The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 FEEDING IN A SEPERATE RUB

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
poopedmass Posted - 14/07/2010 : 10:43:59
ive been told by a python keeper to feed in another RUB. in order to keep the food response down. he says its horrible being nailed by an adult Ball when u go to pick it up.. the seperate rub gets its feeding differently.
Is this something that other royal owners do?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chris100575 Posted - 20/07/2010 : 08:49:57
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

No, as far as I'm concerned its a myth and you're more likely to get tagged moving a Royal in food mode from a feeding tub back to its viv afterwards.

Agreed, this is why the vast majority of people with big snakes feed them in the viv. When Feather's fully grown I wouldn't fancy trying to get her back into her house if she was still in feeding mode.
Robert Posted - 16/07/2010 : 22:44:41
I feed all mine in their vivs so as to avoid handling afterwards and weigh after they poop so I get as empty a weight as I can
poopedmass Posted - 16/07/2010 : 21:16:52
she's eating well. was advised to put her straight into a rub and leave untouched for the week. which i did. dodgey for the first feeding, but she's taking them well now.
Blackecho Posted - 15/07/2010 : 06:58:40
I'd also stop handling until you have got them eating too.
poopedmass Posted - 14/07/2010 : 23:04:20
cheers folks!! tryin to type this with one hand, as the other has a little Ball in it....

your comments are much appreciated. think ill leave her to feed in the rub, and start with good feeding habits..

rudy will also appreciate it...
theonlydarrenever Posted - 14/07/2010 : 19:45:54
i used to feed my royal in a tub when it was young but now it's older i just feed it in the viv. i've never been bitten at all by it and it's never gone for me either.

feeding response is usually wicked, but when it's not in feeding mode it's never bothered about attacking anything. i just pick it up with no problems :)
Nazzle Posted - 14/07/2010 : 18:24:49
I feed some in a separate RUB, it gives me chance to weigh, spot check or even clean out the viv. The pickier eaters get fed in their viv. I think the chances of getting tagged at feeding time for either are there, so I dont touch the snake after feeding, just put the RUB inside the viv and slide off the lid. With the ones I feed in the viv I make sure that I handle between feeds so they don't just associate me with dinner.
paulo Posted - 14/07/2010 : 14:40:11
I feed mine in a separate Rub, but I don't think it matters where you feed them, I know when Angel is really hungry though as I tend to let her have a little wonder before feeding and if she really wants her food she goes straight to her rub and curls up in a striking position.
AlannaJohan Posted - 14/07/2010 : 12:16:13
I was advised the opposite, that you want to cause as little stress / digestive issues as possible when feeding and so having to handle before / after eating to put in a separate rub goes against this principle. I feed in the viv and haven't had any problems handling. I would have thought as long as you're not waving your hand around in there during a feeding session then I don't think a royal would have much trouble distinguishing the scent of a yummy mouse/rat and the scent of your hand (especially if you're in the habit of washing with the same handwash before handling)
Blackecho Posted - 14/07/2010 : 11:34:38
No, as far as I'm concerned its a myth and you're more likely to get tagged moving a Royal in food mode from a feeding tub back to its viv afterwards.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000