The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 is it ok 2 feed him chicks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
koreybum Posted - 05/10/2010 : 22:21:14
been trying 2 get my royal on 2 rats from mice for ages now but 2 no avail. tried all methods but still he wouldn't eat them. also tried gerbils and then back 2 mice but he still wouldn't eat. after about 3 months of no eating, someone suggested that i try chicks. i did and he eat no probs, and again 5 days later. just wondered if its ok 2 keep feeding him chicks, and if so, is it easy enough 2 get the chicks, going up in size slightly, as you can with mice and rats?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 15/10/2010 : 11:53:42
Good luck! A useful tip with these fiddly messy jobs (realised this while making beef stroganoff) - use scissors and do it when the meat or other item is still half frozen. Also when you slit the chick up the middle the guts won't explode out (we hope). If you've ever had to skin chicken for curry etc you'll know the skin pulls off easily - chick skin ought to come off okay though it's going to be more fragile of course. Never done this myself, though I've skinned rabbits (eww!) and brained and snipped pinkies. (Felt like the hatchet murderer.)

Of course you may have done the deed by now (sorry!) - but, whatever, do hope you get him eating again. All the best.
fiestastlou Posted - 15/10/2010 : 09:51:40
ewwwwy rather u that me lol good luck! lol
koreybum Posted - 14/10/2010 : 22:47:45
have just tried the scenting the rat with a chic but 2 no avail.may try the skinning the chic 2 put on the rat, if i can bring myself 2 do it
Blackecho Posted - 12/10/2010 : 18:50:53
Have you tried scenting the rat as Anatess suggested?
lee2308 Posted - 12/10/2010 : 18:39:43
see if you can follow the chick with a rat,while his mouth is still open put the rat in.
koreybum Posted - 12/10/2010 : 16:50:57
the problem ive got is that ive tried on 2 seperate occasions now 2 get him onto rats, once him not eating for 2 months and the next time resulting in him not eating for 3 months. and it cant be due to the time of year cuz he's eating the chicks no problem. just dont know what to do now for the best?
Robert Posted - 07/10/2010 : 21:41:00
Not had a problem transitioning my hatchlings from mice to rats,perhaps I've just been fortunate, if you can get some small rat weaners so that the size difference isn't too great then that helps otherwise just leave them a week or so between attempts and eventually they do take and after that they don't go back, admittedly at this time of a year when some do go off food it can be harder.
n/a Posted - 07/10/2010 : 14:25:30
LOL - and there's the trick of skinning the chick and putting the skin on the rat like a jacket to con snakey into thinking he's getting a chicken kiev with rat filling ... lovely grub!
mischang Posted - 07/10/2010 : 14:20:36
i did once and never again the smell oh sorry guys it was rank !
anatess Posted - 07/10/2010 : 05:53:43
Try rubbing a rat on a chick for scent transfer and see if he takes... It's a long shot but it's worth trying...
Blackecho Posted - 06/10/2010 : 18:26:50
And the stuff that comes out of the other end seriously reeks!

Every now and again isn't a problem (unless your Royal become addicted),but I wouldn't feed them as a staple diet.
fiestastlou Posted - 06/10/2010 : 09:59:37
from what i hear chicks have little nutriants and can be addictive, you'd be better off with mice than chicks.
sandi Posted - 06/10/2010 : 08:46:38
Oh flip, didnt realise this would be an issue, Flo is about to make that jump too. Been sold some jumbo mice which she needs to get through first (didnt know they were less nutritious when i got them). Next step.....ratty!
n/a Posted - 05/10/2010 : 22:39:58
Hi - that's the next thing I'm facing, getting my lad from mice to rats - I believe it can be a bit fraught.

Sadly, though, from what I've read, I understand chicks have less nutrients than rodents - sort of snakey junk food. Sorry to be so discouraging. Hope you get him eating properly soon.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000