The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 ashanti conversion from live to frozen thawed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
spor Posted - 20/06/2010 : 22:01:06
well i had intended in have a thread running to keep you all up to date on how the conversion from live to frozen thawed was going. For those un aware Ashanti has come over from the state in a shipment. The laws are a bit different over there but basically all snake feed on live prey over there as thats what the law allows. often it can be very difficult to convert them over to frozen/thawed prey as it can be difficult to get them on to rats when they have been eating mice so long.

any way. she had been out roaming her rub for hours today so i thought baring in mind that she has travelled a distance and would not have fed before that flight. so she may have been hungry. i left a rat fluff and and small mouse out to deforst . sevsral hours later i offered the rat a bit of interest but then she turned away. offered the mouse after a short blast with the hair dyer and after less than a minute, strict constrict and looking where to start. several minutes later gone.

so i guess thats the end of that . and what a relief as i was really expecting a long drawn out process and having to source live prey and go through the process from live to fresh kill to frozen thawed.

she is a lovely little girl weighing 134g
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
spor Posted - 19/08/2010 : 22:37:16
cheers BE. and think i have managed to get another one on to rats after nearly a year.
Blackecho Posted - 13/08/2010 : 19:16:06
Congrats.
reptiledanny Posted - 13/08/2010 : 18:40:08
thats great, its nice ot now that it was easy for u to convert from live to f/t, hopefully if anyone else gets a snake that is on live it will be just as easy for them
spor Posted - 13/08/2010 : 15:40:09
Hi all just thought i would stick a wee update on. Ashanti is now well converted and loves her grub ( so far) not only did they conversion to frozen thawed go perfectly she is now on rat fluffs and was very happy to switch from mice.
spor Posted - 27/06/2010 : 23:27:50
just a quick up date. Ashanti has taken her second frozen thawed feed now. however this time she did not strike alot of interest though so i left it in her rub and it was gone with in a few hours.
rainbowbridge Posted - 24/06/2010 : 16:17:08
Havent used a hair dryer,i defrost charlies food in hot water from the tap leave it for about 20mins and strike its gone he loves it warm.He was feeding on mice when i got him managed to get him on a rat fuz he took that so hoping tomorrow night he will take a small rat,keep my fingers,toes arms and legs crossed lol.
spor Posted - 23/06/2010 : 00:06:33
quote:
Originally posted by AlannaJohan

Thanks for that feedback. I'll bear that in mind for future feedings. At current I don't actually own a hair dryer (not a great girl, am I?) but I was going to invest in a blaster for the dogs - I'm sure that might do the trick

i,m sure it will. i just bought a small travel dyer from a large chain store beginning with B, don't want to be advertising.lol.
HannahB Posted - 22/06/2010 : 15:02:47
hope she continues to feed well on f/t food for you
AlannaJohan Posted - 22/06/2010 : 13:29:35
Thanks for that feedback. I'll bear that in mind for future feedings. At current I don't actually own a hair dryer (not a great girl, am I?) but I was going to invest in a blaster for the dogs - I'm sure that might do the trick
spor Posted - 21/06/2010 : 23:29:04
yeah hope it continues to.
Alanna, to be honest i didn't do anything different with her as i would when feeding my other snakes. i do find the hairdyer a better source for warming food items. as not only does it heat the prey well but it also assists by getting the scent of the food clearer. and then just a bit of a wiggle of the prey allow movement. all these things simulate a live food item in a basic way, so snakes hunter mood is switches on.
lee2308 Posted - 21/06/2010 : 11:30:26
that was easy then,hope it continues
AlannaJohan Posted - 21/06/2010 : 11:03:59
Congratulations. Sounds like the hair dryer really did the trick, so the heat source must be one of the primary motivaters in a live feeder?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000