The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Outside the viv & Handling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kelfezond Posted - 27/08/2010 : 00:14:37
Hey everyone, just a few questions

Is it okay to let my royal python outside of his viv on occasions, such as when I am cleaning his cage or during handling sessions - I realize its probably not the best idea when he's small and more capable of sneaking away from me and into the floorboards or whatever but when he's a little bigger or is it best to just keep him in containment at all times?

Also, I'm wondering what the ideal amount of handling is, I don't want to overdo it and stress the Python out by keeping him with me too much but don't want to never get to hold him. Is there is a certain amount of time he can be out for or a certain amount of times he can be with me a week etc. I realize not to handle him after feeding or while he's shedding. Not sure if this would depend on the personality of the snake or if there is a health-related answer.

Thanks for the help in advanced
-Kelfezond
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fjfenton Posted - 13/09/2010 : 20:53:08
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Sounds like Kaa from the jungle book, wasn't he always putting people to sleep? haha

haha yeah...dodgy eyes!
mischang Posted - 12/09/2010 : 19:15:48
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Sounds like Kaa from the jungle book, wasn't he always putting people to sleep? haha

very good lol
Kelfezond Posted - 12/09/2010 : 11:01:45
n/a Posted - 12/09/2010 : 10:59:54
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

I handle mine somewhere around once a week to once a fortnight (unless in shed/been fed). I'll either pop little ones in a rub/pocket/down my top while cleaning out or big ones on the floor/sofa.
Mine are fed in the viv also, but then they are kept on newspaper.

Tip for you....If you get them out when you are on the bed...don't fall asleep accidentally....lol *blush*

LOL - oh dear, did snakey lull you into a false sense of security? They are crafty little gits!
Kelfezond Posted - 12/09/2010 : 10:11:25
haha crazy. I'm always so paranoid about letting her out my grip incase she escapes and I can't find her, will be better when she's a bit bigger and can no longer fit in awkward places. :)
MissCat Posted - 12/09/2010 : 08:58:30
I handle mine somewhere around once a week to once a fortnight (unless in shed/been fed). I'll either pop little ones in a rub/pocket/down my top while cleaning out or big ones on the floor/sofa.
Mine are fed in the viv also, but then they are kept on newspaper.

Tip for you....If you get them out when you are on the bed...don't fall asleep accidentally....lol *blush*
fjfenton Posted - 12/09/2010 : 07:04:42
I handle mine 2-3 times a week...with the exception of when they are in shed and for the couple of days following a feed. When I have them out I keep 'hold'of them rather than let them free roam
Blackecho Posted - 11/09/2010 : 08:07:03
Sounds like she's just a bit nervous and will probably overcome it in time.
n/a Posted - 10/09/2010 : 23:54:34
Hi, as the owner of a new royal myself - this is something they do do, in my experience ... I've had to learn to move ve..ee...ee.rrry slowly near my Shahi - the tiniest unconsidered movement of my hand and he winces. But for all that, he's settling in well, and usually I call him my BOLD python!

I think they are very forgiving - no need to worry about a small mistake if basic trust and respect is established and we're always trying for that ...good luck to us all. And snakeys.
Kelfezond Posted - 10/09/2010 : 22:09:03
Gave Valhalla a quick handle today while my father installed her light guard for me, went well all things considered.

I'm a little curious as to her behaviour though as she'll often seem rather startled by me and quickly coil her neck up as if she's going to strike, she hasn't struck for me so I'm guessing it's something else?
Fear maybe?

Will regular handling sessions get her used to me and stop her being scared or is it just in her personality?
prozacbear Posted - 01/09/2010 : 17:01:03
quote:
Originally posted by Jody McGrath

That is awesome prozacbear, mine loves coming out and exploring. I handle him most days and he feeds fine. I guess it does really depend on the snake, mine is so friendly it's unbelievable. He won my girlfriend round instantly, which is a bonus. He even like being handled in shed, had his second shed last week, absolutely perfect, unlike the first time, when I had to soak him and help him a lot.

Very proud of him and his shiny new scales. Gonna feed him in a bit.

