The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Problem with a non feeder

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tupolev Posted - 06/10/2010 : 22:03:15
I have a male Royal about 2 years old and have had him for about 6 month.The problem is that in that time he has only fed once so he knows how to strike but will not feed again.I have tried mice and rats defrosted naturally,and in water,I have tried naturally defrosted mice with their heads warmed up in water,but no luck.He seems interested has a sniff but wont feed.Any advice would be very appreciated.Best wishes Charlie
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 17/10/2010 : 14:50:15
Me and my partner lilruthie had problems getting our kiwee to feed she went 10 weeks without a feed' personally I woudn't worry to much as snakes often go into fasting as long as snakey is healthy all is well.
Kiwee feeds as regular as clockwork now and we've changed her from mice to rats we've found by slitting open the stomach gets her striking first time wether this down to the scent I dont know but its worth a try
heaton177 Posted - 12/10/2010 : 20:01:52
when i was changing my royal over to rats from mice he would onli take white 1s as the mice he was getting are white and started feeding him different colour rats when he had got used to the smell and the taste andhe goes for them all the time now :)
n/a Posted - 10/10/2010 : 16:01:55
LOL - as BE says, he may be thinking about the ladies ... so as Filardimarg says, get him interested in a chick!
filardimarg2 Posted - 10/10/2010 : 15:54:57
A tip someone gave me was scenting it with a chick, I have a female royal, she was feeding then stopped, so i got a chick, put them in same box in freezer, defrosted them together, then just before i fed her, heated them both up with a hair dryer, then rubbed the chick all over the rat, worked first time, i did this for about 4/5 feeds, then stopped, she eats normally now, no bother, worth a try.
Marg.
richard v Posted - 08/10/2010 : 08:25:06
I have been having a similar problem with mine also, he has been showing no interest at all with his food, just comes out sniffs it then turns away. The last two times however I went through the usual routine offering the food around 4-5 times but never gave up I spent aboult half an hour doing this he seemed more interested evertime. Then I just left it in the viv with him and just sat and watched he spent ages sniffing it, and at last started to eat but the wrong end he droped the rat whislt turning it around so I took this opportunity to heat up the head once more this time he struck and ate first time. This feeding time took around 1.5 hours which I know not everyone has the time for but it sometimes can be worth persisting.
Robert Posted - 07/10/2010 : 21:45:43
As Piers said above have you checked his weight ? If he isn't losing much then he will eat when he is ready, my Cinny Pewter is in his second year and took a couple of months before he started feeding and is now slowly getting into the routine, he used to lose a couple of grammes over a 3 week period so I wasn't too concerned as he was active and inquisitive, refrain from handling and try every week or so, as for colours I have a female who has a prefence for black and white rats but once feeding doesn't then discriminate lol
n/a Posted - 07/10/2010 : 11:33:47
Hi, yes, I've heard that the colour of the rodent can be a factor - they get used to one colour and don't like to change - faddy little gits!

Good luck!
tupolev Posted - 07/10/2010 : 11:01:46
Hi all Yes I have read the Feeding Tips ,I dont think he is unwell as he is active and certainly interested in the food just wont take it.As a thought could the colour be a factor go from white to black rats and mice.
Best wishes Charlie
Blackecho Posted - 07/10/2010 : 05:49:35
2 year old male, weather getting cooler now, may be thinking about the ladies.

Is he losing any weight?
Aaronjg Posted - 06/10/2010 : 23:10:42
hi tupolev ive had my 2 year old male for about 2 going on 3 months now and ive got the exact problem annoying but im not worried tryin not to panic
Paul Hume Posted - 06/10/2010 : 22:43:29
Hi there,

I know I may be pointing out the obvious but have you had a look through the Feeding tips sticky? I have only had my royal for 5 mins so can't offer any experience or other advice.

Good luck with the feeding

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000