The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Heat Mat Issue! - Help?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LuiBlu Posted - 24/12/2009 : 01:20:28
I got a komodo heat mat with my vivarium and the guy said when i was setting up to put the heat mat copper side down. [It has two copper strips, one on each end.]

Here's my issue - the bit that the mains connects to is flat on one side and circular on the other. Supposedly so that you know to put the flat side down - therefore the whole thing lies perfectly flat on the surface, and then the viv sits on top?

But in doing that the copper side faces up... So i'm worried. It heats the same both sides, but is there a risk if the copper is touching the glass???

I'm heavy stressing over it. Any help or advice would be majorly appreciated.

Thanks x
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gingerpony Posted - 25/12/2009 : 21:09:27
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

that looks familiar..............
LuiBlu Posted - 24/12/2009 : 23:20:34
Yeah, I've got three sides covered. I've now managed to make sure my heat mat is secure and everything is at the right temp and humidity. She's doing fine, takes wee wanders around but spends most of her time in her hide. I', pretty sure that's normal though.

Tried feeding her today - she wasn't for having it. lol. But i've left it in overnight to see if she's just shy. I'll take it out tomorrow if it's still there and try again next week. This'll be two weeks since her last feed.

x
Blackecho Posted - 24/12/2009 : 15:22:04
Very good
boze Posted - 24/12/2009 : 13:15:07
But dont let them tempt you into eating that apple.......
Blackecho Posted - 24/12/2009 : 12:08:24
Royals, especially hatchlings don't like open spaces, I would suggest covering 3 of the sides if you're using a glass viv.

Like this:

LuiBlu Posted - 24/12/2009 : 12:01:17
Its a komodo starter royal python viv. It'll only do her for another few months - maybe 9 at the most. So you all would suggest a wooden viv then? For when I need an upgrade. I want the best for her obviously, but the komodo viv came with her so I figured no point in buying another one til I need it. The one I've got is only roughly 1'x1'x1'. Nice glass square. I trust that it is suitable for her just now though - the shop I got V from said it's perfect for while she's still so small, because they don't like big open space.

Thank you for answering my question. It helps to know there are nice people on here that can ease my mind on things. :)

It's funny - i was totally prepared for her going off feed and things like that; i didn't think actually setting up would stress me out! lol.

Happy now. She's doing great. xx
chris100575 Posted - 24/12/2009 : 08:28:16
Spor's hit the nail on the head.
spor Posted - 24/12/2009 : 03:18:12
Hi and welcome. You are right in what you think. that is were the power connects to the mat the flat end goes down. The glass will be able to take the heat of the mat as long as you have it on a thermostat. (regardless of what your housing is all heat source should be controlled by a thermostat.) Now over time eventualy the glass will suffer from the heat. I would suggest that you think of getting a rub (Really Useful Box) a faunarium or a wooden viv for when you snake gets a bit bigger. Glass vivs or not as popular over this side of the world. but very common in the states.. Hope this is of some help.

what kind of viv do you have?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000