The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Royal keeps striking at me

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
amurtiger Posted - 24/07/2010 : 22:36:55
The last couple of times I've fed my royal, it has striked at me when I go to get it out of its viv. Ive been feeding both my corn and royal in boxes and not in their vivs. Is it the time of day I'm feeding or is it I'm leaving it too long between feeds (14 days)?
My corn is 2 yrs old and wont strike at me, lets me get her out and put in box for feeding. Royal used to let me do the same (1 yr old), up until a fortnight ago, as when i reaching in to get it out and it striked my thumb, took me by suprise, 7 puncture marks and a lot of claret lol. Both my snakes are strike feeders and have always taken whats offered. Im starting to lose my confidence with my royal. If its any help it usually lets me hold and rolls in a ball til ready to climb and wrap my arm. Hope someone have some suggestions, I've always washed my hands before touching my snakes
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
heaton177 Posted - 01/08/2010 : 21:32:46
i have aspen in my viv and when i feed i put a folded up peice of newspaper outside the hide he is in so when he is strngling it he is less likely to get aspen but i have seen aspen on the food someime and there has never been any problems afterwards.
filardimarg2 Posted - 31/07/2010 : 12:15:22
I am having the same type of thing with my Sky, my female royal, she is being a right little madam.
I am feeding in the viv, i use newspaper as a substrat but have been told a small amount of aspen will be digested with no problem.
Marg.
AlannaJohan Posted - 29/07/2010 : 22:53:24
The shedding certainly could explain at least some of the stroppiness. Good luck for future days :)
amurtiger Posted - 29/07/2010 : 14:58:33
As of yesterday Kolo has now got blue eyes so is getting ready to shed. This may explain behaviour saturday just gone but not the fortnight before. Ive been able to handle without gloves without no striking, so as soon as shedding is finished will start new feeding regiume, see what happens. Thanks for everyones comments, we keep updated
AlannaJohan Posted - 27/07/2010 : 07:45:28
You need to do whatever is best for you and your snake. It's not harming your snake feeding in a separate viv, so if it's your preference try feeding every 7 days (with gloves for the sake of your fingers!) and see if he improves any when perhaps not so hungry.
If it's still causing you issues in a few weeks time, perhaps then is the time to try in viv feeding for a few weeks. Though not as visually pleasing you could temporarily swap him to paper as substrate as suggested just to minimise Kolo's risk of ingestion / compaction and see if there's any improvement in his striking over that period?
Good luck regardless - keep us informed on how it goes
amurtiger Posted - 26/07/2010 : 20:14:56
I think i might try gloves, really dont want risk kolo swallowing substrate, really dont want a trip to the vet unless absolute needed.
Will try feeding every 7 days, it wont be expecting that lol. The glass sliding door saved my thumb saturday, saturday fortnight before it got me lol, think id rather feed outside viv, at end of the day if i stop now, its won and will know it cam thro a strop when ever it likes lol
AlannaJohan Posted - 26/07/2010 : 18:32:56
I've recently moved from orchid bark to aspen as my substrate as I had heard its much less likely to compress in the snakes stomach should he swallow some. Lucky for me Bruce seems to enjoy rolling in the water with his food so it's quite difficult for him to swallow any!
hodgie Posted - 26/07/2010 : 18:26:29
I always use plain paper in my vivs, cheaper, more practical and easier to clean. Then you dont get these problems of feeding inside outside the viv.

Costs about £5 a roll from B&Q and will last around 1 year if you have 1 Royal. Fits a 2ft viv perfectly.
Nazzle Posted - 26/07/2010 : 17:06:41
Honestly, he'd drag it off the newspaper. He does acrobatics making sure he's "killed" it. I don't fancy puttin it in once he's realised newspaper=dinner time either.
reptiledanny Posted - 26/07/2010 : 17:03:21
best way to stop them picking up substrate is to put some newspaper down, that way he doesn't touch the bedding
Nazzle Posted - 26/07/2010 : 16:56:41
I'm going through the same thing with my yearling at the moment. He's fine apart from at dinner time. I'm feeding between 7 and 10 days at the moment, closer to 15% than 10%, and up until now he's been fine feeding outside of the viv. Now he can second guess me and knows when it's dinner time, I think he recognises the RUB. He doesn't seem to care whether he gets me (well OH, I'm not going near him in hunting mode) or the rat. Maybe it's grumpy teenager time! For those who do feed in the viv, how do you stop them swallowing substrate? Sev throws his food everywhere so I doubt it will stay on/in a feeding dish or even a box, he likes to make sure the dead rat really is dead before he starts to eat. I tried feeding him on the table just outside his viv this time, and he just dragged it back in with him. (sorry to hi-jack the thread)
reptiledanny Posted - 26/07/2010 : 16:05:40
quote:
Originally posted by boze

