The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 nervous about getting my first snake.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
boost-boy74 Posted - 08/06/2010 : 15:30:22
hi all,

i will be getting a royal in a few months - waiting for probally a normal 010. but im really nervous about handling him/her, is this normal? its my first snake, how fast are they as i would hate for him to wriggle out of my hands in my rep shed and go behind or under something? maybe i could handle over a 50l rub? am i just being paranoid? look forward to your replies - cheers simon
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boost-boy74 Posted - 11/06/2010 : 17:44:25
right, no worries - thanx again people
hodgie Posted - 10/06/2010 : 17:45:54
quote:
Originally posted by boost-boy74

thanks people - thats great info. the other question i have if the snake is wrapped round your arm, how do you get him off to put away in his rub?

I point their heads towards their hides, generally thats all the encouragement that they`ll need.
Blackecho Posted - 10/06/2010 : 13:22:41
They will generally let you unwind them slowly or you just have to wait
boost-boy74 Posted - 10/06/2010 : 11:58:01
thanks people - thats great info. the other question i have if the snake is wrapped round your arm, how do you get him off to put away in his rub?
spor Posted - 09/06/2010 : 00:35:06
well its all been said mostly. visit a rep shop or two and let them know you are thinking of getting a royal. if they have any in the store. ask if you can handle it. if its a good store they should have no objection and to be honest should expected to be asked. (never buy a snake from some one who does not allow to to handle and examine it first)

i had never handled or even touched a snake before only a couple of summers ago. now i have 9.

as all said they are mostly a docile snake. more often than not especially young snakes will just coil around your wrist for a while before moving anywhere so that should give you a second to get comfortable. sit low to ground or hold over self and hold close to your body. this way the snake will feel more secure and if it does fall it will not have far to go. don't let them get to close to your face until you are a lot more comfortable with them. have fun.
Robert Posted - 08/06/2010 : 20:11:36
As above they are generally very docile and slow moving be confident and gentle, always come from underneath and never over the top of the snakes head, they rarely bite and prefer to hide first, keep your handling to a minimum when you get your snake and let it settle until it is feeding well, don't handle after feeds for a couple of days and DO read the care sheet any other questions just ask, and as already said above - enjoy :)
mischang Posted - 08/06/2010 : 19:55:07
i was like that as well i really wanted one and had read up loads then i was scared to death in case i hurt it lol , if your worried handle sat on floor over the rub and remmeber you cant steer them just let them slide through your hands and if needed giude them towards where you want them to go or ur have a stiff stroppy snake , and most important thing of all enjoy .
matty18714 Posted - 08/06/2010 : 16:22:03
Dont worry about it. Generally, royals are slow moving snakes, they tend to sit there and stay still while being held.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000