The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Taming

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
herriotfan Posted - 27/04/2010 : 19:04:31
How do you go about taming a young royal?
Do they bite much when they are young and if so how bad is their bite? Wimp
Do they tend to be rather skittish, in general?
Hope you don't mind all these questions...
Thanks
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
herriotfan Posted - 28/04/2010 : 18:36:35
Thanks for all your help. I'm still doing research on royals and haven't got one yet. I have got a young cornsnake and he's very laid back and docile. From all your advice it sounds very much the same as with a cornsnake, except royals may not want to be handled as much as my corn.
Cheers folks
STICKS Posted - 28/04/2010 : 18:27:20
Hi there how are you feeding, in the viv or are you moving to a feeding rub ?? some do some don't myself i move mine into a rub.ask any Q 's if i can't help im sure there will be someone on here that will i have only been keeping snakes for two years im still new and learning TTFN.
Robert Posted - 28/04/2010 : 18:13:03
You can't exactly tame a snake but you can develop trust in that a royal will learn to trust you if handled gently and treated well, I have two females a normal and a pastel who love to be handled and let me know and often will not want to go back in their respective vivs prefering to be out, I have a male spider who is still very nervous and has to be coached out and handled for short periods, I have never been bitten but my partner has and it is not very painful it is more the shock of the bite in the first place. Young hatchlings are more likely to be nervy and skittish but soon calm down and become very docile if handled correctly, treated with respect and not handled more often than they like to be, obviously refrain from handling if they have just fed or are about to shed, I hope that helps :)
HannahB Posted - 27/04/2010 : 20:59:05
they are like corns in that its not very often they bite, but as with corns you do get the little uns that are a bit more skittish and do lash out more readily than others
just handle them for short periods on a regular basis and they get used to handling although i dont handle mine as much as my corns
boze Posted - 27/04/2010 : 19:12:13
They very rarely bite at all, once you get the snake allow it a couple of weeks without handling to settle in. Once it has settled just handle for a short amount of time a few times a week. They dont really require much handling to be honest and are very gentle wee creatures :-)

D

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000