The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Food freshness

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chris100575 Posted - 24/05/2010 : 08:44:14
Princess is still not eating, and as Feather is now onto large mice I want to try offering her one of those to see if she can be tempted. Normally if she doesn't strike I'll leave the food in overnight and bin it in the morning.

My question is, if a mouse has been left in Princess' viv overnight would it still be OK to give it to Feather?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chris100575 Posted - 26/05/2010 : 15:03:24
That's not a bad idea Daz. This year I reckon Feather will overtake Princess size-wise and then she'll be able to have anything Princess doesn't eat.

Mischang: She struck it and dragged it into her cave. Normally she has small rats as anything bigger she refuses, so a large mouse is a fair bit smaller than she's used to. She was on mice when we got her last year and didn't start getting picky with food until she was onto rats.
mischang Posted - 26/05/2010 : 12:41:21
congrats bet your happy how did she take it " strike or left in hide , had you gone down a food size ??? questions and more questions lol reason i ask is my male Sid has only eaten 2 mice since i have had him he ate a rat pup on the 15 jan 2010 and wat i have given him .
dazb Posted - 26/05/2010 : 12:40:45
Congrats on her taking the mouse...

I offer mine around to different snakes if one doesnt take it, always offer your best feeders last. That way helps reduce waste.

In future, why dont you try leaving it in the cold end over nite, that way it will take longer to 'go off' and if it isnt taken by first thing in the morning take out and offer it to Feather.
chris100575 Posted - 26/05/2010 : 08:56:00
Princess ate the mouse! After seven months of fasting she has finally eaten! I don't think I'm going to leave the non-feeding club until she's re-established but she has at least got some food in her now.
chris100575 Posted - 24/05/2010 : 11:36:29
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

You could offer first thing in the morning, but I wouldn't leave it until the following afternoon.

Why don't you just defrost one and offer it to Princess first.

The problem with Princess is that she's unreliable as a strike feeder, sometimes she'll show no interest but will eat later on if the rat's left in. I think I probably need to go one of two ways here; give Princess her chance to strike and then either give the mouse to Feather straight away, or leave it for her overnight and then bin it.

I feel bad wasting the mice but, even if the risk is small, I don't want to feed Feather one that's past its best.

As for cross-species infection, they were kept in separate rooms for a couple of months when we first got Feather, although I know that boas can carry IBD with no apparent symptoms. However as there have been relatively few cases of IBD in the UK it was a calculated risk to move them in together. (Same room, not same viv!)

Blackecho Posted - 24/05/2010 : 10:52:56
Steph raises a valid point regarding cross-breed illnesses, however, I'm guessing that you'd know by now if the Boa had IBD, unless you have them in separate rooms and change clothes and shower between touching them.
mischang Posted - 24/05/2010 : 10:10:49
i know your not suppose too , but i have to admit i do it as long as they have no illness or any thing but your is to a diff breed so i dont know , B/E will prob know .
Blackecho Posted - 24/05/2010 : 10:09:29
You could offer first thing in the morning, but I wouldn't leave it until the following afternoon.

Why don't you just defrost one and offer it to Princess first.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000