The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 best way to feed?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
harry01 Posted - 09/05/2010 : 00:37:22
I've had my year old python for around 2 months however she has only fed twice. I am currently offering food using wooden chopsticks, she seems really interested (approaches the mouse and has a good smell) but then backs down and just looks at it. Does anyone have any better ways of offering food? If there anything I can do to get her to eat it?
I'd appreciate any advice

Thanks
Harry
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
STICKS Posted - 11/05/2010 : 18:53:23
Hi there you could give this ago i myself defrost normaly placed in an ice cream pot next to the viv i don't feed them in the viv.I take them out and put them in there rubs and gives them some excersise before feed while thay are in there rubs i boil the kettle i use an old pair of barbcue tongs hold the pray by the tail and put into some boiled water nose first up to the shoulder for a few seconds
take out still wet that way there not dry but warm not hot dangle with tongs hopfully within a min or two strike roll up and gone. some times they roll up and then come back a few min later to eat.
hope this helps ?? let me know how you get on good luck Dave.
Welly Posted - 11/05/2010 : 16:45:46
No no it doesn't cook them. You have to be carefull with fluffs as they will if you leave them for more than a few minutes. Rats and mice are ready in less than 5. In bags they float so not completely encased in heat. I do normally leave it to cool for a few minutes before i put them in. It does cool really quickly in a plastic tub unlike a coffee cup for example.
mischang Posted - 11/05/2010 : 13:51:33
but i thought ur not ment to "nearly cook " so to speak as they cant digest cooked meats ??? or do u just leave it in till its deforsted or do u keep topping it up with boiling hot ???
Welly Posted - 10/05/2010 : 22:26:01
quote:
Originally posted by mischang

quote:
Originally posted by Welly

I boil in the bag

you do what ?? plz explain

I have an old ice cream tub which i fill with boiling water. I then stick a mouse/rat in a sandwhich bag and defrost it and warming it all at the same time.
Never fails. Doesn't dry them out like hairdryers.
boze Posted - 10/05/2010 : 22:05:14
If that still doesnt work you may be offering too large a food item. How heavy is your snake and how heavy is the food? Should be about 10-15% of the snakes weight.

Whats your setup? Warm and cool end temps? Hides? Heat source? etc etc a couple of photos would speak a thousand words. Most feeding problems are down to husbandry :-) Also dont defrost using mega hot water as all youll get is a burst squishy mouse :-)

D
mischang Posted - 10/05/2010 : 22:00:39
quote:
Originally posted by Welly

I boil in the bag

you do what ?? plz explain
Welly Posted - 10/05/2010 : 21:41:52
I boil in the bag
spor Posted - 10/05/2010 : 21:36:48
give they hair dyer ago. it may be that its just not warm enough for it to prompt a feeding response.
harry01 Posted - 09/05/2010 : 10:51:47
That's great. Thanks a lot mate
mischang Posted - 09/05/2010 : 10:20:13
I always warm either place in a marg tub on a rad or hairdryer , some i use tongs for the strike feeders or place the snake where ur going to feed and wriggle it a bit then i drop the food about 6 inches away from them and normally get a strike , others who are shy and fussy eater i still try above each time and end up putting it in viv on a large stone away from aspen, hope that shed some light .
harry01 Posted - 09/05/2010 : 09:58:02
Ok, I'll give the hair drier a try, how do you offer your food?
Blackecho Posted - 09/05/2010 : 09:38:30
I always warm mine up, it improves the feeding response in my experience.
harry01 Posted - 09/05/2010 : 09:17:03
Also, how many people recommend. Using a hair dryer to warm the mouse up?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000