The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 HELP!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
oscarsdad Posted - 06/08/2010 : 15:48:41
hi there,
we bought an 18month old male royal 5 weeks ago from reputable shop (have used shop before). we were told the snake was used to being handled every day and that he wouldn't need any settling in time, also told he was a regular strike feeder. he was sold as allegedly the owner had bought a breeding pair.
however, since bringing him back he hasn't eaten once, had a horrifically bad shed last week, now looks like he's going into another shed and seems to have what looks like gut rot. he is also drinking LOADS of water and has only had 1 poo in 5 weeks.
he's in a glass vivarium with water, his hide and aspen as substrate. the viv has been cleaned and disinfected regularly since we got him. the temperature is kept at a steady 31 degrees, the thermostat was preset for us by the lady in the shop.
we went back to the shop after a couple of weeks when he hadn't eaten, but unfortunatley the woman who sold him to us (the "manager") no longer works there as basically she had no idea what she was talking about! she sold us this particular snake which now turns out was nothing to do with the shop, so for us there is absolutely no come back at all (not that we knew that at the time)

am heading to vet this afternoon about his underbelly but would really appreciate any advice, info that anyone has. we have 2 corns and have never had a seconds worry with them but are seriously concerned about what we've got ourselves into with our royal.

please help

many thanks
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blackecho Posted - 06/08/2010 : 19:19:01
Any pics of your setup?

Glass vivariums are very open, you may need to cover 3 sides.

Any signs of mites?
reptiledanny Posted - 06/08/2010 : 17:54:28
well the scale rot would be due to humdity, i think, it may be a burn, and is healing that is why he shedding so much. the poo sounds ok, only pooing every 5 weeks, as this is how royals do it
sorry bout the unfortune from the shop, do they now where the woman has gone that i bout the royal from?? that could help
lee2308 Posted - 06/08/2010 : 16:05:04
what makes you think it has gut rot?or do mean the under side of his belly?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000