The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Is it possible I've traumatised my snake?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AlannaJohan Posted - 17/06/2010 : 15:42:34
Ok, so I didn't think it would be long before I was posting on here with usual newbie questions - though searching old posts has helped with many of my innane questions - but this one is a bit more unusual.

Well first things first, let me introduce you to my Bruce as I've finally managed to get pics up:

So, as a few of you who read my intro post know, Bruce went into shed pretty much the day I got him. Which was fine by me as I wasn't planning to handle or feed him till he'd settled anyway, so I left him too it.
Now, he's been here well over a week now and while his first half shed like a dream within an hour, the second half just wasn't having it, as per this pic:

So I decided a bath was in order upon recommendation of a snake owning colleague. I used the v helpful sticky thread here as my guide, went in to his room (well, the room where his viv is, but you get what I mean) and he was squeezed tight into a rough ornament I put in their to help him rub his skin off on. Now, I took one look at him and I was convinced he was stuck; I just couldn't see how he would be able to turn around and get back out - hell I don't know how he managed to get up there in the first place. I tried tapping the back to unsettle and motivate him into moving, but he just seemed to move up further. Smart move, right, you can tell I'm a newbie? So I gently tried using gravity instead and tipped it upside down. At this point he tensed up as if trying to get into a ball (except this is an elongated space he's found, so essentially filled the enterance.
I won't lie, I panicked, got images of me having to saw him out etc. So, using the bath I'd just done him as an encourager, I carefully started trying to ease out the large part of his abdomen that was sticking out. After 5 minutes of this I felt movement - huzzah! But oh boy was he not making it easy for me, I finally got the bend out, if you will, so it looked like a snakey horseshoe rather than a lump, but he wanted back up there so bad (don't blame him - I'd be terrified too!!) But I kept at it, just winding him round my finger CM by CM, until eventually a grumpy snake plopped out onto my lap and then straight into the bath-basin I'd bought in for him.

Funnily enough I didn't think he would be much in the bathing/handling mood after that, so I got him almost straight back into his viv to go retreat (ornament removed, obviously!)

Now, my question is this - I am worried he might have caused himself some bruising, muscle damage, or even minor lacerations from the struggling, the being bent up, etc. Despite wanting to allow him to re-settle, do you guys think I should get him back out to check, or just leave him be? And if yes, what should I be looking for specifically - beyond blood or missing scales? Do snakes swell up or darken in colour with bruises?

I feel such a bad snake mummy now Any suggestions very welcome?
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AlannaJohan Posted - 25/07/2010 : 12:20:06
quote:
Originally posted by jhk2005

well if it's any consolation you're not alone in worrying like that ... i've kept snakes for almost 20yrs now and I had a moment like this bout 6 months ago ... Once he was loose it was 'bye-bye' ornament and hello nice disposable hides

Very glad to hear it happens to even the best of us. The ornament Bruce decided was worth squeezing into was removed quicker than a quick thing!
jhk2005 Posted - 22/07/2010 : 16:53:44
quote:
'I think he's stuck, what should I do?'

well if it's any consolation you're not alone in worrying like that...

i've kept snakes for almost 20yrs now and I had a moment like this bout 6 months ago - I bought a lovely 'rock plateau' for my year old king only to realise that 24hrs later he'd wedged himself INSIDE (!?!) thru the drainage holes... after much running round like a headless chicken and 2 days of his little head peeking in and out i managed to tempt him out with a fuzzy - sounds mean but i got him to strike and latch on and then gently coaxed him out (while attached to the mouse) before leaving him to eat. Once he was loose it was 'bye-bye' ornament and hello nice disposable hides
AlannaJohan Posted - 22/06/2010 : 17:55:35
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

you'll be over run with snakes before you know it they are addictive!!
glad bruce fed ok and you got all the shed off him, but dont worry about him getting into really small spaces, my smallest royal will curl up inside a kitchen roll tube with no problems at all and hes just under 18inches long (not sure on the weight though..)

