The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 New royal, concerns. UPDATE!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
337smile Posted - 24/01/2010 : 08:37:59
Hi everyone. Just want to thank everyone who helped me when I got my royal in May. Now I have bought another (arrived yesterday) and she is beautiful but I have concerns over her weight.

She is an late 09 Female pastel. I have her in a partitioned off large exo terra (length and with is length of her). She has a hide at warm end (30C) and one at cool end (24C), with a water bowl in the middle. I have blacked out three of the sides and am heating it with a statted mat.

Now weight. She is lively enough and bright and alert but her skin is loose and you can see her backbone. She also feels hollow. I'm told she is feeding on defrost rat pups and I have enquired about entire feeding history. She had a wee last night.

Questions:

1) Is set up ok for a possible underweight/non-feeding royal?

2) How long should I leave her to settle before offering food seeing as I am concerned?

3) Should I be concerned? Perhaps I am being a bit soft because my early 09 male is a chunky 400g

I will post her weight and feeding history when I get it.

THanks in advance everyone.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lilruthie Posted - 10/06/2010 : 23:22:39
hi all been readin the thread and i got to say my partner has a corn snake he's about 18mnths old and have to say he his out day n night lol so wat does that make him??? i have a royal python 6 weeks old but to early to say but she tends to cum out alot in the day time hangin in her tree branch but hides away in her hide early evening xxx

hugs ruthie
Brent09 Posted - 12/04/2010 : 20:41:27
I keep a few Corns and I have a Royal too and my Corns only really come out at night, same as the Royal, it's very rare they come out during the day.
I've seen alot the same and asked about it in my local reptile shop, they're nocturnal.
karl Posted - 12/04/2010 : 10:52:57
Glad to see all is sorted. Just goes to show the initial shock can make you get alarmed, but a bit of patience and all is ok :)

There are some good threads on the darkside posted by wildlifewarrior with regards to rehydration etc, worth a read
Blackecho Posted - 08/04/2010 : 21:26:23
Sorry, most Corns are Diurnal. You see them a lot more during the day than you would a Royal.
Brent09 Posted - 08/04/2010 : 21:02:44
May be a bit late in the thread but I'd like to correct Gingerpony in saying that Corns ARE nocturnal :P lol
337smile Posted - 08/04/2010 : 12:33:41
The rat pups were about 9g. She moved on to mice of about 12g, now she is eating 15g mice.
spor Posted - 05/04/2010 : 01:24:26
hi just read through all this and well done. sounds like she is doing well now. Just out of interest. what weighed are the rat pups you are feeding her?
337smile Posted - 03/04/2010 : 19:31:37
9 consecutive feeds now, 2 clean sheds, weighing in at 126g. Looks beautiful now. Thanks again everyone
pfleming Posted - 12/02/2010 : 19:01:36
good luck :)
337smile Posted - 12/02/2010 : 17:28:23
Had her second strike feed on Wednesday night. Rat pup this time, so all is good. Hopefully she'll feed as well as my male from now on.
ookami Posted - 08/02/2010 : 17:57:02
just finished reading this post
so glad to hear that your wee snakey had something to eat!!
(touch wood ) my royal has never refused a feed but ive probably jinxed myself now and ill be on here soon saying "my royal has stopped eating" lol
all the best for the future xxx
337smile Posted - 05/02/2010 : 23:14:30
RESULT!

forgot how good it feels when they feed for the first time.

Defrosted a rat pup and a small mouse. She got excited when i lowered rat pup in and was circling in her hide. She sniffed the pup but then got scared and went back into hide. So I tried lowering in the mouse and BAM!! she struck and has eaten. So pleased know I know she has fed, have been so worried since the skinny girl first arrived at my door two weeks ago. Fed by ipod light

Thanks everyone for support.

Blackecho Posted - 31/01/2010 : 09:07:17
Personally, I'd try Rat Pup again.
337smile Posted - 30/01/2010 : 23:37:47
Update

Tried a feed last night. She showed a little bit of interest but didn't take it.

Left it on top of her warm hide and was still there this morning. I bathed her this morning in a solution to try and get some hydration into her, she seems lively and bright enough so thats good.

No weight loss over the week either.

Now going to leave her alone for 7 days and then try another feed.

Should I try her on rat pups again or try a small mouse?

Thanks
337smile Posted - 27/01/2010 : 22:46:21
quote:
Originally posted by STICKS

Hi there im sure a little tlc from you and it sounds like you are doing all the wright things it will be fine.

Thanks for the support.

She's displaying some nice behaviour now, hiding most of day then having a bit prowl.
STICKS Posted - 27/01/2010 : 20:41:47
Hi there im sure a little tlc from you and it sounds like you are doing all the wright things it will be fine.
337smile Posted - 26/01/2010 : 22:12:39
Came home tonight with some stuff to bathe her in and she was all curled uo cosy in her warm hide so I am leaving her be. Don't want to disturb her now she is settling into her hide. Going to attempt feed on sat and if she doesn't feed then I will get some reptoboost into her by bathing her in it.

If she is weeing though so must be taking on fluids, is that right?
SexyBear77 Posted - 26/01/2010 : 00:01:03
A soak in reptoboost is great because they can drink the water with the supplement in it.
337smile Posted - 25/01/2010 : 23:47:47
Been told she might be dehydrated and that I should bathe her. Any thoughts?

She is a pastel and she wasn't cheap
Lukee Posted - 25/01/2010 : 22:36:07
Wow that couldnt have come cheap, is it a pastel or super, please if you are feeling generous give me a call:).
Your very lucky, hope he feeds soon enough.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000