The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Feeding Update

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jht88 Posted - 10/08/2010 : 22:39:20
Have been off a couple of weeks but thought I'd update on Nelson's feeding.

I've upped his food size from rat pups to small mice he was none to happy at first but took it in the end, then last week (Tuesday) struck and took it easy, but then went into hiding in his hot hide I thought to digest his meal, but he never really came out much, when he's usually fairly active around 10/11pm.

So it came to sunday's feed and no strike this time he did come out and take a look but then just when back into his hide.

Is this normal with the food size change.

I'm not too worried, anyone whose read my previous posts will know that Nelson was only 52g when I got his at the beginning of July (supposed to be 16 weeks old) weighing him last week the day before his feed, he was upto 75g.
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jht88 Posted - 16/08/2010 : 21:32:55
Thanks for the replies. At the mo he's on every 5 days feed suppose it'll be ok when he goes on to weekly feeds cos I get Friday and Saturday off so can feed then anytime.
mischang Posted - 16/08/2010 : 20:55:20
as above that same as me i like to watch i find it brillant to watch how they move never gets old but big mama will only eat in complete dark ness and i mean black so i have only seen her eat once when she was eating a ginea pig and was banging it against some wood when she had a R.I
reptiledanny Posted - 16/08/2010 : 19:11:02
quote:
Originally posted by Breezy Breslin

i always feed mine around 12 - 2am and mine seems to be ok

wow, u must stay up late, i used ot feed bullet around 11 before i went to bed, but he started taking ages to eat, taking up to an hour sometimes, so i am now starting feeding around 9 lol
Breezy Breslin Posted - 16/08/2010 : 19:01:59
i always feed mine around 12 - 2am and mine seems to be ok
boze Posted - 16/08/2010 : 16:46:41
I always feed Sal pretty late, at least 11pm. Theyre nocturnal so youll probably get a better feeding response the later you feed :-)

D
jht88 Posted - 16/08/2010 : 15:45:18
I managed to get the last little bit of shed off Nelson's tail, but I had to put him in the bath for a while to do this. Which he didn't like to to much.

He can swim well though, I only put a little bit of water in just enough to make sure his tail was covered wherever he disided to go in the bath.

In 2 weeks my work times are changing it means I'll not finish till 12.30 at night and should be home by 1.00am is that too late to feeding Nelson or should I try before I go to work at at 2pm.

jht88 Posted - 14/08/2010 : 19:38:46
Tell me about it, in June last year I bought a little corn snake and joined Reptile Forum UK. I was told then it wouldn't end there. Now in little over a year I have the corn, a beardie and a royal. And yesterday I was looking at a black rat snake and I've been reading up on Chinese water dragons.
n/a Posted - 14/08/2010 : 18:40:30
LOL! Famous last words ...
jht88 Posted - 14/08/2010 : 18:11:20
Thank you for the vote of confidence. I understand that royals are classed as a beginners snake but I was starting to doubt myself a bit, but I'm loving it though so much that I'm considering going to Doncaster, just for a look mind.
mischang Posted - 14/08/2010 : 15:43:51
well wat ever ur doing its seems to be keeping him growing steady and happy
jht88 Posted - 14/08/2010 : 11:10:55
Thank you, will do
Blackecho Posted - 14/08/2010 : 10:45:41
Leave him until tomorrow.
jht88 Posted - 14/08/2010 : 10:41:05
Got a bit of a shock this morning when changing Nelson's water, he had shed. I thought he was little dull but not too much.

There is a little bit left on his tail, but he aslo fedlast night so I'm not sure whether to mess with him too much today or not or leave it till after work tomorrow night to help him through a warm damp towel any advice would be great.
jht88 Posted - 13/08/2010 : 21:45:50
Weighed Nelson Yesterday and he was upto 90g and he feed tonight as well, all by himself (eventually).

So now I hope that the feeding is heading the right way, his weights going up.

Just waiting for him to shed now, thought he would've done by now he's been here since the beginning of June.
jht88 Posted - 11/08/2010 : 00:49:53
To be honest I've never weighed them, but with him not taking his second feed of the small mouse I think I'll go back to them. I'll weigh them and check though.

They didn't look very big, and never really showed on Nelson that he'd ate anything but he was putting weight on so they must have been doing the job.

I only tried the mouse because my corn is on them and they defrosted before I got them home so I thought give it a try and he took it.

Blackecho Posted - 10/08/2010 : 23:36:52
It sounds just about right

I would have thought he'd still be ok on Rat Pups, but maybe they're really small at your shop compared to mine or something.

Rat fuzzies (in my LRS) are about 15g.
jht88 Posted - 10/08/2010 : 23:05:37
Thanks for the reply, I've made a note of what you said to try and I'll call local shop in the morning, in your opinion is Nelson's weight gain enough, he's put on 50% more weight in the 8 weeks I've had him.

Thanks Again. Blackecho
Blackecho Posted - 10/08/2010 : 22:58:57
It might just be the difference in food types, can you not get your hands on some larger rat pups or rat fuzzies/fluffs/chubs?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000