The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 non feeder

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 19/06/2010 : 22:58:20
Need some advice on getting our royal to feed as shes not fed since we got her and we are a little concearned given her age (8 weeks)
So far we've tried all the techniques suggested in the sticky but still nothing
Today I tried her with some pinkies which I heated up with a hair dryer she took couple of strikes but did not contact with it then she went back into her hide.
I also tried braining and slitting the pinkie open to reveal the guts to see if it would tempt her.
We've also tried feeding her in a seperate smaller rub to see if she would show intrest but sadly none shown
Weve checked the temps on the cool and hot end of the rub both are ok.
Any advice greatly recieved
thanks
Nick

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
spor Posted - 22/06/2010 : 23:54:24
to be honest if you are being offered the help you should take it. don't let pride or stuborness get in the way.

when i first starting keeping snakes i had a none feeder hatchling, and i held off and held of thinking she will take it soon after 8 weeks or more she still had not eaten and i brought her back to were i got her from to see if he could get her started. now the person i got her from had been offering from week 3 to take her back.but my pride and the thought of wanting to acheive this my self stopped me. i didn't want to feel i had failed. eventually he had got her to take something but she died shortly after as it was just to late. although adults can go long periods with out food hatchling can not. this would be a great catch to learn from my mistake.

good luck. hopefully she will eat for you this week and you'll not have to worry any more.
hodgie Posted - 22/06/2010 : 22:40:33
quote:
I have spoke to the shop where she came from and they have said if needs be they will take her back and get her feeding for us

I`d stick with it ,you`ll get there, its always nerve wracking when you first start out. As you`ve already stated your Royal has tried striking, she wants to eat You need to see things from her prospective, "big giant waving a rat around" you`d hide aswell if you were alittle snake.
The pleasure you get when you see them feed successfully will make it all worth it, and dont forget you need to learn what makes your little Royal tick aswell.
n/a Posted - 22/06/2010 : 22:14:10
Yes the pinkies are fully defrosted when they are offered been keeping and eye on her she seems ok in herself venturing out into her rub and exploring.
I have spoke to the shop where she came from and they have said if needs be they will take her back and get her feeding for us
HannahB Posted - 22/06/2010 : 15:14:49
my little one used to and sometimes still does stike and miss, my mum has found (shes looking after him at the minute bless her) that if she leaves it on some kitchen towel next to the entrance over night that he tends to give in to temptation and just eats it in the night without having to strike at it
hodgie Posted - 21/06/2010 : 22:00:12
quote:

im not ntrying to point out the obvious. but are you sure you defrosted it enough, coz i think if you only heated it up with a hairdryer. and not defrosted it before hand. it will only be the surface of the skin what is warm not the pinkies insides if you get what i mean. i put mine in hot water for a bit and then change the water again until the rat is soft.

you may have already done this. but if she struck and then left it it might mean it is not properly defrosted.

there is alot more ppl on here who no what there doing mate its just a sugestion, im not trying to tell a granny how to suck eggs lol.

chris

my little spider used to be rubbish at strike feeding, would have 2 or 3 goes and would then get freaked out and hide. Can i suggest that the next time you try to feed her you put it closer to her nose she`ll have a better chance to strike, or you could just leave it near the entrance to her hide,
heaton177 Posted - 21/06/2010 : 17:45:08
quote:
Originally posted by toggsy

Today I tried her with some pinkies which I heated up with a hair dryer she took couple of strikes but did not contact with it then she went back into her hide.

im not ntrying to point out the obvious. but are you sure you defrosted it enough, coz i think if you only heated it up with a hairdryer. and not defrosted it before hand. it will only be the surface of the skin what is warm not the pinkies insides if you get what i mean. i put mine in hot water for a bit and then change the water again until the rat is soft.

you may have already done this. but if she struck and then left it it might mean it is not properly defrosted.

there is alot more ppl on here who no what there doing mate its just a sugestion, im not trying to tell a granny how to suck eggs lol.

chris
Blackecho Posted - 20/06/2010 : 08:14:44
The fact that she is striking but not taking would lead me to think that she is close, but maybe not settled enough yet, the answers to Spor's questions will help.
spor Posted - 20/06/2010 : 00:05:11
how long have you had her? have you tried leaving the food in the viv/rub over night. ? can you post up a pic of your set up and give temps at both ends? also if you can weigh her it would be a good idea that way you can keep track of her condition.
have you been handling her at all from you got her home?
weigh her.wait 5days attempt feed. leave it in over night if she doesn't take it. if it still there in morning remove it. weigh her again to see if she is losing weight. Do not handle her at all through that 5day period and only disturb her to change water.

if she is losing weight or still not feeding i would suggest getting in touch with the shop were you got her and asking if they can help. some hatchlings can be hard to start feeding. good luck.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000