The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 And for my next trick ....dimmer stats for the dim

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 10/10/2010 : 15:02:35
The great day has arrived. And so has my first dimmer stat. Shahi has had a heat mat up till now, but it was planned, as he got older, to switch to infra-red lighting. The bulb and guard is already installed - all we need now is the dimmer stat.

Right. I've already got my head round stats. Plug into mains. Heat source plug into thingy that looks like extension lead. Probe into viv.

In my innocence I thought a dimmer stat wouldn't have a probe. Just thought I'd have to plug light fitting into stat and I'd be away. I wuz wrong. There's a probe. And a nice diagram of probe dangling between light fitting and cold end. Okay. I can do that. I can even drill a hole for the probe. Hang on, though. If I want the probe to register the temp of the area where Shahi is likely to be, ie the floor (well, when he's not dangling from the ceiling or doing gymnastics on his bulb guard) then the probe is going to have to be pretty near floor level. Right, okay, no problem. And the temp's going to have to be adjusted to allow for the probe being the requisite 9 inches away from the light source ... oh boy, rocket science ... never mind. I've got a temp gun.

It's Shahi's feeding day. This is the plan. Feed snake, have everything ready, and once he's fed, put his feeding rub in the next room and let him rest for a minute or two while I drill the hole and install the stat.

Fine. Shahi strikes again! I even video him on my phone.

Shahi: Oo, Lil, am I going to be on Youtube?

Lil: Sorry, mate, I can't even get my head round Photobucket. And don't talk with your mouth full.

Shahi: Wosh wrong wish talking wish my mouse full?

I put him out of earshot and install the stat. Now, as I have said, the diagram shows the probe hanging neatly between light source and cold end. My probe has been scrunched up in the box and it's curly. Aaagh. A splint. A pencil will do, with cable ties. The house is infested with cable ties. but can I find the dratted things? No, of course not. Rubber bands, then. It's still hanging at a wonky angle. Sigh. Twiddle it a bit on the outside to a slightly less wonky angle, and tape it, on outside of course. Adjust viv, renew water bowl (which is now full of sawdust) and replace a slightly annoyed Shahi. (Boring in that rub, Lil.) Remember to draw his frilly net curtain on one side of the viv (he likes his privacy.)

Well. That's it. I think.

Now for an afternoon of fussing with the temp gun every five minutes ...
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 17/10/2010 : 13:03:45
Hi, Nic, yes I did. There's always the worry of 'do you measure ambient or substrate surface' but I got there in the end!
bonez007 Posted - 17/10/2010 : 12:24:17
lmao

never noticed on any diagram the probe hanging, normally shows on diagram where to put probe as in middle of viv :)

so did ya get ya temps good in the end lol

nic
nok1888 Posted - 15/10/2010 : 18:44:37
"Fine. Shahi strikes again! I even video him on my phone.

Shahi: Oo, Lil, am I going to be on Youtube?

Lil: Sorry, mate, I can't even get my head round Photobucket. And don't talk with your mouth full.

Shahi: Wosh wrong wish talking wish my mouse full?"

PMSL
n/a Posted - 15/10/2010 : 18:40:34
LOL! We serpently are!

(And as for the corn snakes, they're just cereal jokers!)
sandi Posted - 15/10/2010 : 17:45:16
Lilith, you and shahi are clearly as bats as each other!!!
n/a Posted - 10/10/2010 : 15:34:08
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

lol - have fun.

I shall ... I shall!
Blackecho Posted - 10/10/2010 : 15:17:55
lol - have fun.

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000