The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Shall I try? Or is there no point?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
devilsmistress Posted - 01/06/2010 : 15:53:50
Well the rescue Python has had bad sheds since I got him. Before I got him it came of in hundreds of bits. The shed he had after I got him was in about 3 bits with stuck shed still, but over all a much better shed (I had provided a damp hide)
Well He is in blue at the moment, and currently in his damp hide again. ( he has realised there is more than just the one hide in there!!) Well a few weeks ago he had a bit of a wheeze, but that has now gone so im wondering if it was something to do with him going into shed after all???
Anyway Question is, Would it be worth giving him a bath to see if that helps him this time round? Or leave it till next time. (we are moving on thurday) He does seem to enjoy his baths!
Im just trying to basicly find ways of helping him shed better, But dont want to give him a bath if the stress of moving is likley to cause him to have a bad shed! We are only moving half a dozen roads along so should not be to bad for him!!

Any ideas??
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
devilsmistress Posted - 04/06/2010 : 22:57:32
Ok thanks guys! He made it quite easy during the move he was in his damp hide (which is a large margarine tub with a hole in it! ) so that went in the pillow case then back in the viv. He still had not shed.
It is stress that has caused the bad sheds (he was a rescue) he does not normally get retained eye caps, its usually bits stuck round his neck. So if this is ok, then I will leave him be as you have said. Never know he may suprise me with a clean shed!!

Thanks for the advice! x
Robert Posted - 02/06/2010 : 23:15:15
Yes I agree too as it will lessen the stress it sounds like that was the cause in the first place, so long as he doesn't have retained caps I wouldn't worry too much and a little bit of retained shed on the tail is not to much of a problem for a week or two, let him settle and then decide, try not to worry too much so long as his temps are ok and he is quiet and has a moist hide to go to then let him be
MissCat Posted - 02/06/2010 : 09:20:47
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

he has a moist hide and he had one last time but due to his poor living conditions before I got him, He still has a problem shedding, Just wondering if there was anything I could do to help him before we move. As I wanted to give him a week settle period but looks like he wont get that if he sheds bad again!, Or will it be ok to leave the shed on for anything up to a week?? (cos I dont like the thought of it!)

He *might* not have a bad shed, I reckon you should leave him be, if he does have a bad one, go for the damp pillow case as it will be less stressful for him. In theory you could leave it on for a week, but I certainly wouldn't want to (because I'm neurotic about it, i'm not basing that on any information), and not if it was retained eyecaps. I understand that leaving him be for a week once you've moved is the best thing for him but I think with the pillow case thing you'll be fine and you can always leave him for another week after than to get over the stress, if that makes sense?
devilsmistress Posted - 01/06/2010 : 23:29:48
he has a moist hide and he had one last time but due to his poor living conditions before I got him, He still has a problem shedding, Just wondering if there was anything I could do to help him before we move. As I wanted to give him a week settle period but looks like he wont get that if he sheds bad again!, Or will it be ok to leave the shed on for anything up to a week?? (cos I dont like the thought of it!)
Robert Posted - 01/06/2010 : 22:11:54
I agree with MissCat leave him and give him a moist hide and then decide if you need to or not
MissCat Posted - 01/06/2010 : 18:52:19
There's little point in bathing him while he is blue as the skin is no longer porous(sp?) just leave him for now as you have the damp hide in there, save a bath for after a shed if he needs help getting any stuck skin off. Or alternatively pop him on a damp pillow case for a couple of hours (after he's shed- if it's a poor one).
devilsmistress Posted - 01/06/2010 : 17:35:40
He wont shed before we move, We move this thursday, thats why I was wondering if it was worth it or onot? Feeding well Ill try him after he has shed as he fed the day I got him home, so not a fussy eater, Bit of a dust bin infact lol
mischang Posted - 01/06/2010 : 17:24:01
i think it wouldnt hurt to try and help him , bath him and he may shed be for you move and u might get a chance to feed him too b4 u move so then he can just hide for a while till all the hard work is done x x x

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000