The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Help needed with feeding problem!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
harry01 Posted - 24/12/2009 : 12:46:17
I fed my 7 month old royal python for the first time since getting it and i've got a small problem, i've fed the snake properly and i did as i was told, however as the python struck, it tore the baby mouse apart and now have the bottom half of the mouse in her mouth (i think next time i will chop the feet off before feeding too!)
at the moment i have the top half of the mouse of a piece of kitchen roll inside the viv, is this alright? if anyone has any info or suggestions i'd be very grateful.

Thanks
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gingerpony Posted - 25/12/2009 : 21:08:11
they learn how to deal with getting down legs and feet..........
it was probably refused as snakes aren't really used to eating prey items insides first lol
as she effectively made the decision to leave it and it wasn't likely to be a particularly stressful feed (probably just confusing for her) i'd try another feed
Blackecho Posted - 24/12/2009 : 19:30:24
Or even weaner rats, size of Royal dependant.
spor Posted - 24/12/2009 : 18:51:15
same here. and again as said no need to cut feet of. she is still quite young and will soon work out the best way to approach eating the prey item. what size of baby mouse where you offering her out of interest. at 7months she could be on small to medium adult mice. or bigger depending on her weight?
Blackecho Posted - 24/12/2009 : 15:23:22
Same here.
matty18714 Posted - 24/12/2009 : 13:45:27
There is no need to cut the feet off, it will be fine with them on. If she looked like she wanted to eat it, but just made a mess of it, I would probably try to feed her again this evening.
harry01 Posted - 24/12/2009 : 13:05:31
she's now spat out the half, so do you think it'd be alright to just defrot another mouse and give it to her tonight?
harry01 Posted - 24/12/2009 : 12:56:14
because she's turned the mouse sideways in her mouth and the feet are sticking out the side of her mouth, so she's moving around the viv trying to find a way to get it in, so if i chop the feet off next time it'll just make it easier for her. thanks for replying though, i can calm down now!
matty18714 Posted - 24/12/2009 : 12:54:34
Thats fine, she may eat it on he own or she may not, it doesnt matter if she doesnt. Why would you chop the feet off?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000