The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Shedding cycle??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lettsy1 Posted - 05/04/2010 : 10:02:30
hiya, could someone tell me how often a 12mth old should shed? when i got her i was told she last shed around the 23rd feb, think she might be starting but she has hidden away in her moist hide (tupperware box with lid and hole cut in it) so cant see what is happening, she took her first feed from me last monday, have offered large mice to her on fri but no interest, dont want to disturb her, can see she has been moving around inside it. im guessin her shed cycle will be longer as think she is underweight she was 287g when first got her, havent weighed her since then.
thanks x
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
heaton177 Posted - 05/07/2010 : 21:21:21
usually a big give away to them finishing there shed cycle is they move hides, well mine does and when i look in the hide there is a big dump :) but all royals are different, i dont need a moist hide anymore as he has matered sheding but when i 1st got him he was on his 2nd shed with me and i had a damp hide in there and i looked into the hide for the skin and the poo was in there and it has started going mouldy so i woould check a bit more as it goes mouldy quickly in a damphide lol.
hodgie Posted - 04/07/2010 : 19:02:03
Eyes go blue, skin goes dull, they dont come out of their hides. After their eyes clear they will shed after 2-3 days and then they usually empty themselves.
Lettsy1 Posted - 04/07/2010 : 18:26:35
quote:
Originally posted by lilruthie

hi new to keeping a royal python, would like some advice please. I think my 10 week old python is probably goin into shed but not to sure, could anyone give me some signs to look out for????

Hi and welcome! I found the only thing sheba does is her eyes go slightly cloudy, not really obvious at all, in fact she has just had her second shed since I've had her and didnt even notice she was goin into blue. I'm sure there will be someone on here who can give you more info than me cos still a newbie myself!
lilruthie Posted - 04/07/2010 : 17:48:39
hi new to keeping a royal python, would like some advice please. I think my 10 week old python is probably goin into shed but not to sure, could anyone give me some signs to look out for????
spor Posted - 13/04/2010 : 02:17:25
you'll find as she gets older she will hide 90%of the time. a lot of royals when they first arrive in their will be out constantly exploring or looking for away out. but hope she has a nice clean first shed for you. she'll look nice and new again.
Lettsy1 Posted - 08/04/2010 : 09:19:27
just a quick update, managed to get a peek inside at sheba, and it looks like her eyes have gone cloudy,(well the one i could see!) didnt take her out or disturb her cos only had her a fortnight, so i'm guessin she hides when shed is imminent.
Lettsy1 Posted - 06/04/2010 : 08:55:46
ok thanks will just keep an eye on her for now, see how things go.
Robert Posted - 05/04/2010 : 22:23:22
She does seem a little underweight for 12 months old and as BE has said it does depend so much on how they have eaten as to when they shed, at 12 months and eating normally I would expect a shed every 6-8 weeks but it can be longer if they are not feeding well. leave her be and just wait, as you said she has a cool moist box and if she has gone in there the chances are that she needs the moisture to help her shed you will know in a few days, try not to worry she'll no doubt be out again soon looking all new and shiny :)
Blackecho Posted - 05/04/2010 : 12:47:22
Sorry, its very dependant on food intake and individual snakes, I have had them from 30 days to 120 days.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000