Oh no! I best warn the other half in advance that we'll be converting our spare bedroom into a snake room, lol.
And thanks for the reassurance on the small space squeezing. I know my panic must seem silly, retrospectively, but I just couldn't see how he could physically remove himself. You live and learn, eh? There's a slight chance he may have forgiven me though, being as I am now giver of mice, lol.
HannahB Posted - 22/06/2010 : 15:08:41
you'll be over run with snakes before you know it they are addictive!!
glad bruce fed ok and you got all the shed off him, but dont worry about him getting into really small spaces, my smallest royal will curl up inside a kitchen roll tube with no problems at all and hes just under 18inches long (not sure on the weight though..)
AlannaJohan Posted - 22/06/2010 : 13:26:42
Thanks guys. Next quest will be handling for purely social purposes - but that's a way off yet.
quote:
Originally posted by chris100575
Nice dogs BTW, I love Malamutes.
Thank you! They're very much my main passion in life - mainly because its difficult not to let the wee buggers take over. Snakes are a new and welcome side pursuit; I have a bad feeling they might become an addiction too though, lol.
spor Posted - 21/06/2010 : 23:21:23
good to hear.
Blackecho Posted - 21/06/2010 : 12:53:38
Congrats.
chris100575 Posted - 21/06/2010 : 11:03:00
Congratulations Alanna! I was similarly overjoyed when Princess started eating again. Nice dogs BTW, I love Malamutes.
AlannaJohan Posted - 21/06/2010 : 10:51:11
And I am delighted to say I now have a squeaky clean, shiny and *slightly enlarged* Royal because my first feed was a complete success!!!
I did the wiggle with a pair of tongs thing first, no interest whatsoever, so decided to leave it for himto contemplate. Came back in 5 minutes later and he had it constricted and was making his way back to his hide. Didn't want to stress him by really obviously peering in, so left him to it. An hour later he was curled up to his water bowl with a nice obvious lump. I'm thrilled
spor Posted - 20/06/2010 : 21:28:43
good luck.
AlannaJohan Posted - 20/06/2010 : 09:19:18
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. Bruce seems fine and dandy again now I am pleased to say.
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I'm sure he'll be fine, did you get the skin off when you got him out of the bath?

quote:
Originally posted by chris100575

Did the bath work?

Bath worked a treat thank you, and I now have a squeaky clean, skin free and rather shiny Royal
Next challenge - feeding - wish me luck!
chris100575 Posted - 18/06/2010 : 08:50:55
I posted on here some months back about the difficulty I'd had trying to persuade Princess out of her log to take her to the vet for a check-up. I found as you did that they're buggers to get out of somewhere when they're hiding!

I'm sure Bruce will be OK, just keep an eye on him. As Hodgie said, if he was that upset he'd be hiding. Did the bath work?
Blackecho Posted - 17/06/2010 : 17:59:37
I'm sure he'll be fine, did you get the skin off when you got him out of the bath?
hodgie Posted - 17/06/2010 : 16:40:59
I would imagine that if he is really freaked out he`d be well and truely hiding.
AlannaJohan Posted - 17/06/2010 : 16:29:56
quote:
Originally posted by Welly

I wouldn't worry too much. They are pretty hardy. You'll know if there is a problem.
Thanks for the reassurance. He's come out his hide and is lying against the glass front at the moment. Certainly on a brief visual inspiection I can't see any obvious damage. I still feel so bad though. Wasn't what I intended for my quiet first two-three weeks!
Welly Posted - 17/06/2010 : 16:21:20
I wouldn't worry too much. They are pretty hardy. You'll know if there is a problem.
AlannaJohan Posted - 17/06/2010 : 16:20:41
As an additional thought, this is actually how I found him (excuse the quality, its a photo I sent to my other half from my phone in a 'I think he's stuck, what should I do?' moment). Please note that what appears to be a gap in the top left is actually where his head is squeezed - there must have been a few mm if that around him - and thats before he tensed up *sigh*

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000