The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Pretty pleased with the new edition

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Snecklifter Posted - 10/08/2010 : 12:33:13
Picked up a new 10 week old Royal on Sunday from a local supplier, they had only had him two weeks but he had fed twice since they had him. I spent most of the day setting up the viv on Saturday and found that the heat mat i had bought wasn't quite doing the trick so use it in conjunction with a guarded red bulb, mat is on a thermostat and the bulb is on a timer and comes on during daylight hours. With the combination of the two, there is a temperature gradient but it is quite high - 28 - 34/5 degrees during the day. I was concerned that this might be too hot but when we got him home he spent half and hour exploring and then hid until night time.

Yesterday, he was due a feed but i did not have high expectations after reading on here about all the trouble people seem to have with their snakes not feeding. He went for fuzzy first time, striking confidently and you can't imagine how pleased I am.

Clearly the higher than recommended temperatures are not affecting him at all, nor has the move, he seems very happy, if a little timid. Do you reckon i should make an effort to reduce the daytime temperatures, or leave them be?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AlannaJohan Posted - 11/08/2010 : 18:44:34
Just to answer your last question Roly - I would agree that, yes, while not ideal in terms of size and not particularly beneficial to his early growth, it won't do him any major harm either. You could always try feeding him two at a time which is what I did when I moved from mice to rats but had some micies left to use up
Snecklifter Posted - 11/08/2010 : 08:50:37
Thankyou for explaining, I will take measures which I hope will drop the daytime temp by a degree or two, it seems to be a juggling act.

Your points regarding feeding also noted, I do have a small stock of fuzzies - would I be right in saying that although not the ideal prey item in this case, if I feed him one every 5 days, he will not suffer any adverse effects, as Royals can go without food for long periods, so some food regularly would be acceptable?
Blackecho Posted - 10/08/2010 : 18:19:32
Through lots of reading, experience, talking and listening to other more experienced owners and breeders.

Ignore the mouth for choosing a prey item, they are designed to stretch, they have elastic jaws. A hatchling Royal can take a small adult mouse or even better, a rat pup.

Google is your friend.
Snecklifter Posted - 10/08/2010 : 16:05:32
The care sheet on this very website states that hatchlings can be fed one fluffy mouse every 5-10 days. He's now about 10 weeks old but the fluffy was as wide as his mouth with a small stretch. I've no doubt that it could take a small mouse if required, but I would guess feeding him a fluffy a week up until he sheds wont hurt him. after that, I will move him up to adult mice or rat pups.

Not jumping down anybody's throat, the advice is welcome, if the reasoning behind it is explained.
reptiledanny Posted - 10/08/2010 : 15:53:21
quote:
Originally posted by Roly

Actually, you made an unsubstantiated claim that high temperatures cause neurological problems over time, I merely asked you to substantiate that claim, if you can, you ought to don't you think?

Are you also willing to elaborate on your claim that a fuzzy mouse is not sufficient for a Royal?

the fuzzy mouse is to small, my baby is on small mice and takes them easily, so i would move him up to small mice or rat pups, depending on what u can get, thats all, no need to jump down be throat for making a statement
i dont have any links to the neurilogical problem, but i now this can happen
Snecklifter Posted - 10/08/2010 : 15:19:54
Actually, you made an unsubstantiated claim that high temperatures cause neurological problems over time, I merely asked you to substantiate that claim, if you can, you ought to don't you think?

Are you also willing to elaborate on your claim that a fuzzy mouse is not sufficient for a Royal?
Blackecho Posted - 10/08/2010 : 14:14:26
You know from your first post what the recommended temperatures are and asked for advice, I gave you an answer as to how to correct it. Your call whether you listen or not.

I would also add that a fuzzy mouse is not sufficient for a Royal Python.
Snecklifter Posted - 10/08/2010 : 13:30:50
Neurological effects?

Like what? has there studies been done on this or is it just assumption? links to studies?

I think i'll keep the heat mat, but just reduce the daytime temperature setting so that the lamp assumes the majority of the heating burden, on its own, the lamp i have would not be sufficient. The mat is perfect for night time temperatures on its own.
Blackecho Posted - 10/08/2010 : 13:25:24
Over a period of time high temperatures can cause neurological affects.

Personally I'd ditch the heat mat and put the bulb on 24/7 on a dimming thermostat.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000