The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Boy or Girl?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
harry01 Posted - 26/02/2010 : 12:20:37
Hello,

I was told when i purchased my Royal that it was a female, however from what i've seen in python books and online research, it seems to be that my python is a male due to the size of the tail. Is there any other way of telling whether it is male or female apart from probing?

Look forward to hearing from anyone :)

Harry
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pfleming Posted - 26/02/2010 : 16:12:52
yeah i agree with what chris said.. any method that isnt probing is going to be inaccurate, and even probing isnt a 100% sure way of telling
chris100575 Posted - 26/02/2010 : 13:52:32
Not really, no. There are some visible differences such as the tail and the size of the anal spurs, but as they vary from animal to animal even an expert with two royals to compare between couldn't say for definite.

The best way to know is to have him / her probed by a vet, but even that isn't 100% as a male can probe as a female if he tenses up. Babies can be "popped" but again this needs to be done by either a vet or an experienced herpetologist, and it's only suitable for very young snakes.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000