The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 hide temperature

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
joshblee23 Posted - 10/06/2010 : 18:54:42
hey guys, im new here. expecting a baby girl next friday (royal python, that is. just been setting up that tank so its all nice and cosy for her
basically i set the faunarium up with the heat mat on one side.
i put the waterdish on the cool side with a plastic plant and have a hide on the warm side, all temps are fine, just under 30 celsius average temp.
...HOWEVER! i put a thermometer inside the hide (warm side) and left it a few hours? came back to find it had reached about 40 degrees!!
surely this would cook my snake!?
is this a normal hide temperature, if not any advice on how to lower it??

thankyou

fyi. the hide is a exo-terra medium hide
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blackecho Posted - 08/07/2010 : 18:45:14
Good aren't they
joshblee23 Posted - 08/07/2010 : 17:20:55
Finally got round to purchasing ye'olde Pulse Stat, and my god it works!! None of this faffing around with high and low temps, it just keeps it spot on! Didn't like the look of the price tag originally, especially since I've only had the Mat Stat a few weeks but thought that such steep temp changes cannot be good for snakey now can it?
Recently the Mat Stat stopped turning at all on unless I fiddled with it, then it would go up and drop straight back down!
joshblee23 Posted - 17/06/2010 : 21:36:02
Thanks for the advice guys. Just to let you know I've ditched the skull idea purely because we don't want snakey getting stuck now, do we? plus it would swamp my lil' faunarium so just want for a simple wooden tunnel-type-thing. Along with my medium exo-terra hide in the cold side.
Expecting my new arrival tomorrow. Was meant to get her two weeks ago but she wasn't ready (too young and not enough feeds, i saw it as a good thing as the shop takes care of its animals. but disappointed of course.) If all goes well then she should be safe and sound home tomorrow... pictures to follow SO EXCITED!!!!!!
heaton177 Posted - 16/06/2010 : 17:37:23
hello all, congrat josh on ur new snake :)

there is a metion in here about getting stuck well i have a story to tell lol.
tbefor i got my royal i had 2 beardies (long story) ended up gettin rid and got a snake like i originaly set out to do lol.
along the back of the viv at the top is a big vent from one end to the other and i used to have the clips in there from the uv light for the beardies, anyway one night i was watchin flame as he clmbed the little platic plant i had in the corner and he used to stretch right alon the back of the viv along the vent (was about a 5mm ledge) it always used to do this and i saw him put his head throught this hoop (for the uv light) and i was just thinking hes gunna get stuck so i watched him sliding thru the hoop ( i no where there hed goes there body will follow) but he was like 3 quarters of the way thru it and he just cuddnt move in the end n i had to try n squeeze him out of it n i was a bit woried just incase i hurt him but as soon as i got him out i took the clip off lol.

i no you think stuff will never happen but t does lol so if theres a chance they will do something just resolve the problem befor it comes a problem lolsaves injury and such.

the shoptold me some things and the guys and grls on here had the opposite answer and trust me these guys n girls on here no what there tlking about osme of the shops just want to make a sale lol.

sorry for the big essey lol

hope all goes well with ur new snake...
chris
spor Posted - 15/06/2010 : 22:45:55
just seen that you have just got a digital thermometer. that may have been the problem all along if you were using a dial one to mearsure temps. as BE said. hide in both sides. if you do decide to get a skull just keep a really good eye on your snake and its growth rate. I have seen a good few stories a pics of snakes being stuck in such things.
reptiledanny Posted - 15/06/2010 : 07:54:42
well, if i had nown this i would have bought a load more stuff, im going shopping again tonight so will get more
boze Posted - 14/06/2010 : 23:52:50
Aye the more things you can pack the tank out with the better!
Blackecho Posted - 14/06/2010 : 21:34:56
Don't trust some shops!

In the wild they slither into old rodent burrows, nice and tight and safe for them.
joshblee23 Posted - 14/06/2010 : 19:54:59
oh fantastic. i love cluttered too haha good ole' snake shopping, want to get a skull in there. just that the guy at the shop says they dont like clutter...
ok i will have a go. just got a digital thermometer so hoping for more luck!

thanks a lot
Blackecho Posted - 10/06/2010 : 21:43:40
You really ought to have a hide at both ends so that the snake has a choice of temperatures and can thermoregulate, plus, Royals love cluttered!

If it falls from just under 30 to 24, try cranking it up a couple of degrees to 32C so that it only drops to 26C.
joshblee23 Posted - 10/06/2010 : 21:29:10
the problem is that when the temp falls, if falls right down to like 23-24
i have a hide on the warm but some green on the cool as otherwise it would be too cluttered, thinking of moving the hide to a centre-ish location??
not yet but can in a couple of days.
Blackecho Posted - 10/06/2010 : 21:09:32
That's how mat stats work, they switch on until reaching a desired temperature and then drop down a few degrees before turning back on. They do the job, but a PP (pulse proportional) stat gives a much more consistent supply and temperature.

Have you got a hide on the cool side?

Any photos of your setup?
joshblee23 Posted - 10/06/2010 : 19:45:02
yeah i have a microclimate ministat 100, and it can heat the faunarium correctly but as soon as it hits about 30 degrees, it will turn off and not turn back on for ages?
cheers for the response.
matty18714 Posted - 10/06/2010 : 19:40:02
You will need to use a thermostat with 99% of heat sources. I would suggest you get a habistat pulse thermostat. A mat stat will do, however it is less accurate and you probably wont use it when your royal goes into a viv (as you will want to use bulb heating).

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000