a bit higher than normal, and very hot to touch.
So I checked the mat (which I was told to place in between bits of polysteriene under the viv) to find it had melted/burned it.
Now I'm wondering would it be best to get the mat on a timer, so it doesn't over heat?

Advice would be much appreciated, as my reptile guy is good, but a bit too intent on seling my things I dont even know if I need haha :)

Thankyou, Charlotte x
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
heaton177 Posted - 25/12/2009 : 16:47:24
i have my royal in a 4ft viv she is about 2ft in length but i have halved the viv so it is only 2ft long and when he gows i will then take out the partition, i use a bulb to heat mine and got a thermostat which BE advised me to get and i have never had a prob with him :) (hes always accepted food)
chris100575 Posted - 23/12/2009 : 08:47:52
quote:
Originally posted by char3190

Thanks for all the advice, think I will go with the bulb if that's best for her.

And she is feeding fine in the 4ft viv, every week without fail.

Chris can I get the list of stuff you advised on from 888 do you know?

Thanks again, Charlotte

I've found most of it. They only seem to sell a bayonet bulb holder and an adaptor for a screw fitting, but your local reptile shop should have a screw fitting holder.

There's a guy on here called Reptiles Ink that makes the guards, I've not had one from him myself but several others have. Apparently they're better quality than you get in the shops but well priced, and I think he also does the bulb holders. Might be worth talking to him first.

Hope this helps, Chris

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1728&ProductGroupID=908 Thermostat that BE linked to.

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1877&ProductGroupID=945 Bulb. (I'm using a 100w in a four foot viv.)

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=2677&ProductGroupID=1311 Guard.

Gingerpony Posted - 23/12/2009 : 08:05:26
quote:
Originally posted by char3190

So if he doesnt tell me I need it and I cant see it in the shop, I'm not to know really.

that's the beauty of researching first........

some shops are absolutely awful for advice and just trying to get a sale. i've recently had a rant on TCS about a shop that sold a noob a whole load of useless equipment! i think they should be named and shamed!!
char3190 Posted - 22/12/2009 : 22:29:18
Thanks for all the advice, think I will go with the bulb if that's best for her.

And she is feeding fine in the 4ft viv, every week without fail.

Chris can I get the list of stuff you advised on from 888 do you know?

Thanks again, Charlotte
Blackecho Posted - 21/12/2009 : 11:37:44
http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1728&ProductGroupID=908

That's a dimming version.
337smile Posted - 21/12/2009 : 11:14:55
Cheers Chris, my bad. Was assuming ceramic bulbs.
337smile Posted - 21/12/2009 : 11:13:57
Sorry, forgot to mention the stat link I posted is for ceramic bulbs as it supplies the power in short pulses.If it was used for a red bulb it would flick the light on and off.
chris100575 Posted - 21/12/2009 : 11:11:49
quote:
Originally posted by 337smile

Here is the link to the stat

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1832&ProductGroupID=932

That's a pulse stat, it won't work with an infra-red bulb, only a ceramic.
chris100575 Posted - 21/12/2009 : 11:09:18
As I said, I was in your shoes when I first got Princess. Nobody here will have a go at you if you don't get something quite right, especially if it's because you were given bad advice.

I'm using an infra-red heat bulb for Princess. Bulbs are better for heavier snakes like pythons and boas because they warm the air rather than just the substrate directly on top of the mat. What you will need is:

A bulb holder, go for a screw fitting rather than a bayonet as the bulbs are easier to find.

A bulb, I'm using a 100w IR in a four foot viv. Snakes can't see red light very well, so she'll think it's dusk.

A guard so that your snake can't touch the bulb and get burned.

A dimmer stat. These are the only kind that you can use with light-emitting bulbs. Microclimate and Habistat are both well regarded. You can then do away with the mat altogether. I saved mine and Feather is now using it under her RUB until she's big enough for her own viv.
337smile Posted - 21/12/2009 : 11:02:39
Here is the link to the stat

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1832&ProductGroupID=932
337smile Posted - 21/12/2009 : 10:58:38
A bulb would be better in the viv, but at her size a heatmat would still be ok. Is she feeding ok because 2 and a half foot is a bit small to be in a four foot viv really. You could always partition some of the viv off until she grows and the heatmat (with stat) would be ok.

If you have the cash I wouldn't get a mat stat as you'll need to change it when you use a bulb. BE pasted a link to 888 reptiles who sell the right stat for £30.
char3190 Posted - 21/12/2009 : 10:30:15
Do you think so? See the guy I got her from owns a very small shop, and what he doesnt have there he orders in for people. So if he doesnt tell me I need it and I cant see it in the shop, I'm not to know really.
It's my first snake of my own, and I only want the best for her really, just not gettin the advice I need, until I came on here of course :)

But yes she's just over 2 and half foot now, and her viv if 4ft. Would a heat bulb be better than?
And what sort of one would I need?

Thankyou :)
chris100575 Posted - 21/12/2009 : 10:07:20
There are a lot of reptile shops telling people that you don't need a thermostat for a heat mat, I was told the same thing so don't feel bad. As BE said, for the sake of a £20 mat stat it's not worth the risk to the animal but to be honest if your royal's big enough for a four foot viv you'd be better using a heat bulb anyway.
char3190 Posted - 21/12/2009 : 09:40:02
I agree. I thought to myself it seemed a bit strange, and obviously know basic physics, and that a 100 degree heat will melt polysteriene.
But I trusted the words of the guy I bought my Royal from, as I've been a customer of his for years, and had no reson to doubt him.

So is there many different types of stats? Which are the best?

Thanks so much for the advice!
Blackecho Posted - 21/12/2009 : 06:51:26
You were mis-informed (obviously not your fault), heat mats can get very hot (as you've now found out) and you'll cook your snake. For the cost of a £20 matstat its not worth the risk. Also, there is no need for the polystyrene in my opinion.
char3190 Posted - 20/12/2009 : 23:50:26
No I dont as I wasnt told I needed one.
I was told that the heat mat under the viv, not inside it, would not be too hot for her...
sexychef Posted - 20/12/2009 : 23:35:57
heat mat - stat = burnt snake

heat mat + stat = happy snake

im guessing you dont have a stat, if it can burn and melt things.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000