The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Viv Temp

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kelfezond Posted - 28/08/2010 : 16:13:50
I'm probably obsessing abit here since this is my first royal but I've had my habistat dimming thermostat hooked up to the heatmat and set to about 30c. It all works fine and the thermometer inside reads correct at about 30c, but when I switch the light on (red 75watt) it gets much hotter inside and reads temps of 40c+ the Habistat thermostat "heat light" turns itself off but the temperature doesn't seem to lower. I might just be being too impatient and the temp might drop itself, any advice? Ideally I would like the red light on in the viv at night, don't mind it off in the daylight though.

The Viv is a small one for the moment, about 27x15 The sensor for my Habistat is set in the viv halfway up the back wall on the hot side of the viv, above the mat and below the light. The thermometer is set in the same place.

Thanks for any advice

Kelfezond

P.S: Sorry for so many posts
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blackecho Posted - 08/09/2010 : 19:13:57
She may just be fussy but I'm sure she'll be fine.
Kelfezond Posted - 08/09/2010 : 15:01:53
No they're not, the warm side one is a little smaller, but the cooler one has a bunch of vines and leaves over it.
Blackecho Posted - 08/09/2010 : 13:58:53
If the temps are right then she'll be fine.

Are the hides identical? - She may feel more safe under one than the other if not.
Kelfezond Posted - 08/09/2010 : 11:13:47
Valhalla is becoming a little braver with moving around her Viv now (I'm also getting her guard installed today :D Hooray!)

However she is still only ever staying in the cool side, last time I took her out I introduced her to the warm side and she went under the hide but a few hours later she went straight back to the cold side.

Is it worth me turning down the temp a little to see if she'll start moving between the two or is she okay as is?
Kelfezond Posted - 02/09/2010 : 12:20:46
Yeah it is a bit rediculas how much it was out by. I'm going to have to play around with it until I find what temperature is correct then I can work out how much it's out by. No wonder she was always in the cool side might as well have stuck her in an oven >.<
Blackecho Posted - 02/09/2010 : 12:02:02
Those dial thermometers should be banned!
Kelfezond Posted - 02/09/2010 : 11:43:22
Thermometer came today, just set it up on the substrate by her warmest hide, was reading about 31c with the mat directly into the plug so im guessing when the mats on the thermostat even though the thermometer on the wall of her viv doesn't reach above 20c im guessing the mat actually is and therefor the substrate on her warm hide also is.

Soon as I get my light guard hopefully next week I'll swicth it all around so that it's ran by the light bulb.
Blackecho Posted - 31/08/2010 : 15:34:00
Might be too hot for her or she may just prefer the cooler temps.
Kelfezond Posted - 31/08/2010 : 15:09:01
Do we have any idea why she is always in the coldest point of her cage, furthest from the light bulb?

Don't think she's been on the warm side of her viv since I got her.
Blackecho Posted - 30/08/2010 : 23:28:08
Won't be long
Kelfezond Posted - 30/08/2010 : 19:16:37
Then we are now sorted :D

Just need to wait for that chap to get back from his holiday for the bulb guard and wait for that new thermometer to get here in the post :D
Blackecho Posted - 30/08/2010 : 18:44:01
Bulb, Guard, Thermostat, Thermometer, 2 hides, water bowl, sorted
Kelfezond Posted - 30/08/2010 : 17:30:04
Just paid for the one you linked me, will let you all know when its here.

Was at work for about 9 hours today, got back and checked in on her and the thermometer is at 20c, thermostat is set to 30 still and the heat light (on the thermostat to say how much power the mats getting) is lit full.

Although I have noticed she isn't sitting near or on the mat, she's on the cool side of the viv all the time, moves place a few times but always on the cool side. Could this be because of the time she got burnt or is she just a snake who likes it cool?

PS. anything else you can think that I could need? might as well buy it all now, was foolish to expect that when the man in the store said "It'll have everything she needs" I believed him xP
Blackecho Posted - 30/08/2010 : 08:39:05
Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-LCD-Fish-Aquarium-Tank-Water-Thermometer-UK-/220638408696?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish
Blackecho Posted - 30/08/2010 : 08:25:32
Go to ebay and search for 'digital aquarium thermometer', you can pick them up for £3 to £4. Then as above, have the probe on the substrate.
Kelfezond Posted - 30/08/2010 : 07:09:53
I'll just use the mat for the moment, seems to be about 4 degrees too cold but if she was that fussed can't see why she's always on the cool side of the viv. Don't really want to disturb her too much for a while anyway I've been in and out of the viv for the last 2 days trying to fix it, want her to settle in now. :)
boze Posted - 30/08/2010 : 06:36:04
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Substrate has now been thinned out to about half inch :)

I'll have to move the sensor and thermometer another time as I had to drill a hole in the back of the viv and don't really want a big gaping hole there once I move it.

Well you can have an extra hole in the viv or the chance of a burnt snake....

I know what I'd choose :-)

D
Kelfezond Posted - 29/08/2010 : 22:57:34
Substrate has now been thinned out to about half inch :)

I'll have to move the sensor and thermometer another time as I had to drill a hole in the back of the viv and don't really want a big gaping hole there once I move it.
boze Posted - 29/08/2010 : 22:46:08
Plus the dial thermometers can be up to 10 degrees out...

You really want the thermometer to be in the hottest place possible that your snake can get to, which is directly on top of the heat mat (as they can move the substrate off no problem to get to the heat). Grab a digital thermometer and put the thermometer probe in the same place as the thermostat probe on the heat mat and adjust according to the thermometer reading until you reach the temps required.

As mentioned its probably a good idea to thin out the substrate a bit too, only has to be half an inch thick or so :-)

D
Kelfezond Posted - 29/08/2010 : 22:24:21
Don't have any lino but will thin out the substrate and try again, fingers crossed :D

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000