Now, all I need to do is convince the O/H that he needs a nice girlfriend.

I feel quite guilty if I dont have time to give Guybrush his regular run around. I know someone who stopped handling his royal as much as he was previously and she stopped eating, after trying a few various methods to get her to feed he went back to regular handling, then she suddenly started feeding again.
chris100575 Posted - 01/09/2010 : 10:38:04
As above, both of mine are on aspen and get fed in their vivs.
Blackecho Posted - 28/08/2010 : 12:01:59
I feed all mine in the viv, less hassle, but depends on the substrate you're using as to whether its a risk or not.
fiestastlou Posted - 28/08/2010 : 10:15:12
alot of ppl feed outside as it stops them ingesting any substrate, we used to just use another rub with some kitchen rolll in, but some just use the side with abit of kitchen roll, as long as your gentle when u put it back in then leave it for 2 days to digest its food then u shouldnt have any problems.
Kelfezond Posted - 28/08/2010 : 09:31:49
Yeah she seemed okay for the chap in the shop but I guess he knows what he was doing, didn't seem too bothered about being picked up. I pick her up at 11:00 today so I'll see when I move her from her box to the viv how she reacts to me, might be a bit of a stressful day for her though so guess I won't really know what shes like until next week when I can handle her okay.

Thanks for all the replies and advice, feel a lot more ready to take care of her now than last week when this was all just an idea, happened all a bit quickly- must have spent about an hour in the shop asking the man questions about her, he was sad to see her leave

Kelfezond

Edit: Discovered another question!

She's not due to feed for another week so no urgency to answer this right away- but I've read that it's a good idea to feed the python outside of her vivarium, where is a suitable place to do this? Or any surface or do I need a clean and temperature appropriate box for her?
Also I know you cannot handle them before or after feeding, would I be being a bit too strictly following that rule if I was stupid enough to say "Don't I need to handle her to get her out and in the viv for feed time?"
STICKS Posted - 28/08/2010 : 08:20:55
Hi there your royal because of the treatments for the burns maybe silly tame or not you will soon find out but normaly about 15 20 mins.
Jody McGrath Posted - 27/08/2010 : 23:57:06
That is awesome prozacbear, mine loves coming out and exploring. I handle him most days and he feeds fine. I guess it does really depend on the snake, mine is so friendly it's unbelievable. He won my girlfriend round instantly, which is a bonus. He even like being handled in shed, had his second shed last week, absolutely perfect, unlike the first time, when I had to soak him and help him a lot.

Very proud of him and his shiny new scales. Gonna feed him in a bit.

Now, all I need to do is convince the O/H that he needs a nice girlfriend.
prozacbear Posted - 27/08/2010 : 21:18:49
Hi
I get Guybrush out about 5 times a week. As i walk past the viv he will often come out of his cave and start watching me and so I get him out so he can have a look around. We also have developed a strange habit that came about by accident. If i make up a half full washing up bowl of warm water and put it on the sofa, Guybrush will on most occasions see it and of his own free will dive in. He will then sit in his bowl next to me on the sofa until his water gets cold then come out and dry himself on my trousers
heaton177 Posted - 27/08/2010 : 17:00:15
i handle mine around twice a week never handle him the day befor feeding and the day after. but i handle him at least twice a week.

when i clean my viv out i leave him on my bed but you realy need to keep an eye on him/her cause they are very good at gooing somewhere, once i got him out and i was on the fne and turned around again and he was tightly curled behind the radiator and in the end i had to take it of to get him out and that wasnt easy as he decided to get some of his body in the littlecrack in the back of it and tense. lucky the radiator wasnt on cause it would have seriosly burnt him.
Kelfezond Posted - 27/08/2010 : 10:05:16
quote:
[i]I cheat when it comes to cleanin the viv, i get my hub to do it! ;)

Wonderful idea, might have to persuade my girlfriend that she'll have to do the cleaning since she's scared of the snake *Evil laugh!*

Thanks for all the replies people been lots of help! I'm off out today go find the perfect vivarium so i'll keep you all updated on my progress :)

Kelfezond

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000