The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Prey Size.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brent09 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 20:56:19
My Royal's roughly 5 months old and currently feeding on medium mice.
I've been told to move him on to large but I'm not really too sure, my Corn's the exact same, she's feeding on mediums too and I've been told the same about her.
Although I'm really not sure if they could handle it, I don't want to try incase they choke or something so how can I tell if they need larger food?
I've timed the feeds but they don't seem to be getting any quicker at eating mediums even though they've both been on mediums for a month to 3/4 months.
:S
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chris100575 Posted - 04/01/2010 : 10:19:09
I feed prey the same diameter as the thickest part of the snake as I don't regularly weigh mine.
Gingerpony Posted - 03/01/2010 : 22:18:32
once you're happy she's regularly taking mice i'd recommend trying her with a rat pup/fuzzy the same size as the mice you usually feed. the earlier you get them used to rats the better as it can be pretty stressful (more for owners though! lol) trying to get them onto rats at a later date....
Brent09 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 22:06:36
Sounds good, thanks for the advice :)
This site owns lol
Blackecho Posted - 03/01/2010 : 21:59:21
Aim for prey size 10-15% the weight of the snake.
Brent09 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 21:09:48
The guy I bought her from said he was only feeding her small mice but she's fine with mediums, I've only fed her twice from I got her 3 weeks ago as I had no way of getting food over the holidays but today I fed her a biggish medium and she handled it fine so I suppose I could try a large.

I have no idea what she weighs, never thought about checking but I'll do it in a day or two as she only ate a few hours ago.
:D
Blackecho Posted - 03/01/2010 : 21:04:11
Very likely that it could take a large mouse.

How much does your Royal weigh?

I'd try rats preferably if you can.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000