The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Still trying for first feed, opinions needed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RusteDowg Posted - 01/09/2010 : 12:22:21
Right after Tubs didnt eat his first meal last week i have not handled him and not offered anymore food.
Will try again this evening but wanted to just see what you guys thought about my tactics to get him to eat!
One thing i have noticed that since he hasn't been handled he has become slightly less active, he still comes out of his hide in the evening but for nowhere near as long.
This was my game plan anyway.
First off i want to keep things as simple as possible and also try new things each time to crack what it is i need to do so if he doesnt feed this time i will try the vibration tactic to get his digestive system moving but this time i was thinking of this...
...i will heat up the fuzzie for 10-15 mins in very hot but not boiling water, i wil then dry and if needed will heat the head end with a hair dryer.
Tubs is in one of those plastic starter crates with a divider, he is in the larger section with a hide and a water bowl, the other side is empty, last time i offered him food it was in his section where he struck constricted and then left the fuzzie all night with out eating it, i was thinking of placing him in the empty side covering him over and leaving him there for half an hour or so then offering him the fuzzie, he strike feeds, fingers crossed he'll take it and i'll give it a little wiggle once he has it then cover him over and leave over night, how does this sound?
Any opinions experiences would be appreciated, is it a good thing to move him into a strange and new place next door to his home with no hide and also he'll be able to smell his side as there are small vents in the divider? should i just try him again in his side?
Thanks guys, Darren.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
RusteDowg Posted - 14/09/2010 : 18:09:31
it is a strange feeling getting them to feed, just relieved i guess that everything is ok :)
Blackecho Posted - 09/09/2010 : 21:03:08
Good good
mischang Posted - 09/09/2010 : 20:46:09
congrats hahah did u get a warm feeling knowing he ate i do lol prob cause i nearly wee every time thery strike
RusteDowg Posted - 09/09/2010 : 15:13:55
and took this weeks feed just as well, defrosted on top of the crate this time for a few hours then placed on a hot water bottle for ten minutes then a quick blast with the hair dryer :)struck contstricted and fed right away and then looked like he wanted more, very active after feeding, maybe i'll try two fuzzies next week?
Blackecho Posted - 01/09/2010 : 19:59:57
Excellent
heaton177 Posted - 01/09/2010 : 17:38:21
congrats , bet your releived
RusteDowg Posted - 01/09/2010 : 17:29:15
Good news it worked! left the fuzzie out for around a couple of hours heated with a hair dryer and fed him on his side of the crate, he struck i wiggled the fuzzie he constricted and i covered his crate over so it is dark, had a quick look in through a gap and he was taking it down!
The joy!
Will keep him covered over for the night just in case, dont want him spitting it out!
Thanks again to this forum and all you guys for the excellent posts threads and your replies :)
Blackecho Posted - 01/09/2010 : 16:11:27
I tend to get mine out in the morning if I'm going to work and feed in the evening, but that's for adult rats, a fuzzy will probably only take an hour to defrost.
RusteDowg Posted - 01/09/2010 : 14:43:59
Thanks mate, as said above knocking the defrosting in water on the head for defrosting out in room temp on a paper towel in the empty section of his crate so fingers crossed it will give off a good smell and get his attention :) How long is safe out at room temp roughly to leave the fuzzie?
Blackecho Posted - 01/09/2010 : 14:00:37
I wouldn't put the rat directly into the water as you can wash teh lovely scent off. If you want to put it in water to warm then you could put it in a sandwich bag to keep it dry. However, I think defrosting at room temperature nearby and then warming with the hair dryer for 30 secs should be sufficient.

Don't feel you need to keep trying different things, sometimes it just takes them a while to want to eat.

Good luck
RusteDowg Posted - 01/09/2010 : 13:37:30
after reading something in another post i will also be defrosting the fuzzie in the empty side so he can smell it! newbie question but anybody tell me how long i should leave a fuzzie defrosting in room temp?

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000