The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 HELP very scared

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mariamcsorley Posted - 27/03/2010 : 16:46:43
Hello, well I have a 4 month old royal now (as sheba my 9month took ill and pet shop wanted to keep her) I have had the 4 month old for over a week- he fed yesterday.
My problem is that every time I go into the viv to give new water or to get him out he hisses and stikes at me. I really do not know what to do. I held him on Tuesday and he was fine, only kept him out for 5 mins and put him back but since then he's turned weird on me.
I am at the stage now that I am scared of him. Im not the most confident person with snakes, this is why my husband got me a baby royal. Its just so upsetting, sheba was really tame and never hissed or went for me at all. I would have thought a younger snake would have been better.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
spor Posted - 30/03/2010 : 01:23:59
well done for making your self do that. My wife had a similar issue with one of my royal. were she hissed and struck at her. she had never done this before and never since. but my wife had to force herself to pick that snake up again to avoid any developing any fear issues. all will be fine. as been said above settling in issues. also you thought that a younger snake would be calmer. not really the case. all snake have their own temperment. put often younger snakes are a bit more on edge as they are less use to interaction. once settled in, she'll be a big softy
mischang Posted - 29/03/2010 : 09:25:24
well done it can be a worry if your last one never did it nice work x x
chris100575 Posted - 29/03/2010 : 08:23:03
Well done Miriam. Once he realises that hissing does no good and that you're not going to eat him he'll calm down.
Robert Posted - 28/03/2010 : 23:00:37
Well done Miriam :) that's the ticket, he may hiss again the next time you try but keep picking him up and handle for a short time he'll soon stop when he knows he's not in any danger :) Bravo
lee2308 Posted - 27/03/2010 : 22:45:13
well done,show him whos boss lol
mariamcsorley Posted - 27/03/2010 : 22:16:04
thank you all for your comments. no he is not going into shed, he hasnt got cloudy eyes and i know he shed a week before we got him so nearly 3weeks ago.
After i posted this i called the pet shop for advice and the lady said the same as Robert bout holding him anyway. So I was very brave and opened the viv door and although he hissed at me I didnt back away I just picked him up :) held him for 10 mins and put him back. so i will do the same tomoz.
Thanks you all so much
Robert Posted - 27/03/2010 : 19:57:54
Could it be that he is going into shed ? do his eyes look cloudy ? if so he should be left alone until he has shed, I always used to wash my hands with carex (any soap will do so long as you do it consistently so they get used to a scent they recognise, if all else is ok and he is not hungry then pick him up regardless of the hissing as if you don't it will re-enforce in him that this means you will leave him alone, I have a pastel royal that used to do that as a young hatchling and it was all bluff, after picking her up a couple of times despite her hissing she stopped doing it realising that I was no threat and that I wasn't going to back off, she is now a delight and loves to be handled :) just be brave and confident and pick him up if he is not shedding :)
mischang Posted - 27/03/2010 : 19:14:27
just leave her for a couple of weeks if you can manage it , its so hard to not handle them when there new but it will pay off when u spot clean or do water u will be leaving ur sent so she will get used to you in time .
Blackecho Posted - 27/03/2010 : 19:06:32
Or just let her bite you, it won't hurt and you'll no longer be scared.

As above though, just give some more time to settle.
lee2308 Posted - 27/03/2010 : 17:44:27
just settling in and being a bit viv defensive,try putting a worn t-shirt in with it so it can get used to your scent

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000