The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Your substrate?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GirlHarry Posted - 22/12/2009 : 16:25:32
I was just wondering who uses which substrate for their python here?

Having experienced my first ever python poo last night, I feel compelled to change my substrate from unprinted newspaper to something a little more absorbant & less likely to flick up and spray me in fresh wee.

(How can so much moisture some from such a small being?!)

What do you find best & why?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reptilekeeper1992 Posted - 10/01/2010 : 00:33:01
i use beech chippings, they look pretty
i have a flat rock in the vivarium which the mousey goes on so i know there wont be any ingesting of chippings. And i always watch Boo feed till she has finished so that I can doubley check
brookehamiltonx Posted - 05/01/2010 : 20:21:44
aw thanks think i'm gonna just stick with orchid bark- though I did like the look of coco husk x
Blackecho Posted - 05/01/2010 : 19:13:03
quote:
Originally posted by brookehamiltonx

quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

out of the 3 you listed above orchid bark BUT you really need to bake it first to kill any creepy crawlies lurking in it and to dry it out or the humidity will go through the roof!

how do you bake stuff sorry i'm still new to all the reptile keeping lol xx

Put it in a baking tray at 160C for an hour.
james200789 Posted - 05/01/2010 : 18:49:28
i use eco bark mixed with a bit of orchid bark to keep a nice level of humidity.
brookehamiltonx Posted - 05/01/2010 : 18:32:24
quote:

out of the 3 you listed above orchid bark BUT you really need to bake it first to kill any creepy crawlies lurking in it and to dry it out or the humidity will go through the roof!

how do you bake stuff sorry i'm still new to all the reptile keeping lol xx
snakey20 Posted - 05/01/2010 : 14:10:39
im usind aspen at the mo never heared of Aubiose but fink im gona look in to in
n/a Posted - 05/01/2010 : 10:59:56
I use wood chip
Gingerpony Posted - 04/01/2010 : 21:44:25

aspen is good but most of my snakes are on sheets of newspaper with shredded paper for them to burrow and hide in
brookehamiltonx Posted - 04/01/2010 : 20:30:47
quote:

i'm sure in the wild various other stuff IS ingested and yes some probably will die if it causes an impaction or tears the gut lining.............
BUT with our captive snakes we CAN prevent this through good husbandry techniques

good point, think i'll try and feed outside the viv from now on i've been so stupid these past few weeks .

what do you's thinks the best substrate..
orchid bark
plantation soil
or coconut husk

and i'll be making sure cleo's getting fed out of her viv DEFO
Gingerpony Posted - 02/01/2010 : 21:10:04
i'm sure in the wild various other stuff IS ingested and yes some probably will die if it causes an impaction or tears the gut lining.............
BUT with our captive snakes we CAN prevent this through good husbandry techniques
brookehamiltonx Posted - 02/01/2010 : 20:55:23
i'm a beginner & all, but, im sure snakes in the wild ingest something other than prey somewhere along their lifes?
i know that my snake hasn't ingested any, and i'm only feeding her in her viv until i'm sure she's settled, maybe only for another 2 feeds :-)x
spor Posted - 02/01/2010 : 01:57:27
i use news print(unprinted) and aspen on top. paper soaks up the wet quite well and spot clean the aspen is quite easy. going to look into Aubiose though as cheaper alternatives are always a good thing to find.
Blackecho Posted - 01/01/2010 : 20:45:10
I would say that's the one substrate I definitely wouldn't feed on personally. Imagine if one of those pieces accidentally got ingested.
brookehamiltonx Posted - 01/01/2010 : 20:07:36
i use orchid bark, haven't had any problems with my feeding & i feed within the viv :)x
Blackecho Posted - 23/12/2009 : 16:57:51
http://www.aubiose.co.uk/
GirlHarry Posted - 23/12/2009 : 15:37:43
I've never tried it to be honest, i've only had my ball for 3 weeks and i don't want to stress her & [potentially] put her off her food.

Kitchen roll is an option, forgot about that!
chris100575 Posted - 23/12/2009 : 15:17:52
I feed mine in the viv. Princess might be OK, but in a few years I don't fancy trying to wrestle Feather back in when she's still in feeding mode...
matty18714 Posted - 23/12/2009 : 13:47:26
Will the snake not feed out of the viv?
chris100575 Posted - 23/12/2009 : 13:12:23
Aubiose is horse bedding, it looks very similar to Aspen but it's a lot cheaper. You could always put down a piece of kitchen roll or something and put the food onto that if you're worried about substrate ingestion.
GirlHarry Posted - 23/12/2009 : 12:41:27
Aubiose? Never heard of that.

I'm worried the python might accidentally take some substrate down with her foods, so even though i really want to use a different substrate, i'm worried it might hurt her in some way. I know some substrates can be digested and won't cause harm, but i still get a little nervous

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000