The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Vivarium - Morning Condensation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Snecklifter Posted - 24/08/2010 : 10:11:26
I let the temperature drop by about 4 degrees at night and therein temperature is regulated by a heat mat on a thermostat. Every morning, there is a good 'clouding' of condensation on the inside of the glass doors. The temperatures and humidity are fine but wondered if condensation was a normal occurence.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Snecklifter Posted - 25/08/2010 : 09:32:13
Well, had a bit of a shuffle around last night but have had to keep the water in the hot side for now as the space available means I can't move his water until i get a smaller water dish for him. He was out for a good hour last night and seems to enjoy being handled, extremely inquisitive, when we put him back in, he was very active exploring and eventually settled in his hot hide (for the first time). He was still there this morning. The humidity is still around 70%, reducing as the temperature rises during the day. He seems happy enough, is feeding and remains alert and inquisitive if handled. Talked to another Royal owner yesterday and they've had theirs for a year now, they get condensation every morning on the inside of the glass and the humidity in their viv is less than mine - so can only assume that the temperature differential between the outside and inside at night is the cause. The humidity would be irrelevant unless it was 0% as any moisture will condense given a dew point. Given that advice available suggests that humidity should be as high as 70% or as low as 50% (depending on who you listen to) then I don't think i'll get too excited about it, as the temperature gradient is about right.
boze Posted - 25/08/2010 : 03:20:11
quote:
Originally posted by Roly

From Boze "Thats a bit cold to be honest. The thermometer probe should be in the same place as the thermostat probe, ignore what the thermostat says its set at and adjust it a little at a time (it takes a wee while for the hat to heat up accordingly) until the thermometer reads about 33 degrees."

Thing is though that he seems to refer the cooler temperatures anyway, i've only very rarely seen him in the hot side, and never uses the hot hide.

Remember hes most active when hes sure theres nobody about, so he probably spends a lot of time at night moving around :-)

D
Snecklifter Posted - 24/08/2010 : 15:22:50
From Boze "Thats a bit cold to be honest. The thermometer probe should be in the same place as the thermostat probe, ignore what the thermostat says its set at and adjust it a little at a time (it takes a wee while for the hat to heat up accordingly) until the thermometer reads about 33 degrees."

Thing is though that he seems to refer the cooler temperatures anyway, i've only very rarely seen him in the hot side, and never uses the hot hide.
Snecklifter Posted - 24/08/2010 : 15:20:04
As usual, there seems to be conflicting information, some say to drop the temperature at night, some don't. I do, because lets face it, it doesn't matter where you are in the world (even the tropics) the temperature does drop at night and i'm simulating as realistic environment as possible. I would say that if your snake doesn't seem to mind (is eating fine etc) then carry on as you are.
fiestastlou Posted - 24/08/2010 : 15:08:13
iv always dropped the temps at night a few degrees as advised by the shop we got him from? is this not needed then? as we manually change the stat to do this, is it best just keeping the night temp the same as day temp around 88f?
boze Posted - 24/08/2010 : 15:05:07
Thats a bit cold to be honest. The thermometer probe should be in the same place as the thermostat probe, ignore what the thermostat says its set at and adjust it a little at a time (it takes a wee while for the hat to heat up accordingly) until the thermometer reads about 33 degrees.

There isnt really any need to drop temps at night, especially if you dont know exactly how low it is dropping, youre much better making sure the hot end is as consistent unless you have a special thermostat with a night eye to control the night time drop in temps.

Combining the water bowl move to the cold end and the proper setting of the stat should sort out your condensation problems, although it does sound like you could do with a few more air holes. Could you get any pictures of the set up and vents? It would help a lot :-)

cheers

D
Snecklifter Posted - 24/08/2010 : 14:32:16
Actually, I don't know how cold its getting at night - the mat thermostat is set to 29 degrees, but of course, some of this heat will be absorbed by the water bowl and his hot hide and therefore the temps could be dropping considerably lower...must set my alarm and find out....In all other respects, the environment seems fine, temp range during the day of 26/27 to 29.8. It seems that the humidity level might need tinkering with, but we seem to be about on the money.

Actually, what i'll do is move his water to the middle and that should do the trick. Available information is contradictory, varying humidity ranges of between 50 and 70% are recommended on different info sites.
fiestastlou Posted - 24/08/2010 : 14:05:09
move the water bowl to the cool end :)
boze Posted - 24/08/2010 : 14:04:49
Move the water bowl to the cool end/middle and that should hopefully sort it.

When you say the temps drop by 4 degrees at night, what are they dropping to?

cheers

D
Snecklifter Posted - 24/08/2010 : 13:51:14
Its measured from a digital combination humidity/temp probe, located at the hot end of the viv. Using coarse beech chip substrate over kitchen towel. Water bowl might be a bit big and this is in the hot end too. Two vents, one each side at the top. The humidity reading is steady around 65 daytime -70% at night - but, he is due to shed.
Blackecho Posted - 24/08/2010 : 12:45:32
If you are getting condensation then your humidity is too high. How are you measuring it? - Digital ones are a bit iffy, dial ones may as well be chucked in the bin. Whereabouts in the viv have you got the hydrometer probe? What substrate are you using? How big is your water bowl and where is it placed? How many vents have you got and what size are they?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000