The Royal Python Forum
The Royal Python Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Viv problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nok1888 Posted - 15/10/2010 : 21:02:28
Turned off the heat mat the other day, now the warm hide temp has went from 30 to 26C and cold is 23C from 26 and I dont know how to raise them without the heat mat. I cant put the bulb any hotter because the temp on top of her hide is still 31-33C the heat will go up a degree when she's been in the hide for a good while.

Plus, the humidity has dropped to 35%. I used to have the water bowl half on half off the heat mat and the humidity was fine but now its came way down. I heard to put spagnum (Sp?) moss in the viv when shedding but will that not take the humidity too high for every day living?

Also, Orlina's skin has went a bit duller at places and there's an iridescent look to it like oil but still smooth and dry. She's also stopped coming out of her hides much (she used to be out every night exploring her viv for ages) and Ive saw her rubbing her face a little at the side so I thought maybe she was going to shed soon but Ive never noticed her eyes blueing or changing to any colour they are nice and healthy looking so not sure. When she's rubbed her head its usually the front/side and opening her mouth a little. I know she was definately rubbing on purpose because she turned the side of her head down and rubbed it while opening her mouth a bit, her skin doesnt seem tight though but im no expert in shedding. There's no sign of broken skin on her nose or head

Ive had a look at her vents which were all clear and healthy and looked for any mites but nothing so cant think what else. Maybe its nothing more than an itchy nose/head but thought i'd ask anyway

Any ideas?

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Snecklifter Posted - 18/10/2010 : 12:25:25
You could always put the heat mat back in.... :-)
n/a Posted - 17/10/2010 : 20:00:28
LOL - told ya!

They are crafty little gits - they come out at night, you know and read up on the forum (right, what can I do to confuse the human?)

Good luck with her shed!
nok1888 Posted - 17/10/2010 : 19:51:56
Cheers B.E

Just had a quick look in on her and her eyes are definately blueing, I knew there was something up. She's been very quiet and kept hidden away all the time.

Heres hoping it goes well

Do you think I should try a feed tomorrow? Some places say to leave them some says dont. Does it just depend on the snake or is it best to leave them to make the shed easier?
Blackecho Posted - 17/10/2010 : 19:05:16
You're always going to find that humidity is higher in cool temps, hence me asking what it was on the substrate at the cool end (55%), which is just about perfect
nok1888 Posted - 17/10/2010 : 18:54:53
lol just when you think one think they call you a liar lol

I'll keep an eye on her
n/a Posted - 17/10/2010 : 18:05:48
LOL - that's just what I thought about Shahi! 'It must have been the light - he's clear now.'

Then the little git went blue a few days later and shed just after midnight this morning.

Bless them!

Good luck with Orlina.
nok1888 Posted - 17/10/2010 : 17:57:14
Just been checking everything. After moving her hot hide to directly under the ceramic the inside temp is 30C so good start.

Humidity probe-

On substrate in middle of viv 34%
Inside hot hide 37%
Inside cold hide 55%
In damp hide 88% (never used it but thought I'd leave it to help over all humidity)

When the probe was on the substrate it was 34 and when I went back to check it was 54 so looked to see if it was where I thought it was and there was Orlina moving over it (and I didnt even see her whole body moving from one hide to the other....sad lol), so I figure if her body is at 54% then I must be doing something right. Happy now lol

Im not going to bother leaving the probe in since the readings are way different all over the viv so I'll just go in and check every few days.

And after all this, it doesnt look like she is shedding, she poked her head out today and her eyes were as clear as day, when I had her out yesterday I thought maybe they were changing a bit but must have been the light. Just wonder why she's went all quiet though. I'll leave her tonight see if she comes out or not and try feeding tomorrow night, wish me luck Im trying her with a weaner rat to see if she'll go for it
Blackecho Posted - 17/10/2010 : 14:13:58
Try putting the probe on the substrate at the cool end, see what it says.
nok1888 Posted - 17/10/2010 : 11:26:52
Ive got it hanging from the roof of the viv right in the center.

I cleaned her out last night, gave everything a spray before putting her back in. Hygrometer went up 35, 40, 46 so thought great. Went back about an hour later to see 20! and today 17%. It must not be reading right some how its only 2 weeks old and it was sitting between 50 and 55 for the first week n a half. As B.E said, it would have to be part desert in here to be 17%. Cant understand why its not working right, I'll take the batteries out for an hour just to see if it resets it maybe that'll work.

On the plus side, Orlina likes the new layout of her viv lol
Blackecho Posted - 16/10/2010 : 16:34:14
Where is your humidity probe?

I think its highly unlikely that its reading correctly though, unless your house is part desert.
n/a Posted - 16/10/2010 : 14:49:16
Hi. Yes, damp faceloth, or kitchen roll. Many keepers don't bother about the humidity level unless the snake is definitely going into shed - others like to keep up a certain humidity level, I know.

All the best.
nok1888 Posted - 16/10/2010 : 14:36:10
I cant get moss till next week, will a hide with a dampish face cloth in the bottom be ok for now. Like I say I dont know if she's going to shed yet but I need to get the humidity up quick. I just checked it 27%. I took it out the viv to see if it went up but it went down to 21% so thought maybe the hygrometer wasnt working so I breathed on the sensor and it shot up to 90% so I know its working.

Im going to spray the top of her warm hide and the aspen under the lamp the now to see if that makes a difference
n/a Posted - 15/10/2010 : 21:28:32
Hi, I'd say she's beginning to go into shed - Shahi did the same to me - dithered about and went quiet and dull - and now he's just cleared after his blue.

As for temps - oh boy it does your head in! Should the floor be 30, or the ambient temp or what ...I've ended up deciding that if the substrate (aspen) is 30-32 at the hot end and 26 at the cold, as in care sheet, then I've done my best. Open to other opinions though. And the tops of hides will be hotter because they're nearer the bulb ... why does a compulsive worrier like me keep a royal??

You have my sympathies!

As for humidity, there are so many different opinions ...I don't normally worry about that, but at the moment, because he's shedding, Shahi has two moss hides in there, one hot, one cold, and his water bowl is at his hot end.

His royal highness is, of course, asleep on a climbing branch.

Sorry, this isn't helping much. But you're not alone in being confused, believe me!

The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000