Aye the main reason people feed outside the viv is so you dont end up with lots of substrate stuck on the food then stuck in your snakes stomach :-)

D

^^
boze Posted - 26/07/2010 : 16:01:45
Aye the main reason people feed outside the viv is so you dont end up with lots of substrate stuck on the food then stuck in your snakes stomach :-)

D
amurtiger Posted - 26/07/2010 : 11:36:44
Thanks for all the advice, will feed Kolo next saturday in its viv and see what happens.
chris100575 Posted - 26/07/2010 : 09:39:10
I think AlannaJohan has pretty much covered it, the only thing I'd add is that the thing about not feeding a snake in it's viv is a total myth. Both of mine have always been fed in their vivs and neither have bitten me even my boa, and her feeding response is awesome.
amurtiger Posted - 25/07/2010 : 22:01:08
I take what you are saying but ive had her/him nearly a year now, its only striked twice and thats been last two feeds. Im gona try feeding weekly and in the viv see what happens. Today i checked on it, stroked body and didnt strike at me, will get it out in a few days see how it reacts, ive been handling regular anyway so i dont buy its scared of me, it thought i was dinner. It had a stressful shed bout 4 months ago, it let me bathe it and remove the shed from its head, if it was scared, i doubt very much it would of let me do it.
hodgie Posted - 25/07/2010 : 14:26:55
In my opinion its a complete waste of time feeding outside of the viv, it doesn`t make any sense. The snake lives in the viv thats its home thats where its in its comfort zone.
My little male Fire is very nervous, i`ve had him just over a month (previous owner had him in a see through plastic container with 1 hide)he`s lashed out 3 times, always missed though I only touch him when i clean out his viv and when he`s out i put him straight under a hide.
Your snake is striking because he`s scared its his way of saying please leave me alone. He`ll calm down as gets older and feels more secure.
amurtiger Posted - 25/07/2010 : 13:39:31
Thanks for that. Im in East Anglia, and yes its been real hot. Think you could be right bout being hungry. When 'it'(dont know sex yet) did bite me, i still fed and ate with no problem. A few days later, got it out and was happy to sit on my hand, never attempted to strike. Im concerned by feeding in its viv that it will always expect food. Its last shed was 25/5/10 and when i observed it eating last nite, no signs of anything yet. Since last shed it has eaten 5 small mice, striked first time. Just on the 10/7 (bit me) and 24/7 attempted to have me. Ive checked my records and it seems to be sheding every two months, usually around this time so will keep an eye, but like i say, ate with no problem last night and no signs of shed yet. Will get it out in a couple days time, will post how it goes.
AlannaJohan Posted - 25/07/2010 : 12:56:43
Ouch! Sorry to hear your Royals gone all PMS-Snakey on you. Not fun!
I'm a bit of a snake newbie, so I wouldn't take anything I say as gospel, but here's my thoughts on it. I'm sure somebody will come along and correct me.

I would say at 1 year old feeding once a week with a food item about the size of your Royal at the widest part of the body is about right. I don't think you're doing any harm by feeding every 2 weeks; your Royal will just gain weight more slowly and be hungrier closer to feeding time - so this *could* be contributing.

You do say you feed out of the viv. I wonder if perhaps your royal is starting to anticipate your opening the viv door with being taken out for feeding time and in its hunger and excitement gets all strikey. I feed in viv with tongs to avoid handling at all before or after dinner time. Not sure whether changing your routine and feeding in viv might help break the pattern.

Is it possible your Royal's getting close to shed? Any sign of pinkening on his belly or blueing of the eyes? This can make them more on edge. Or any sign of soreness or illness that could also have it feeling vulnerable? Might be worth donning some gloves and taking him out for an inspection just in case.

Also, I don't know where you're based, but if it applies maybe the recent hot weather has them feeling a bit grumpy?

Don't know if that helps, but I hope your Royal gets back to its usual self soon. Keep us updated.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000